Excel Formula minutes convert to hours

Old December 13th 04, 07:35 PM
Peter Seddon

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

"Peter Seddon" wrote in message
OK try summing a few time that when added are greater than 24 hrs. Or put

time in of 45hrs 36mins and see what it does then.

Peter

Peter,

I have been watching this thread and thought I would see what happens on
my
computer using Excel as delivered in Office 2000.

Using the format Category of "Time" and the Type "37:20:55" I entered
12:22,
14:38, 72:14 and the above mentioned 45:36. Summing this column gave an
accurate total of 144:50:00.

What version of Excel are you using?

Wayne,
http://www.soaridaho.com/

I'm on 2003 but the format you selected is for mins and sec + one dec place
of secs not hrs and mins

Peter.

Old December 13th 04, 07:40 PM
Andy Blackburn

Go to the menu item Format Cells

Select the Custom Category (at the bottom of the menu
on the left)

Type the following into the 'Type' box in the upper
right of the dialog:

[h]:mm;@

This will give you the standard flight log format -
hhh:mm (no seconds)

This works in Excel 2003 - but I don't think the formats
have changed much if at all since Excel '97

9B

At 19:00 13 December 2004, Marc Ramsey wrote:
Wayne Paul wrote:
Using the format Category of 'Time' and the Type '37:20:55'
I entered 12:22,
14:38, 72:14 and the above mentioned 45:36. Summing
this column gave an
accurate total of 144:50:00.

What version of Excel are you using?

I tried this in Excel 97 (I'm too cheap to upgrade).
The key seems to
be using the '37:30:55' time format in the Format Cells
dialog. If any
other time format is used, the values are interpreted
as time of day,
and wrap around at 24 hours.

Marc

Old December 13th 04, 07:44 PM
Marc Ramsey

Peter Seddon wrote:
"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
I tried this in Excel 97 (I'm too cheap to upgrade). The key seems to be
using the "37:30:55" time format in the Format Cells dialog. If any other
time format is used, the values are interpreted as time of day, and wrap
around at 24 hours.

Marc

I'm on excel 2003 and the 37:30:55 time format aint available to me.

It is 99.9% likely that there is an equivalent in Excel 2003, as
Microsoft never takes code out, they just add new features that nobody
uses 8^). There are probably at least three distinct hh:mm:ss entries
in the format dialog, one should work.

Marc
Old December 13th 04, 11:20 PM
OscarCVox

Excell does work like that! ie for a flight of 8hrs 57min you put 8:57
You have to use the format including seconds at the one for just hrs:min
will
give you a false reading at higher values.
I have entered my logbook for over 600 flights using this method and it
works
for me.

OK try summing a few time that when added are greater than 24 hrs. Or put a
time in of 45hrs 36mins and see what it does then.

Peter

Entered it, added it, it worked!!!
Read and try it

Old December 13th 04, 11:51 PM
Bob K.

You don't need Excel. Just go sailing on the Great Lakes in November.
They say that the waves turn the minutes to hours...

Bob K.

Old December 14th 04, 12:04 AM
Peter Seddon

Wayne Paul wrote:
Using the format Category of 'Time' and the Type '37:20:55'
I entered 12:22,
14:38, 72:14 and the above mentioned 45:36. Summing
this column gave an
accurate total of 144:50:00.

What version of Excel are you using?

I tried this in Excel 97 (I'm too cheap to upgrade).
The key seems to
be using the '37:30:55' time format in the Format Cells
dialog. If any
other time format is used, the values are interpreted
as time of day,
and wrap around at 24 hours.

Marc

That one works a treat;-)

Peter.

Old December 15th 04, 08:14 PM
tango4

Using later versions of Excel highlight the column that you will use for
your time entries and then select the format of that column ( Format /
Cells ) as 'Number' and select 'Custom' in the list box. In the 'type' box
enter [hh]:mm ( where 'general' is displayed )

The column will now total properly. ie

14:00
15:00
10:00

=39:00

You have to enter hours as X: ie with the colon otherwise X is interpreted
as X days - this can be picked up visually since the cell will display 24 *
X if you enter just the X.
minutes must be entered as 0:mm ie: with the leading zero otherwise the
entry is simply ignored.

Ian

Old December 15th 04, 09:43 PM
Peter Seddon

"tango4" wrote in message
Using later versions of Excel highlight the column that you will use for
your time entries and then select the format of that column ( Format /
Cells ) as 'Number' and select 'Custom' in the list box. In the 'type'
box enter [hh]:mm ( where 'general' is displayed )

The column will now total properly. ie

14:00
15:00
10:00

=39:00

You have to enter hours as X: ie with the colon otherwise X is interpreted
as X days - this can be picked up visually since the cell will display 24
* X if you enter just the X.
minutes must be entered as 0:mm ie: with the leading zero otherwise the
entry is simply ignored.

Ian

Yes I used that system and now my log book is workin perfectly on excel.

Peter.