Powerflarm Brick/Core ADSB Range

Old September 4th 13, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default Powerflarm Brick/Core ADSB Range

FWIW...So I got it all installed this weekend (SN10, PowerFLARM Brick/Core, Oudie) with mock-up cardboard antennas and a temporary test installation (no holes yet). I pushed the glider out of the hangar and watched myself ride a powerFLARM portable around the airport on my bicycle (trace recorded at a range of up to .8 miles). Then the fun part, I watched commercial traffic at ranges of up to 100 miles (10+ tracks simultaneously at one point) most at altitudes over 25,000 feet. The Oudie categorized the tracks and displayed them all perfectly. Almost as much fun as flying ;-).

The SN10 seems to have a range of only 5 miles. So its very functional but does not seem to allow long range viewing of airliners ;-(. The SN10's way of displaying the climb rate, altitude, etc is very simple to manage.

Thanks all who helped work out the kinks...

This is a pretty impressive combination of electronics.

Sean
F2
Old September 5th 13, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Interesting Sean, My powerflarm and pcas are working on my powerflarm brick, But I don't think I have ever seen an ADSB alert come to think of it.

Does the ADSB alert look any different than the PCAS alert? Or do they
look exactly the same?

Thanks, Joe
Old September 5th 13, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 6:05:44 PM UTC-7, joesimmers wrote:
Interesting Sean, My powerflarm and pcas are working on my powerflarm brick, But I don't think I have ever seen an ADSB alert come to think of it.

Does the ADSB alert look any different than the PCAS alert? Or do they

look exactly the same?

Thanks, Joe

It should look different since PCAS doesn't have GPS location information and therefore can't give you a target to display. Most displays will show some sort of estimated range "ring" and an altitude delta for PCAS. For ADS-B traffic you'll get an actual target at a location - complete with distance, bearing and altitude delta.

9B
Old September 5th 13, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:22:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 6:05:44 PM UTC-7, joesimmers wrote:

Interesting Sean, My powerflarm and pcas are working on my powerflarm brick, But I don't think I have ever seen an ADSB alert come to think of it.

Does the ADSB alert look any different than the PCAS alert? Or do they

look exactly the same?

Thanks, Joe

It should look different since PCAS doesn't have GPS location information and therefore can't give you a target to display. Most displays will show some sort of estimated range "ring" and an altitude delta for PCAS. For ADS-B traffic you'll get an actual target at a location - complete with distance, bearing and altitude delta.

9B

Being 'blessed' with a close proximity to the Chicago B airspace (Midway and O'Hare) we get ADS-B signals all day long. It's getting so distracting, I reduced the range and Alt. difference levels significantly. The Joliet VOR approach into Midway is very close to the club and I have had SouthWest going directly overhead at 1,000' above my position (I have a transponder). The display is very detailed with a green triangle moving across the radar-type screen with absolute altitude, altitude differential, range and climb rate displayed (same as PFlarm targets).
Herb, J7

PowerFlarm BRICK range issues - are we alone???? Mark Soaring 79 October 17th 12 12:17 PM
Powerflarm Brick feedback Ramy Soaring 7 August 10th 12 01:02 AM
PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
PowerFLARM 'brick' progress? Frank Paynter[_2_] Soaring 5 November 13th 11 07:28 PM
Display for PowerFLARM brick Andy[_1_] Soaring 4 May 10th 11 02:32 PM