The Garmin 496...a teenager's review

Old July 11th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default The Garmin 496...a teenager's review

"EridanMan" wrote in message ups.com...
On Jul 11, 2:22 am, "Blueskies" wrote:
"EridanMan" wrote in oglegroups.com...
Ok, as a 25 year old "Senior" Mobile Framework engineer with a dozen...

BTW, the reason I have that embedded board is because of this very
topic... Although I was focusing more on PMA instrumentation
replacement, not handheld GPS's.

Do you have any stock?

LOL...

Nah, currently I'm just a tech dork learning Embedded system digital
signal processing in my spare time.

I've got ideas of where to go with it, but before I go convincing
anyone else, I need to convince myself it's practical.

http://www.grtavionics.com/efis_horizond_series_1.htm

Old July 12th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"EridanMan" wrote in message
ups.com...

So can you load the 496 software onto your ARM board ?

There is nothing sacred about the 496's software. As I said, any
given month I hand A complex menu user interface to one of our mid-
level programmers and expect something cool back in three days to a
week (Far in excess of what you would need in a mobile device- Smooth
scrolling, live sprite elements, etc), all switchable so that we can
hit the full range of handsets without difficulty (and designed with
relative references to work on any screen size from 96x74 on up)

The 'hard' part is the GPS interface, and even that is growing more
and more trivial, with SiRF and others now offering integration
directly into an onboard embedded operating system with a runtime
library (rather than formerly having to process the analog signal to
digital and parse the data yourself).

Just go to your local electronics shop and see how trivially available
in-car GPS's are now, from every manufacturer... The technology is
_NO_ different (not even more reliable).

Hell, the 'truly' hard part for any device I would want to build would
be the 3d engine, and even those are coming available for some of the
wider-supported embedded platforms... If not, I'm good friends with
the gentleman who did the 3d engine for Commanche and several other
mid-90s products, so worse comes to worse I could do my own. (I'm
very interested in 'virtual-forward' views and perspective terrain).

The map data itself is fairly trivial... a bit of licensing expense,
that's all.

It actually strikes me more and more that, I will bet you dollars to
donuts that the only reason Lawrence and Avmap don't have XM weather
is an exclusive contract with Garmin that Garmin is paying good money
to maintain... (that's how things work in my industry, its not about
the technology, its about the Licenses... its not what do you make,
its who do you have). Why take the risk on designing a new project
when for a stipend per month you can have the whole market to
yourself?

I have _NO_ evidence of this of course... But its standard fare
business practice in my industry, and frankly I would be surprised if
that _wasn't_ the case.

Wish I had the cash to play with a 496 and clone it's TSOP if it has one. 3m
the 496 hahahaha!!! 1 Weather sub for all.

Old July 16th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

3. You want to check the runways at your destination airport, which is
NOT displayed. (Remember, you're zoomed in so that you can see stuff.)
The 496 has the runways stored in its database -- all you have to do
is put your cursor on the desired airport and hit "enter" to see them
all.

4. In order to click on the desired airport, you must "slew" the
cursor off the edge of the screen in order to find it. This means
hold the arrow button down, slew to the edge of the screen -- wait
three seconds while the screen disappears and reappears -- and
continue.

The REALLY bad thing is that the cursor doesn't stop moving when the
screen disappears, so that in those three seconds you can easily WAY
over-shoot your target airport. (I've even ended up in a different
state during the time it's blank.)

5. Repeat ad nauseum.

This process must be performed in order to see ANY of the good stuff,
including accessing the AOPA restaurant/hotel guide, radio
frequencies, field elevation, airport diagrams, METAR and TAF weather
-- you name it, you've got to put your cursor on the airport and push
"enter" to activate it -- which means slewing.

RTFM. Press and hold the Direct To button. There's your menu.
Old July 16th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

RTFM. Press and hold the Direct To button. There's your menu.

That works for your destination only.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 16th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:
RTFM. Press and hold the Direct To button. There's your menu.

That works for your destination only.

That's what you asked for under #3.

Garmin 496 Review Mike Granby Piloting 14 August 3rd 06 02:42 AM
Garmin 496 Review Mike Granby Owning 14 August 3rd 06 02:42 AM
This is why Garmin 296's street price has been dropping -> Garmin 396 [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 7 July 11th 05 06:39 PM
Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Piloting 10 March 23rd 05 01:16 AM
Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Products 10 April 29th 04 06:57 AM