Cobra Trailer Keys

Old May 25th 20, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Cobra Trailer Keys

I have just sent the question to Wings and Wheels, but thought I would ask here as well.

I have Key EK200. They now sell EK200A and EK200B. Anyone know if the keys are the same, but maybe just with and without the black plastic at the top of they key? They show EK450 both with and without plastic in their "ring of keys" picture.

No clear description on the Wings and Wheels website, or the Cobra website.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Leonard
Old May 25th 20, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim N

I ran into that problem with a EK500 key. The new one had a different cut pattern. So, I went hunting and found EMKA blanks at SteelCitySupply.com. Looking at their pictures I found a blank with matching side pattern grooves and ordered five. The keys were received in short order and I had them cut at Lowes. They work great.

Jim
Old May 26th 20, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

My issue is that I bought a 2012 Cobra trailer, and I don't know what lockset it has. It is currently about 1000 road miles away, so I can't have a look. I do have a full set of they keys that were available in 2012, so I am hoping I can get into the trailer if it is locked.

So, it sounds like there was a change somewhere along the way in at least the EK500.

I hope this trip doesn't become more work than is already planned....

Steve Leonard
Old May 26th 20, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

At one of the recent SSA Coventions, I talked to the Spindelberger people about my problems with finding a key blank for my 1984 Cobra here in the US and was told they can help me if I email them the information I have (basically year and trailer serial number).
Old May 26th 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 5:31:33 PM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
My issue is that I bought a 2012 Cobra trailer, and I don't know what lockset it has. It is currently about 1000 road miles away, so I can't have a look. I do have a full set of they keys that were available in 2012, so I am hoping I can get into the trailer if it is locked.

So, it sounds like there was a change somewhere along the way in at least the EK500.

I hope this trip doesn't become more work than is already planned....

Steve Leonard

Steve, time to start watching lock picking youtubes.

Craig
JN
Old May 26th 20, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Lock picking is fun. Bolt cutters to get a glider out of a field is savagery. Lock picking is a perishable skill, unfortunately you do need to keep your picking mojo in tune.
Old May 27th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 5:31:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Lock picking is fun. Bolt cutters to get a glider out of a field is savagery. Lock picking is a perishable skill, unfortunately you do need to keep your picking mojo in tune.

I've found a good torsion tool beats being in practice!
Scott
Old May 27th 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 26 May 2020 15:31:31 -0700, greggballou wrote:

Lock picking is fun. Bolt cutters to get a glider out of a field is
savagery. Lock picking is a perishable skill, unfortunately you do need
to keep your picking mojo in tune.

I've never tried safe cracking or needed to, but there's a *great* story
about that amusement:

"Safecracker Meets Safecracker" by Richard Feynman, the physicist.
Its his first story collection, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman"

The whole book is a cracking read, but if you just want to fins out about
opening locks, that story, is he

https://www.cs.virginia.edu/cs588/safecracker.pdf

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 28th 20, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Update: The trailer was not locked, so no need to break in. Ident marks inside said Key EK400. Got out my EK400, and it worked. Phew!

Now, on the the next phase of this project! With a minor side trip to correct an issue with trailer brakes...

Steve Leonard