TWC

Old December 2nd 03, 02:11 AM
Jerry Jesion

Default TWC

Anyone see the report on the Weather Channel about the pilot who
crashed in the Rockies just west of Corons pass in late 1998? On the
way to Steamboat Springs from Boulder, got caught in a blizzard and
went down. No real injuries, and they were found by a cross country
skiier after a few hours. Their cell phone even worked! I have flown
in that area and am amazed that anyone lived through a forced landing
there.

Jerry
Old December 2nd 03, 02:53 AM
Bob Gardner

They've been repeating it ad nauseam. The guy made some amazingly stupid
decisions (or maybe non-decisions) and they treat him like Chuck Yeager
because they got out alive.

Bob Gardner

Old December 2nd 03, 03:55 PM
Jeff Franks

Similar to a guy who ran outta gas over Nashville a few years ago. At the
end of a ferry job, he was 5 miles from BNA and put an Arrow (I think) down
on a 5 lane undivided road AT NIGHT. My dad lived about half a mile from
where he landed. I have NO idea how he got through the powerlines. That
road is a mess above 20 ft.

Local news showed all the witnesses talking about how "great" a pilot he
was. LOL.

Of course, good press is better than the truth for GA in that case

news8Tyb.67$_M.235@attbi_s54...

Old December 3rd 03, 02:37 AM
Marvin

and they treat him like Chuck Yeager

They treat him like an arrogant dickhead who makes the pilot community look
like a bunch of jerks ? Is that what you mean ?

Old December 3rd 03, 02:55 AM
CC Wright

Marvin wrote:

and they treat him like Chuck Yeager

They treat him like an arrogant dickhead who makes the pilot community look
like a bunch of jerks ? Is that what you mean ?

No. That would be treating him like you.

Old December 3rd 03, 05:19 PM
Snowbird

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message news:p8Tyb.67$_M.235@attbi_s54...
They've been repeating it ad nauseam. The guy made some amazingly stupid
decisions (or maybe non-decisions) and they treat him like Chuck Yeager
because they got out alive.

Isn't that pretty typical of news coverage? I remember reading
a Reader's Digest article about an Angel Flight-type trip of
some sort, in a non-deiced SE plane in winter, and thinking "this
guy is making stupid calls all the way". Yet they wrote him
up as a big hero for "taking a flight not many pilots would
have".

Gack.
Sydney