Trailer Ramp Jack - NO SCREWS - follow up

Old July 14th 12, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trailer Ramp Jack - NO SCREWS - follow up

On Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:35:41 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
To follow up on Uncle Fuzzy's design I modified the ramp on my Pfiefer
tube trailer from the early 80's.

Images at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/TTaylor07/TrailerJack

I used four wheels rather than two for a little more surface area. On
real soft ground you could carry two 12"x12" pieces of plywood if
needed.

Hi
One good solution used on a jantar is a jack to lift a motorcycle.
Best after market solution!
S6
Old July 16th 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Jul 13, 7:57*pm, wrote:
On Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:35:41 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
To follow up on Uncle Fuzzy's design I modified therampon my Pfiefer
tube trailer from the early 80's.

Images at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/TTaylor07/TrailerJack

I used four wheels rather than two for a little more surface area. *On
real soft ground you could carry two 12"x12" *pieces of plywood if
needed.

Hi
One *good solution used on a jantar is a jack to lift a motorcycle.
Best after market solution!
S6

1. Too heavy
2. Too bulky
3. Thrust bearings tend to break

So no it is not the best after market solution. Been there, tried
that.

Old July 17th 12, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Monday, July 16, 2012 2:42:49 PM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:

> One *good solution used on a jantar is a jack to lift a motorcycle..
> Best after market solution!
> S6

1. Too heavy
2. Too bulky
3. Thrust bearings tend to break

So no it is not the best after market solution. Been there, tried
that.

I'll second that. I've now rebuilt the original scissors jack for my 1999 Komet trailer 3 times; the outer thrust bearing has failed yet again. I still kick myself for returning the screw-jack version that they accidentally shipped when I first bought the trailer. Simple, robust, relatively light, and works as well at zero height as it does at full extension.

I looked at the motorcycle jack (Big Red or somesuch) at my local motorcycle dealer. The thing weighs nearly 40 pounds! And, there wasn't any reason to expect it to last any longer under the repeated cycles of use in the grass and gravel that's typical at our airport.

In the meantime, the UPS truck should be arriving at my house tomorrow with the pieces to make an over-center lever job. If I could just come up with a slightly more elegant way to store the long handle, I would be completely happy!
Old July 17th 12, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Burns

At 13:14 17 July 2012, Papa3 wrote:
On Monday, July 16, 2012 2:42:49 PM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:

One =A0good solution used on a jantar is a jack to lift a motorcycle=

..
Best after market solution!
S6

=20

=
Komet trailer 3 times; the outer thrust bearing has failed yet again.

=
still kick myself for returning the screw-jack version that they
accidental=
ly shipped when I first bought the trailer. Simple, robust, relatively
lig=
ht, and works as well at zero height as it does at full extension. =20

I looked at the motorcycle jack (Big Red or somesuch) at my local
motorcycl=
e dealer. The thing weighs nearly 40 pounds! And, there wasn't any
reas=
on to expect it to last any longer under the repeated cycles of use in

the
=
grass and gravel that's typical at our airport.=20

In the meantime, the UPS truck should be arriving at my house tomorrow
with=
the pieces to make an over-center lever job. If I could just come up
wit=
h a slightly more elegant way to store the long handle, I would be
complete=
ly happy!=20

a telescoping handle will be shorter and easier to store. should work