A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Just out - the first colour e-ink android phone ... XCSoar folks take notice

Old May 6th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora
external usenet poster

Default Just out - the first colour e-ink android phone ... XCSoar folks take notice

Just out - the first color e-ink android phone ... XCSoar folks take notice.. I’ve searched and read through many thread on sunlight readability and devices in the cockpit and those that lament the lack of a new Dell Streak 5 with transflective display. Sure, newer OMELED phones are brighter but they still have one fundamental problem ... reflections off the glass. Some have wandered off to the light side (pun intended) and gone with modded e-ink readers but size is a problem and you lose the colour. There are some e-ink phones from Hisense or the defunct Yotaphone, but I just read today about a new phone, the Hisense A5C that has only been out for a couple of weeks that may be the answer to XCSoar users’ everywhere. It is the first android cell phone using a colour e-ink display and the screen measures 5.84” (not too big, not to small.) Cost new is $310 and battery life like all e-ink devices is supposed to be very good. It has GPS but doesn’t have a barometric sensor. Could be an interesting option for XCSoar users. I saw some early reviews and then found it for sale on the GoodEReader website.

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...ink-smartphone

Not connected in any way and posting link for information.
Old May 7th 20, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora
external usenet poster

Default Just out - the first colour e-ink android phone ... XCSoar folks take notice

Just found this video from CES 2020 when it was first shown. About 3/4 of the way through you can see the colour display being used. Again, it might be perfect for XCSoar’s limited use of colour.
Old May 7th 20, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Just out - the first colour e-ink android phone ... XCSoar folkstake notice

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 6:54:29 PM UTC-4, Stephen Szikora wrote:
Just out - the first color e-ink android phone ... XCSoar folks take notice. I’ve searched and read through many thread on sunlight readability and devices in the cockpit and those that lament the lack of a new Dell Streak 5 with transflective display. Sure, newer OMELED phones are brighter but they still have one fundamental problem ... reflections off the glass. Some have wandered off to the light side (pun intended) and gone with modded e-ink readers but size is a problem and you lose the colour. There are some e-ink phones from Hisense or the defunct Yotaphone, but I just read today about a new phone, the Hisense A5C that has only been out for a couple of weeks that may be the answer to XCSoar users’ everywhere. It is the first android cell phone using a colour e-ink display and the screen measures 5.84” (not too big, not to small.) Cost new is $310 and battery life like all e-ink devices is supposed to be very good. It has GPS but doesn’t have a barometric sensor. Could be an interesting option for XCSoar users. I saw some early reviews and then found it for sale on the GoodEReader website.

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...ink-smartphone

Not connected in any way and posting link for information.

Cool. But don't count on the battery life: e-ink when used to read e-books uses very little power (idle most of the time), but when running something like XCsoar which updates the display constantly that's a different story. I use Tophat on an e-ink Nook and it seems to use about 2 watts (400mA at 5V of external power). Hooked up to the main glider battery that's OK, and having GPS built into this Hisense device is a plus.
Old May 7th 20, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora
external usenet poster

Default Just out - the first colour e-ink android phone ... XCSoar folkstake notice

I hadn’t thought about the constants screen refresh and battery life. One thing mitigating that is that the device has a 4000mah battery which is much larger than other phones and the same as the Galaxy Note phablets.
Old May 10th 20, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora
external usenet poster

More colour e-ink technology available now ... for those of you who like the Kobo-sized screens. This review shows a colour e-ink reader and importantly to us, shows it being tested outside for readability. I have no doubt tag Kobo itself will quickly release a colour version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEPgP-8hAs
Old May 26th 20, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora
external usenet poster

Just found this brief video of someone running XCSoar on a colour e-ink phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zVj5bqBfA