Cambridge 302 and GPS-NAV owners – IMPORTANT NEWS

Old December 8th 14, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

Default Cambridge 302 and GPS-NAV owners - IMPORTANT NEWS

A recent posting by Ian Macphee on the Aus-soaring list says that there
was an older aluminum color case version of the 302, and a newer black
case version. Supposedly the black units don't have the date problem
because they don't use the GPS25. It may just be age of batteries, but
I'm curious if the failures have been following this pattern.

I have a black case unit, just tested as good. Clock had drifted by 8
minutes prior to lock, then corrected itself. Unit probably built 2006
or 2007, battery might have been replaced recently, not sure.

-Dave

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 02:49:36 +0000, David Kinsell wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 18:08:27 -0800, tom wrote:

I wonder if the affected FR manufacturers could add a mod to detect a
timestamp prior to "now" and munge it to the current epoch?

Interesting idea, but quite hypothetical when it comes to Cambridge.

Garrecht Avioncs seems to have source code for the GPS module, and
intends to provide a fix in that code for their Volksloggers. It should
be straightforward to add another 20 years of life that way.

As the details of the problem have come out, it's become clear that the
fix being applied to Cambridge units isn't very good and won't make them
as reliable as they were prior to November. Probably makes more sense
to just go buy a Nano or something similar if you need to replace the
logging capability.

-Dave

Old December 8th 14, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My 302 just tested fine and it has the Black case and was manufactured in 2010.

Randy

Old December 8th 14, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_2_]

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 8:16:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My 302 just tested fine and it has the Black case and was manufactured in 2010.

Randy

Mine has a black case, how can I tell what year it was made?

Dennis
Old December 8th 14, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:30:50 PM UTC-5, HGXC wrote:
On Sunday, December 7, 2014 8:16:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My 302 just tested fine and it has the Black case and was manufactured in 2010.

Randy

Mine has a black case, how can I tell what year it was made?

Dennis

Do you have the Original calibration Certificate for the Logger?
The Date on it would give you a good idea of when it was made.

Randy
Old December 8th 14, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:30:50 PM UTC-5, HGXC wrote:
On Sunday, December 7, 2014 8:16:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My 302 just tested fine and it has the Black case and was manufactured in 2010.

Randy

Mine has a black case, how can I tell what year it was made?

Dennis

Dennis -- Don't you have a GPS Nav? GPS Nav's all made in 1990s.

-Evan
Old December 8th 14, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_2_]

On Monday, December 8, 2014 6:47:46 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:30:50 PM UTC-5, HGXC wrote:
On Sunday, December 7, 2014 8:16:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My 302 just tested fine and it has the Black case and was manufactured in 2010.

Randy

Mine has a black case, how can I tell what year it was made?

Dennis

Dennis -- Don't you have a GPS Nav? GPS Nav's all made in 1990s.

-Evan

Yep you are correct...I have a model 20 GPSnav. Its working fine I am just wondering if/when I will have to send it out.

Dennis
Old December 12th 14, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

So can flight computers such as SeeYou and XCSsoar who uses 302 as GPS source correct the erroneous year when generating their IGC file, and will the file still be valid for OLC? This will save the hassle and cost of repairing units for those who only use the files generated by SeeYou/XCSoar.

Ramy
Old December 12th 14, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

Only the record downloaded directly from the 302 is acceptable for IGC
Badges & records.

If an external program can modify one aspect of the file (date) what else
could it modify, and how would an OO check? (Rhetorical question).

=
file still be valid for OLC? This will save the hassle and cost of
repairin=
g units for those who only use the files generated by SeeYou/XCSoar.=20

Ramy

Old December 12th 14, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 07:54:42 +0000, Peter Purdie wrote:

Only the record downloaded directly from the 302 is acceptable for IGC
Badges & records.

That should be OK: XCSoar and LK8000 would just be using the 302 as a GPS
receiver and generating the log themselves so its a fair question. In
addition, AFAIK their logs have never been acceptable for badges &
records because they run on unsealed PDAs using either the internal GPS
or, if the device doesn't have, one they'll use an external GPS receiver.
Their logs are accepted for the BGA Ladder.

If an external program can modify one aspect of the file (date) what
else could it modify, and how would an OO check? (Rhetorical question).

They don't count as external programs since they are the source of the
log, but I agree that its difficult to see how an OO could sign off that
the log was generated securely.

I use LK8000 and have done so from its first release, but I also carry an
EW MicroRecorder. As far as I'm concerned, its very much a case of horses
for courses:

- the EW is for badge claims as well as BGA Ladder submission

- The LK8000 log is for my own records and possible for backup
submission to the BGA Ladder

- my (uncertified) Red Box FLARM's log is for checking FLARM coverage.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 13th 14, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pierre Vav

Hello,

Do you think the use of the external battery directly connectet to the 302 can help with this GPS issue?
(the 302 may be directly connected to an external 9V nimh, allowing the use of the 302 with no other power on board. Nice feature.)