What's your favorite youtube speedpass?

Old January 27th 14, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default What's your favorite youtube speedpass?

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:50:35 PM UTC-8, Sean F (F2) wrote:
OK, I thought 60 knots (at least) was the "right number" for patterns until established final. Especially that low. I certainly could be wrong.

This video was a very cool high speed pass for sure but it just seemed a little wobbly at first glance later in the pattern. I was nervous for the pilot. My apologies if 50 kts the correct pattern speed and/or is what the ASW20/27 manual recommends for patterns. My flight manual is in Florida.

Again, I may be wrong, but I was taught to always (always!) try to go at least 60 knots in the pattern. More often I fly 65-70. Sometimes when rough or windy, 75-80 thru the base/final turn. It is so easy for me to slow down from those speeds and control is so much better while making the turns..

Am I wrong for going that fast? Is 50 knots a better number?

Sean

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 8:35:26 PM UTC-5, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:25:13 PM UTC-7, Evan Ludeman wrote:

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:48:13 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:

The post mills guy was base, base to final and final at around 50 kts. Not very smart...

You can have your own opinion, but facts are just facts. I'm smart enough to know that much.

About 55 on base, 50 ish on final with full landing flaps + full spoilers. 48 works better on final if you need to be steep/short. Just like the Schleicher manual says.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Well done T8! Actually, I see it as an extremely well flown approach and pass, followed by precise airspeed control on downwind, base and final.

On the 29 Sean, that yellow triangle around 52 kts...its in your manual..

#711.

Minor quibble: Always and Never are two words that are difficult to use when applied to flying.

I have met several pilots that were taught "always" and "never" rules who seemed to get lost when the rule needed to be broken or just wasn't applicable. Application of skill and basic knowledge of aerodynamics should be applied to very situation. Like the 200 foot call-out, not all rules-of-thumb work in all locations or conditions.

MB (off the soapbox, flame-suit on)
Old January 27th 14, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Brayer

I think thats a bit fast for these racing gliders in calm conditions, they carry their energy so well. But you know that already. I add speed when the conditions warrant, but evan is a good pilot and i wouldnt call him unsafe.. Our manuals do say something a bit lower for approach speeds but there are 1000 ways to skin a cat.

Lets stay focused on the topic at hand, and not argue for arguments sake

And since this is a thread about speedpasses, and not approach speeds here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvfxI...e_gdata_player
Old January 27th 14, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner[_2_]

On 27/01/14 00:48, Sean F (F2) wrote:
The post mills guy was base, base to final and final at around 50 kts. Not very smart...

If you are interested in "buttock clenching" final glides
(as opposed to high speed passes), there's always this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZxvYMC2QvI

Don't fast-forward, and do figure out where he's going to land

Old January 27th 14, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUIidefCaA8

Maybe one of the scariest...
Old January 30th 14, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 1:11:50 PM UTC-5, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK5X...eature=related

Nice compilation! Some really good ones. My favorite one though is at 5:08....

My favorite nice guy Aviation Photos 0 October 20th 09 11:29 AM
Favorite Airlines Kloudy via AviationKB.com Piloting 0 May 7th 08 06:20 PM
Favorite picture of my favorite airplane. russell[_2_] Aviation Photos 3 August 4th 07 04:39 PM
Your favorite altitude Mxsmanic Piloting 87 May 4th 07 09:53 PM
Which one's my favorite cheese? Michael Baldwin, Bruce Products 5 January 20th 07 04:07 PM