Oooops, new AOPA SUA website errors

Old August 26th 05, 06:01 PM
Casey Wilson

Default Oooops, new AOPA SUA website errors

I just got my weekly dose of AOPA's E-Blurb. In it is an article about
AOPA's latest aid to navigation, a list of all SUAs and their current
status -- within six minutes, anyway.

Being as I am imbedded in SUAs with restricted areas and MOAs all around
KIYK, I took a gander at the two nearest ones, R2505 and R2505. BIG errors
in altitude regimes. 2505 is normally SFC to UNL and 2506 is SFC to 6K.
AOPA has them listed as 2505::6K to UNL and 06 as SFC to UNL. And both are
listed as HOT.

In fairness to AOPA, they are merely mirroring the information produced by
FAA at:
http://sua.faa.gov/atcaalist.jsp

That puts both sites on the incredible ( is UNcredible a word?) list.

Now for a telephone visit to my local friendly 800-WX-BRIEF. R2505 and
2506 are on his list as cold. And guess what, they are. Flex friday is a
down day at China Lake and all ranges are cold.

I guess the point is FAA needs to get on the ball and AOPA needs to quit
piggybacking stuff already available -- expecially when it is flawed.

Go Fly!

Casey

Old August 26th 05, 06:48 PM

Casey Wilson wrote:
[...]

Well, AOPA lists right at the top of their list that the information is
supposed to supplement, not replace a call to the briefer. Its the same
with the other online aviation databases out there (like AirNav for
example), the information on the web should not be used exclusively to
replace the official sources.

The SUA website is pretty new and has some other problems too (it's
dog-slow for one, which the AOPA list actually alleviates). But the
system is dependent on all the centers and military sources to actively
update the list.

I think it's a step in the right direction though. I predict after a
year of continuous use by pilots and the feedback they provide, the
list will be a fairly accurate way to keep up to date on the status of
the SUA's. In the meantime though, pilots who check the list and then
call the briefer can ask "hey the SUA site lists R2505 as being hot, is
that right?" From that perspective the list serves to remind pilots of
the SUAs in their area of flight and to explicitly verify them with a
briefer.

Pat

Old August 26th 05, 09:20 PM
Casey Wilson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Casey Wilson wrote:
[...]

Pat, you are right on. Which is why, as I noted above, I called my
local FS briefer to see what information they had -- which, incidentally,
the briefer had correct.
I see the problem as being that our community of airmen unfortunately
has a lot of dull tacks. Just witness the number of incursions into places
they don't belong or shouldn't fly in. I have a hunch that some of those
dopes might look at either of the SUA reporting sites as more convenient
than dialing 800-WX-BRIEF. A caller, after all, does have to listen, find
and push the correct buttons, and talk instead of clicking the mouse button
a couple times.
If you are going to call and ask if the SUA site is correct, why not
skip the site and make the call in the first place. And, if you've looked at
either site, your last sentence is totally wrong.
I've passed the error catch on to both AOPA and FSDO [couldn't determine
the right spot at FAA.GOV to send it to].

Old August 26th 05, 10:05 PM
Jose

If you are going to call and ask if the SUA site is correct, why not
skip the site and make the call in the first place.

Redundancy. Graphics.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
Old August 27th 05, 03:13 AM
BTIZ

doesn't Joshua Approach have a frequency that you can talk to them from the
ground?
Call 'em before departure.. they control the airspace.. if not.. as soon as
possible after airborne..

I love Flex Fridays..

BT

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 27th 05, 02:22 PM
Doug Carter

In article , Jose wrote:
If you are going to call and ask if the SUA site is correct, why not
skip the site and make the call in the first place.

Redundancy. Graphics.

Jose

Perfect for Jose. According to the text and the graphics the SUA is
both hot and cold; the pilot can safely fly and not fly through the SUA
half the time.

--
Heisenberg