Flight plan equipment suffix

Old November 27th 05, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flight plan equipment suffix

On 27 Nov 2005 14:59:17 -0800, abripl wrote:

OK. Then I can just continue using the /G for VFR. And it gives ATC
some ideas what I can do in inadvertent IMC. In fact I had one FSS
comment something that way on a flight filing.

Since you are NOT IFR rated, I doubt that ATC will even care if you are
slant Gulf.

They will be looking to give you vectors out of IMC ASAP.

If you have never been in IMC, you will be in for a very rude awakening AND
the GPS will be the last thing on your mind.

Don't let a simple thing like a GPS give you a false sense of security.

Your focus will be on just staying upright.

Allen
Old November 27th 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Because if the pilot declares an equipment as available, he should be
prepared to use it. No point in saying you have something if you are
not ready to use it.

Are you suggesting that pilots should file /G even if they don't know
how to operate the GPS?

Old November 28th 05, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If I fly in McNicholl's sector I'm going to file /Z !

Old November 28th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Because if the pilot declares an equipment as available, he should be
prepared to use it. No point in saying you have something if you are
not ready to use it.

Why wouldn't the pilot be unready to use it? The GPS still works, it's just
that the database is not current.

Are you suggesting that pilots should file /G even if they don't know
how to operate the GPS?

Are you suggesting that choosing not to keep the database current removes
the pilot's knowledge of operating the GPS?

Old November 29th 05, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I didn't suggest you didn't know how to operate the GPS. What I said
was

"Even if your GPS were current, but you do not plan on using it, don't
file /G."

The reason why you do not want to use the GPS is irrelevant.

Old November 29th 05, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Why a pilot may not want to use an equipment for navigation is
irrelevant to the discussion. The point is that if he does not want to
use it, then he should not file it.

Not knowing how to operate a GPS is one example of why a pilot may
elect to not use a GPS. I did not claim that database currency has
anything to do with a pilot's knowledge of using a GPS.

Old November 29th 05, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why a pilot may not want to use an equipment for navigation is
irrelevant to the discussion. The point is that if he does not want to
use it, then he should not file it.

Not knowing how to operate a GPS is one example of why a pilot may
elect to not use a GPS. I did not claim that database currency has
anything to do with a pilot's knowledge of using a GPS.

But you didn't explain why the pilot should file less than the maximum
navigation capability of their aircraft.

Old November 29th 05, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What is relevant here is that the OP has stated that he is VFR only. He
cannot use the GPS for his primary means of navigation, regardless of the
make/model of the GPS, the status of the database, or what equipment suffix
he uses when he files.

/G is reserved for GPS with en route and terminal capability. Without a
current database (for GPS certification) or an instrument rating (terminal
approaches) the choices are narrowed to /X, /T or /U.

Old November 29th 05, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

...What I said was
"Even if your GPS were current, but you do not plan on using it,
don't file /G."
The reason why you do not want to use the GPS is irrelevant.

I have no reason not to use it.... I use it all the time - just not for
IFR since I am not IFR rated. But from the comments I see that I can
continue indicating /G for my VFR flights even if the GPS data is not
current. So I think my question was essentially answered.