Guard Frequency Question

Old December 1st 03, 04:16 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Default Guard Frequency Question

As most of us have been doing these days, I spend a fair amount of flight time
listening to 121.5. This frequency has always had some sort of low level hiss
and crackle on it that I don't hear on other communications frequencies. Does
anyone know what causes this?

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 1st 03, 05:52 PM
EDR

In article , G.R. Patterson III
wrote:

As most of us have been doing these days, I spend a fair amount of flight time
listening to 121.5. This frequency has always had some sort of low level hiss
and crackle on it that I don't hear on other communications frequencies. Does
anyone know what causes this?

You can get rid of that... turn the squelch know until you don't hear
anything. :-))
Old December 1st 03, 06:17 PM
Robert Moore

EDR wrote

You can get rid of that... turn the squelch know until you don't
hear anything. :-))

I can understand hitting the adjacent leys when ryping, and also
those who don't down the difference between "know" and "no", but
how does "down" morph to "know"? :-)

Bob

Old December 1st 03, 06:23 PM
Jeff Franks

..... maybe he meant "knob"?

still not adjacent, but 3 outta 4?

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...
EDR wrote

Old December 1st 03, 06:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...

I can understand hitting the adjacent leys when ryping, and also
those who don't down the difference between "know" and "no", but
how does "down" morph to "know"? :-)

I read "know" as "knob". I realize it's not an adjacent key error, I
suspect he was a bit too quick in selecting a word suggested by his spell
checker.

Old December 1st 03, 08:04 PM
EDR

In article t, Steven
P. McNicoll wrote:

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...

I can understand hitting the adjacent leys when ryping, and also
those who don't down the difference between "know" and "no", but
how does "down" morph to "know"? :-)

I read "know" as "knob". I realize it's not an adjacent key error, I
suspect he was a bit too quick in selecting a word suggested by his spell
checker.

Yes, it should have been knob and not know.
My newsreader doesn't have a spell checker.
I touch type so fast the fingers move as if by themselves without
concious thought.
Old December 2nd 03, 12:16 AM
mikem

G.R. Patterson III wrote:
As most of us have been doing these days, I spend a fair amount of flight time
listening to 121.5. This frequency has always had some sort of low level hiss
and crackle on it that I don't hear on other communications frequencies. Does
anyone know what causes this?

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".

Let me guess, you have a Narco.

The Narco is the only com receiver which forces the squelch "open" when
it is tuned to 121.500MHz.

If you dont have a Narco, turn off every other blessed thing in the
airplane except your com receiver. It is possible that some other piece
of equipment is radiating a birdie right on 121.5, strong enough to
unsquelch your radio...

Mike M

Old December 2nd 03, 02:05 AM
Model Flyer

I read "know" as "knob". I realize it's not an adjacent key

error, I
suspect he was a bit too quick in selecting a word suggested by

his spell
checker.

Yes, it should have been knob and not know.
My newsreader doesn't have a spell checker.
I touch type so fast the fingers move as if by themselves without
concious thought.

I normally blame Microsoft, however I think I may borrow yours as it
much more plausable than mine.:-)
--
---
Cheers,

Old December 2nd 03, 07:55 PM
G.R. Patterson III

mikem wrote:

Let me guess, you have a Narco.

Yep.

The Narco is the only com receiver which forces the squelch "open" when
it is tuned to 121.500MHz.

Ah! Nothing to be done except change COM units, then. Guess I'll have to put up
with it.

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Definitive Bush in the Guard -- AWOL WalterM140 Military Aviation 5 September 20th 04 10:42 PM
Bush Balked at Direct Order From Guard Commander WalterM140 Military Aviation 8 September 12th 04 06:36 PM
GWB and the Air Guard JD Military Aviation 77 March 17th 04 10:52 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM