Wing Stands

Old May 13th 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider[_2_]

Default Wing Stands

I'll bet everyone knows about the RIGID, Flip Top, Portable Work
Stations available from Home Depot.
Stable, sturdy and extendable. Price is only $30 on line...plus
shipping.
Anyone have any "Issues" with these stands?
GA
Old May 13th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Britton

I use one and like it better than my Cobra one since it has a wider
spot for the wing to sit on, plus 4 wide legs instead of the normal
3. Collapses to almost half the length of my trailer box.
I added foam padding plus a carpet covering to the top. Although I've
seen some use it with just some foam glued to the top.

The only issue I had with mine is the tightening handle broke off
after many, many repeated uses. I was tightening down way too hard
though. Bought some replacement handles and haven't broken another
one since.

Britton (strong arm) B.
Old May 13th 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On May 13, 10:26*am, glider wrote:
I'll bet everyone knows about the RIGID, Flip Top, Portable Work
Stations available from Home Depot.
*Stable, sturdy and extendable. Price is only $30 on line...plus
shipping.
*Anyone have any "Issues" with these stands?
*GA

You can get good Pearl 900 Series Cymbal Stands for about $50 each on
line if you look around. Can't get better stand than those. Everyone
that sees the sets I've made love them. High quality, break down to
very small size and very stable.

Old May 13th 10, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On May 13, 11:15*am, Britton wrote:
I use one and like it better than my Cobra one since it has a wider
spot for the wing to sit on, plus 4 wide legs instead of the normal
3. *Collapses to almost half the length of my trailer box.
I added foam padding plus a carpet covering to the top. *Although I've
seen some use it with just some foam glued to the top.

The only issue I had with mine is the tightening handle broke off
after many, many repeated uses. *I was tightening down way too hard
though. *Bought some replacement handles and haven't broken another
one since.

Britton (strong arm) B.

Okay stand, but I also broke the original handle. Easily repaired or
replaced. Four-point base, which will tend to wobble more than a
three-point base.
Old May 13th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

Tim,

Any chance you've got some photos somewhere that you can share? I've
often thought that musical stands, either for speakers or percussion
instruments would be a good base from which to modify into a very
durable and sturdy wing stand. I'm curious to see how you modified the
top incorporate a wing support.

-Kevin
Old May 13th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On May 13, 2:56*pm, KevinFinke wrote:
Tim,

Any chance you've got some photos somewhere that you can share? I've
often thought that musical stands, either for speakers or percussion
instruments would be a good base from which to modify into a very
durable and sturdy wing stand. I'm curious to see how you modified the
top incorporate a wing support.

-Kevin

Kevin,

I use the Pearl C900 Cymbal Stands and just build a one foot support
with padding and a redwood top rail that is bolted in the center using
the threads on the top of the stand. The nice thing is the pad can
then be folded 90 degrees if you like for storage.

$58 each plus free shipping when you buy two at:

http://www.interstatemusic.com

I will take some pictures this weekend and send them to you.

Tim

Old May 14th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On May 13, 12:26*pm, glider wrote:
I'll bet everyone knows about the RIGID, Flip Top, Portable Work
Stations available from Home Depot.
*Stable, sturdy and extendable. Price is only $30 on line...plus
shipping.
*Anyone have any "Issues" with these stands?
*GA

I've got the "RIGID" "wing stand". Paid about $30, I think. Glued a
foam pad to the wing supporting surface.

As others have said, I too broke the handle. While the handle broke,
the hex-head it was attached to is still there. I just bought a
combination end wrench and just leave the box end on that hex head.

The only wish I have is for it to fold up just a tad bit smaller.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old May 14th 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On May 13, 10:26*am, glider wrote:
I'll bet everyone knows about the RIGID, Flip Top, Portable Work
Stations available from Home Depot.
*Stable, sturdy and extendable. Price is only $30 on line...plus
shipping.
*Anyone have any "Issues" with these stands?
*GA

The best deal around. They are immensely strong, easily adjustable
and fold up nicely.

My only issue is the top only tilts on one axis. I modified mine to
tilt about 20 degrees on the other axis so the top sits flat with the
under surface of the wing. I added carpet to the top with double
sided carpet tape.

Books on Military Rotary Wing to Civilian Fixed Wing Transition? Greg Copeland Piloting 5 May 2nd 07 03:23 AM
Wing Stands C-170A Restoration 0 April 30th 06 09:37 PM
Keith stands proud ArtKramr Military Aviation 9 June 9th 04 10:13 PM
~ HOW I LEARNED TO DESPISE BUSH & ALL HE STANDS FOR ~ MLenoch Military Aviation 0 March 27th 04 08:04 PM
Mylar tape wing seals - effect on wing performance Simon Waddell Soaring 8 January 1st 04 03:46 PM