Advice

Old August 4th 05, 01:49 AM
PilotsNurse

Default Advice

I hope this is not an inappropriate question for this usenet group, if
so please direct me to the correct group. So here is the question:
My boyfriend interviewed today for his first regional airline postion
and will be starting ground school 8/8/5 in another state. I was hoping
someone out there could give me a link or some tips on how be as
supportive as possible and what to expect during this time.
Thanks for any advice....Cindy

Old August 4th 05, 02:20 AM
Bob Fry

Send money. He will probably be making minimum wage or less when you
figure salary / hours spent at airport.

Also he will be busy learning all kinds of new stuff, some technical,
some office politics. So don't be high maintenance--doesn't sound
like you are anyway.

And congrats to him!

"cys76" == PilotsNurse writes:

cys76 I hope this is not an inappropriate question for this
cys76 usenet group, if so please direct me to the correct
cys76 group. So here is the question: My boyfriend interviewed
cys76 today for his first regional airline postion and will be
cys76 starting ground school 8/8/5 in another state. I was hoping
cys76 someone out there could give me a link or some tips on how
cys76 be as supportive as possible and what to expect during this
cys76 time. Thanks for any advice....Cindy

Old August 4th 05, 06:24 AM
Dudley Henriques

"PilotsNurse" wrote in message
oups.com...
I hope this is not an inappropriate question for this usenet group, if
so please direct me to the correct group. So here is the question:
My boyfriend interviewed today for his first regional airline postion
and will be starting ground school 8/8/5 in another state. I was hoping
someone out there could give me a link or some tips on how be as
supportive as possible and what to expect during this time.
Thanks for any advice....Cindy

Hi Cindy;

It's not inappropriate at all.
I can tell you that this assignment is probably the result of a long and
hard road of study and hard work by him. He has a lot riding on what will
happen in the upcoming months. He'll be trying hard to do his best, and this
is going to require a great deal of centered concentration on what he's
doing. It might mean he can't be quite as attentive as he'd like to be.
If you really care about him and want to help him, just be encouraging and
positive about things. Let him know in no uncertain terms that his
relationship with you is as solid as he wants it to be and that his career
is important to you as well as to him.
Whatever you do, don't lay a lot of personal baggage on him at this time.
He'll need all his attention focused on his work, and it might seem to you
that he's a bit "preoccupied" with all of it.
Don't sweat it, and just hang in there with him. My wife went through it, as
have many other women (and men as well) in professional aviation.
In the end analysis of all this, no one can really tell you what you should
or should not do, as it's a personal thing between two individuals unknown
to any of us here on the group. You two have to figure it out together.
My wife did, and we've been together for 40 years.
The fact that you cared enough about this to ask about it indicates to me at
least that the two of you are going to be just fine.
All the best to you, and tell him all of us wish him great success with what
he's doing.
Dudley Henriques

Old August 4th 05, 10:33 PM
Brien K. Meehan

Okay, he interviewed with an airline, presumably for a pilot's job, but
hasn't started ground school yet?

I'd like to hear more about that.

Old August 5th 05, 12:01 AM
Chris Ehlbeck

I've never worked for any airline but know two former CFI's who've gone on
to ASA and another regional. Both had to go to the company's "ground
school" before being allowed in an actual aircraft.
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PP-ASEL
"It's a license to learn, have fun and buy really expensive hamburgers."

ps.com...

Old August 5th 05, 12:28 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Chris Ehlbeck wrote:
I've never worked for any airline but know two former CFI's who've gone on
to ASA and another regional. Both had to go to the company's "ground
school" before being allowed in an actual aircraft.

That is generally the way it's done: 1) Interview and Sim Ride; 2) Get
Selected; 3) Company Physical; 4) Ground School; 5) Flight Training; 6) Flight
Check; 7) Fly the line as the most junior of the junior.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old August 5th 05, 08:47 PM
Mike Weller

On 3 Aug 2005 17:49:10 -0700, "PilotsNurse" wrote:

I hope this is not an inappropriate question for this usenet group, if
so please direct me to the correct group. So here is the question:
My boyfriend interviewed today

Today!!! Dang, he's already looking for alternate places to land.

And you're asking for help on a newsgroup?

And I don't mean to be flip about that.

As Tammy sang, "Stand by your man".

Mike Weller

Old August 5th 05, 09:04 PM
Mike Weller

I need to follow up on one phase I used..

Today!!! Dang, he's already looking for alternate places to land.

What I meant to say is the "He's so wrapped on procedures that one of
the questions he has to be asking himself is "What would be your
alternate airport?" It has nothing to mean about you.

Words are funny things when you're not in a real conversation.

Old August 5th 05, 09:44 PM
John Gaquin

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message

Okay, he interviewed with an airline, presumably for a pilot's job, but
hasn't started ground school yet?

I'd like to hear more about that.

There's more than one kind of ground school, Brien. This is not your basic
"Private Pilot Ground School", or some such. Each carrier is required to
operate their own ground school for new employees, to cover their approved
operations manual, plus company policies, procedures, etc., etc. Plus there
are periodic ground school requirements for crews, whether you stay in the
same aircraft for a while, or move to a different craft, or upgrade seats.
If you stay in professional aviation very long, you'll go through lots and
lots of ground schools.

Old August 6th 05, 08:32 AM
Brien K. Meehan

John Gaquin wrote:
There's more than one kind of ground school, Brien.

I'm very well aware of that, thanks.

I was asking the OP for more information about the specific situation.
It's easy to get scammed.