Komet Trailer Ramp Jack - NO SCREWS

Old April 22nd 08, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Komet Trailer Ramp Jack - NO SCREWS

Shortly after I got my Speed Astir, I had to repair the screw jacks.
It was a lot of work, and my 'fix' didn't last but a couple years.
Last time it failed, I wanted to replace the screw jacks with
something simpler. This works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP2AD8rtdpA

An $11.00 pair of Razor Scooter wheels, a pair of low-end door hinges,
and some scrounged steel tubing.
Old April 22nd 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah Anderson[_2_]

Thanks for sharing your inventiveness. I'm pretty resigned to a jack of
some sort though, as your scooter wheels are going to require a hard
surface. I'm usually parked on turf.

Sarah

ps
The whole video has a "red green" show vibe about it. I expect Bill to
pop into the frame at some point.
Old April 22nd 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Huber

your scooter wheels are going to require a hard
surface. I'm usually parked on turf.

You can apply the same basic principle to your fuselage dolly, see
http://www.ewms.ch/Anhaengerfotos.html , scroll to the bottom of the page.
No problems on turf then,

Michael

Old April 22nd 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 22, 5:14*am, Sarah Anderson wrote:
Thanks for sharing your inventiveness. *I'm pretty resigned to a jack of
some sort though, as your scooter wheels are going to require a hard
surface. * I'm usually parked on turf.

Sarah

ps
The whole video has a "red green" show vibe about it. *I expect Bill to
pop into the frame at some point. *

It lacks Duct Tape! I'll have to include some next time!
I'm firmly in the "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" camp. I wouldn't
have built this if my scissor jacks weren't shot. My intense
'frugality' prevented me from spending $200.00 when I could do this
for closer to $20.00. Sure wish I'd incorporated some duct tape
though!
Old April 22nd 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Apr 22, 5:14 am, Sarah Anderson wrote:
Thanks for sharing your inventiveness. I'm pretty resigned to a jack of
some sort though, as your scooter wheels are going to require a hard
surface. I'm usually parked on turf.

Bigger wheels maybe, perhaps pneumatic? (for the turf issues) Methinks
this ramp 'jack' is brilliant, and I'm wondering what the hell I'm
doing making a new actual jack mechanism for my ramp when I should
just be making one of these lever-ma-bobs'. I bought 2 scissor jacks
made for a Porsche 941 that are made of aluminum and thus very light.
I still need to weld the acme threads together to work in unison and
bridge them with some more aluminum. End result-not as cool as the
lever-ma-jig!

Paul Hanson

PS. please pm me a drawing if you have one James
Old April 22nd 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Or, one could make one or two long rollers (like those used on roller stands
for material feeding - - sold at HF etc).

For heavier gliders, I still like the hydraulic ramp jacks as used on Cobra
trailers.

bumper

Old April 23rd 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Nice one, Jim.
Looks just as I imagined, after you described it at Jean.
Beats the battery powered "let's see if we can complicate this" or the
"wish I hadn't already butchered the two Porsche jacks" versions of a
ramp jack.
Use some plywood runners if the ground is soft. They can strap to the
floor of the trailer.
Apparently the video was shot on Roach Dry Lake, during the LVVSA Auto
Tow Weekend.
Jim
Old April 23rd 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 22, 7:29*pm, JS wrote:
Nice one, Jim.
* Looks just as I imagined, after you described it at Jean.
Beats the battery powered "let's see if we can complicate this" or the
"wish I hadn't already butchered the two Porsche jacks" versions of a
ramp jack.
Use some plywood runners if the ground is soft. They can strap to the
floor of the trailer.
Apparently the video was shot on Roach Dry Lake, during the LVVSA Auto
Tow Weekend.
Jim

Yes, Sunday after a fine weekend. An 18" square of plywood is more
than enough. Peggy was my "Beta Tester" I figured if she could lift
and lower UF fully rigged, it was enough leverage.