Flyboys

Old September 23rd 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross[_1_]

Default Flyboys

Dan Luke wrote:
"C. Massey" wrote:

While this movie was entertaining, it was also so unrealistic it's
pitiful! But, I just kept in mind that it's only a movie so relax and
enjoy it!

Doesn't work for me. When the smell of fertilizer gets too strong, I have
to leave.

In the case of _Flyboys_, a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 29% means it's a "wait
for the DVD" deal for me.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/flyboys/

I have seen movies that the "critics" raved about only to be really
disappointed. Critics do what they are supposed to do - nit pick films.
Go see the movie and enjoy. This months AOPA pilot has a nice write up
about the movie.

--
Regards,

Ross
C-172F 180 hp
KSWI
Old September 24th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Ross" wrote:

In the case of _Flyboys_, a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 29% means it's a
"wait for the DVD" deal for me.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/flyboys/

I have seen movies that the "critics" raved about only to be really
disappointed. Critics do what they are supposed to do - nit pick films. Go
see the movie and enjoy. This months AOPA pilot has a nice write up about
the movie.

A Rotten Tomatoes score below 35% guarantees a poor movie, in my experience.
That goes back years before I'd ever heard of the site. A critic or two may
be off base, but a large negative score from many critics is an ominous,
reliable sign.

The trailers for Flyboys remind me a lot of Pearl Harbor, a wretchedly
written piece of Hollywood tripe full of Pretty People doing and saying
silly things. I'll pass until it shows up on satellite TV.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 24th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Dan Luke" wrote:
A Rotten Tomatoes score below 35% guarantees a poor movie, in my
experience. That goes back years before I'd ever heard of the site.

I never heard of the site before. So I did a quick check, and if "The Devil
Wears Prada" is considered good by that site, it probably is the case I
would need to invert the ratings (or more likely ignore them altogether) to
determine if a movie was worth my time.

I get the impression the reviewers on the site tend to prefer "indie"
productions, giving them higher scores the more obscure that are. The more
a movie is into deep character studies, the higher it rates (nothing wrong
with that, if weighted in moderation). Good acting and character
development seem to be weighted very heavily by the reviewers and story,
plot, and visuals seem to decrease progressively in the weighting.
Naturally a flying movie of any sort that focuses on flying is going to do
badly when that kind of weighting is applied by reviewers. The characters
in Flyboys are simply too traditional and conventional for those reviewers.
I suspect that if the movie had some of the characters committing war
atrocities (or done _anything_ "out of character") the movie reviewers
would have gone bonkers and given the movie a great rating. All IMHO!
Old September 24th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"Dan Luke" wrote in message ...
:
: "Ross" wrote:
:
[...]
: --
: Dan
: C172RG at BFM
:
:

You are going to miss a good movie on the big screen. It looks like the rotten tomatoes review thinks that a war movie
has to be all guts and gore. I too thought it would be a 'Pearl Harbor' chick fliq, but it is not. Bob Hoover got up
during the premier at Oshkosh and said it was one of the best war movies he had seen...and I agree...

Old September 24th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross[_1_]

..Blueskies. wrote:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message ...
:
: "Ross" wrote:
:
[...]

I agree. If a movie produces an emotion in me then it has merit. I have
sat though movies that I just sat there. My wife usually does not like
these type of movies (when a movie is bad her legs start jumping and
moving like she is ready to go) and she stayed still during the movie.

--
Regards,

Ross
C-172F 180 hp
KSWI
Old September 24th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Ousterhout[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
Lot's of non-flying folks were in the crowd, and some of them will be
enamored enough with the beauty of this movie and flight in general to
head to their FBO tomorrow.

Bravo Sierra.

We all recall the thousands of pilots that only began flying because
they saw Top Gun :-)

- J.O.-
Old September 24th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

We all recall the thousands of pilots that only began flying because
they saw Top Gun :-)

Actually, Navy recruiting shot through the roof, after "Top Gun" hit
the silver screen.

Let's hope "Flyboys" helps GA in the same way.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 24th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Jim Logajan" wrote:

I never heard of the site before. So I did a quick check, and if "The
Devil
Wears Prada" is considered good by that site, it probably is the case I
would need to invert the ratings (or more likely ignore them altogether)
determine if a movie was worth my time.

I get the impression the reviewers on the site tend to prefer "indie"
productions,

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't have reviewers. It merely compiles what's out
there.

Old September 24th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Dan Luke" wrote:

"Jim Logajan" wrote:

I never heard of the site before. So I did a quick check,

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't have reviewers. It merely compiles what's out
there.

That's what I get for doing a "quick check". :-)
Old September 24th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
We all recall the thousands of pilots that only began flying because
they saw Top Gun :-)

Actually, Navy recruiting shot through the roof, after "Top Gun" hit
the silver screen.

Didn't believe that, but looks like you're right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun_(film)

"Unsurprisingly, it boosted Air Force recruitment and increased Navy
recruitment 500 percent. This was evident in the fact that the Navy used
its success by having recruitment booths in some theaters to lure
enthusiastic patrons."

Flyboys Dan Luke Piloting 8 September 9th 06 11:07 AM
Flyboys are Fag FRED Simulators 0 January 8th 04 12:33 PM
Flyboys? Cub Driver Military Aviation 91 December 29th 03 09:39 PM
"Last Samurai" and Bradley's book "Flyboys" Maule Driver Piloting 12 December 13th 03 10:58 AM
Flyboys by James BradleyFlyboys by James Bradley Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 29th 03 01:30 AM