CHARTER: rec.aviation.piloting

Old December 31st 03, 09:20 AM
Martin Hotze

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:12:05 -0800, Morgans wrote:

I have to agree that the two things that should be avoided are discussions
of religion and politics. They hold very strong views and emotions, and are
not likely to be changed by anyone's persuasions. All that happens is name
calling.

very true.
and I have to blame myself for also going OT sometimes.

#m
--
harsh regulations in North Korea (read below link after reading the story):
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/04/open-mikulan.php
Old December 31st 03, 12:22 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:16:55 GMT, "Chuck" wrote
in Message-Id: t:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

The "founder" of this rec.aviation.piloting usenet newsgroup, Jeoff
Peck, seems to have discontinued periodically posting its charter. In
the hope that knowledge of the charter will improve the newsgroup's
ever declining signal-to-noise ratio, I post it he

snip

Personally, I see very few off topic posts. This NG has, by far, the least
amount of OT posts and spam, than any of the others that I have been a part
of.

Until a rec.aviation.reader has had an opportunity to read and
understand the intent of a newsgroup's charter, s/he cannot know if
articles are on-topic or not. This was obviously recognized by the
newsgroup's original founder, Geoff Peck, as he posted the charters to
the rec.aviation.* hierarchy regularly until ceasing recently.

What I see is 1 person trying to "police" the NG now...

There is no means for policing usenet (with the possible exceptions of
spam canclebots and, of course, individual choice (self-policing or
responsible adherence to the RFCs that govern the network)). By
posting the charter, I merely seek to provide INFORMATION to those who
wish to responsibly participate in this forum.

Old December 31st 03, 12:28 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:23:04 GMT, john smith
wrote in Message-Id: :

If members of the readership of rec.aviation.piloting feel that the
constraints of this duly enacted charter prevent them from posting
articles that might be classified as 'hangar flying' topics (as
opposed to 'piloting' topics) just say the word, and we can start the
process to have rec.aviation.hangar-flying chartered, or they can post
articles on those topics to rec.aviation.misc.

I'm a native English speaker, and I still can't figure out what the
difference between piloting topics and hangar flying is.

You will note that the rec.aviation.piloting charter demands that
articles contain INFORMATION relating to specific piloting subjects.
Articles that fail to meet that demand would be candidates for
rec.aviation.hangar-flying IMO.

Old December 31st 03, 01:19 PM
EDR

In article nospam-94457D.20280830122003@shawnews, tony roberts
wrote:

I'm a native English speaker, and I still can't figure out what the
difference between piloting topics and hangar flying is.

Piloting topics have a basis of truth

Ohhhhh!!!! Now I get it! If a posting starts out, "There I was...",
it's hangar flying. If a posting begins with anything else, it's the
truth.
Thanks Tony!
Old December 31st 03, 01:23 PM
EDR

In article , Morgans
wrote:

I have to agree that the two things that should be avoided are discussions
of religion and politics. They hold very strong views and emotions, and are
not likely to be changed by anyone's persuasions. All that happens is name
calling.

Well, that pretty much sums up discussions about the current Bush
administration, doesn't it? Two subjects in the same thread. Oh wait,
that's why it's called the religious right! (now there's an oximoron)
;-)

Old December 31st 03, 03:13 PM
Chuck

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:16:55 GMT, Chuck wrote:

What I see is 1 person trying to "police" the NG now...

you don't have the slightest idea of usenet (and its creation and
surviving), do you?

Go ahead and give me the complete history...

Old December 31st 03, 03:13 PM
Verbs Under My Gel

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message gy.com...
Larry, take the tin badge you got for Christmas and go outside and play in
the street.

Ahem. Please take this to "alt.fan.larry-dighera".
Old December 31st 03, 03:15 PM
Chuck

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

snip
You will note that the rec.aviation.piloting charter demands that
articles contain INFORMATION relating to specific piloting subjects.
Articles that fail to meet that demand would be candidates for
rec.aviation.hangar-flying IMO.

snip

IMO = in my opinion

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Maybe others don't have the same opinions as you...

From: Geoff Peck )
Subject: CHARTER: rec.aviation.piloting
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: 2002-01-13 00:45:07 PST

The charter of rec.aviation.piloting is:

* Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft
* which would not fall into one of the other non-misc
* rec.aviation groups. Topics include, but are not limited to
* flying skills, interesting sights, destinations, flight
* characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations, handling
* emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
* flights, customs and immigration, experiences with
* ground support facilities, etc.

snip

Larry...

YOU participate in off topic posts. You are as guilty as anyone else.

Proof:

Date: 2003-09-17 08:00:37 PST
Boeing: Space shuttles to last into next decade
Larry Dighera

Date: 2003-10-17 21:17:49 PST
Boeing to cease 757 production
Larry Dighera

2003-07-21 19:15:33 PST
Chuckles
Larry Dighera

Do you want more?

Show me where any of the above mentioned posts pertain to General Aviation.
Read the charter before you spew more garbage out...