Power port in panel?

Old October 2nd 03, 03:11 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Power port in panel?

Is it legal to have your A&P install a "power port" (NOT a cigarette lighter
outlet) in your panel? Does it require a field approval?

I want something on the pilot's side that is more robust than a cigarette
lighter, to power our yoke-mounted GPS.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 2nd 03, 04:04 PM

Jay Honeck wrote:
: Is it legal to have your A&P install a "power port" (NOT a cigarette lighter
: outlet) in your panel? Does it require a field approval?

Silly Jay... *everything* requires a field approval.

: I want something on the pilot's side that is more robust than a cigarette
: lighter, to power our yoke-mounted GPS.
: --

Take a look through an electronics catalog for panel-mount
connectors. Try to find one that's keyed, can take 10-20A, and rugged.

-Cory
* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old October 2nd 03, 04:07 PM
EDR

In article NmWeb.666754$uu5.107616@sccrnsc04, Jay Honeck
wrote:

Is it legal to have your A&P install a "power port" (NOT a cigarette lighter
outlet) in your panel? Does it require a field approval?

Was it an option from Piper when ATLAS was built?
If the manufacturer installed it on other airframes, why would you not
be able to install one on yours?
Old October 2nd 03, 04:52 PM
Gerry Caron

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Is it legal to have your A&P install a "power port" (NOT a cigarette

lighter
outlet) in your panel? Does it require a field approval?

I want something on the pilot's side that is more robust than a cigarette
lighter, to power our yoke-mounted GPS.

Sounds like a landing light troubleshooting aid to me. 8-)

Gerry

Old October 2nd 03, 04:57 PM
Jon Woellhaf

My IA _eventually_ got approval (Denver) to install three power outlets in
my 182. It took over a year to obtain but was complicated mainly by the
addition of a standby power source for my electric horizon. Without that, I
think the approval would have been easy.

Old October 2nd 03, 08:43 PM
JerryK

Maybe you A&P just needs to "repair" your cigarette lighter with the new and
improved 3 outlet 10 AMP part.

Old October 3rd 03, 04:21 AM
Kyler Laird

"Jay Honeck" writes:

I want something on the pilot's side that is more robust than a cigarette
lighter, to power our yoke-mounted GPS.

I didn't pursue it, but here are my (old out-of-date) notes on EmPower.
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~laird/fly...ducts/EmPower/

--kyler
Old October 5th 03, 02:33 AM
Paul Sengupta

Got an XLR connector put in my panel that I run my GPS off (28V electrics).

Paul
(Hi guys, just popped in briefly!)

Old October 5th 03, 02:34 PM
Jay Honeck

Got an XLR connector put in my panel that I run my GPS off (28V
electrics).

Paul
(Hi guys, just popped in briefly!)

Hey -- where you been? We were just talking about you (behind your
monitor, of course... .

What the heck is an "XLR connector"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 5th 03, 06:12 PM
Kyler Laird

"Jay Honeck" writes:

What the heck is an "XLR connector"?

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=XLR+jack
An advantage to XLR is that you can find them at Radio Shack. Having
three pins (plus ground) gives you the option of being creative; add a
power line that isn't switched by the master, or run an audio input to
your intercom, for example.

--kyleer