Denver Terminal Area Chart Question - BVR vor/dme

Old February 6th 04, 05:19 AM
Blanche

The tower was not officially functional until after the deadline
for the sectionals. Nothing anyone in Colorado did (such as the
Colorado DOT/Aviation) could convince the FAA to put the tower
on the map last summer.

Old February 6th 04, 01:58 PM
Ron Natalie

"Blanche" wrote in message ...
The tower was not officially functional until after the deadline
for the sectionals. Nothing anyone in Colorado did (such as the
Colorado DOT/Aviation) could convince the FAA to put the tower
on the map last summer.

It took us over two chart cycles here to get a local airport turned blue
AFTER the tower was in operation. Getting NACO to do anything
proactive is probably hopeless. It's taken us two years to get the ADIZ
on the charts here. The gentleman from NACO who addressed a local
pilots meeting was either lying or ignorant (I'm tending towards the latter).
His excuse for not charting the ADIZ is that they couldn't put temporary
airspace on the chart (no precedent). This was doubly wrong for it's only
wishful thinking that the ADIZ is temporary (it has no expiration date) and
that there is PRECEDENT. We has special issues of the Washington
sectionals and terminal area charts back during the Atlanta olympics to
mark out the TFR's over several of the venues in the DC area used for
olympic preliminaries. If we can waste money issuing special charts
for soccer players, we certainly can fix the regular issue charts for airspace
that is deemed so vital to natioanal security in that it has to disrupt the
lives and livlihoods of aviations for a 100 mile radius.

Old February 8th 04, 12:40 AM
Geoffrey Barnes

As others have mentioned, you should always look up the VORs you're
using in the A/FD, which you should have with you as a student.

This thread has been brutal for me, but I must confess that I'm still lost.
I sat down with a CFI and the A/FD this afternoon, and looked for the
section on VORs. I found lots of VOR check points and test facilities, but
I couldn't find anything that listed all the VORs and their declination
settings.

So fine, I stipulate that I never graduated from junior high school (let
along high school), that my parents were niether married nor (in my father's
case) mammals, that 2 or 3 degress won't make that much of a difference, and
that I am so stupid that I have no place in the vaunted intelligensia that
is the GA community in general and this newsgroup in particular. So now
that the flaming is hopefully out of the way for daring to ask the question,
where do I find these things? Surely it can't be that they list these
things in some editions of the AF/D, but not in the one that covers
Pennsylvania. Yet honestly, I couldn't find it and the CFI said that he'd
never even heard of such a thing.

By the way, I'm not training with this particular CFI, so you can't flame me
by saying that my CFI is a retard. He just happened to be around the FBO
this afternoon and I took the oppotunity to ask him about this. Informative

Old February 8th 04, 01:12 AM
Bill Denton

What you need to do is jump back into the A/FD with the understanding that
there is no list, per se.

VOR's and NDB's are interspersed with the airports, in alphabetical order by
name (not ID).

For example, here in Chicago we have a "Northbrook" VOR, ID = OBK. It is
listed between Newark (airport) and Olney-Noble (airport) in the Illinois
section. Magnetic Variation is included in the listing.

As part of the ILS system at Midway Airport, there is an NDB named KEDZI, ID
= MX. It is listed between Kankakee (airport) and Kewanee Muni in the
Illinois section.

Hope this helps...

link.net...

Old February 8th 04, 02:15 AM
Gary Drescher

[...]

Geoff, don't worry--that last sentence alone establishes that you're smarter
than most of us here, as well as wittier and much more socially adept. :-)

As for your question--as Bill just replied, the A/FD intersperses navaid
listings with the airport listings. In addition, an on-field navaid appears
in the associated airport listing, rather than having its own listing.

It's a good idea to read an A/FD almost cover to cover once, to find all the
good stuff therein. (It's not necessary to read all the airport listings,
but a broad sample is helpful; of the ones you choose, read each
exhaustively.)

--Gary

Old February 8th 04, 03:07 AM
Blanche

The other thing you can do is take a sectional, identify all the
VORs then look them up in the AF/D. As already mentioned, the
VORs are interspersed with the airports. I still find the AF/Ds more
interesting to read than the FARs, altho the plot isn't as good.