KX-170B vs GNS 430??

Old January 22nd 05, 05:27 AM
Robert M. Gary

Default KX-170B vs GNS 430??

I have a slot in my very, very tight panel that current houses my
MX-170 (digital replacement for the KX-170B). How does the size of the
KX-170B tray compare to the GNS 430? I'm wondering how major the
surgery (i.e. inches of addition space required) must be in my Mooney
panel to fit the 430 where the 170B was?

-Robert

Old January 22nd 05, 06:31 PM
Marco Leon

I believe they're an exact fit. Not sure about the depth and wiring though.

Marco Leon

oups.com...

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 22nd 05, 06:58 PM
Jon Kraus

I just emailed you some pictures of the 430 residing in our '79 201. It
looks like an exact match to me...

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43Hotel

Old January 22nd 05, 07:16 PM
Maik

Will work. I installed new avionics in my Mooney M20J last April.
Righly tight....
Take a look http://gallery.payinter.de

If you plan to change something... do it right and change all parts that
you desire, because it is really a lot of work to do so in a Mooney.
One of my old rRadios was wirking only 50% and after trying 4 radios of
the same type to replöace my radio with a working one... and no one was
better than mine, I decided to do a complete redesign.

Which Mooney do you have?

Maik

Old January 22nd 05, 09:09 PM
Robert M. Gary

Maik wrote:
Will work. I installed new avionics in my Mooney M20J last April.
Righly tight....
Take a look http://gallery.payinter.de

If you plan to change something... do it right and change all parts

that
you desire, because it is really a lot of work to do so in a Mooney.
One of my old rRadios was wirking only 50% and after trying 4 radios

of
the same type to repl=F6ace my radio with a working one... and no one

was
better than mine, I decided to do a complete redesign.

Which Mooney do you have?

I have an F model Mooney. I just sent my MX-170 radio in for service.
If it ends up costing much to fix, I was thinking about just buying a
$400 KX-170B on ebay. Then I thought, I'd put in a King IFR GPS. But
then I figured that I still want my #2 nav and com (2 nav's let me do
my VOR sign off every 30 days easily). It also appears that the 430 is
the only IFR GPS taht does not require an external head for IFR
approach cert. Add to that the price of the 430 has dropped a LOT since
the 480 was introduced, and it seems to make sense.

-Robert

Old January 22nd 05, 11:42 PM
MLenoch

Add to that the price of the 430 has dropped a LOT since
the 480 was introduced, and it seems to make sense.

What retail price are you seeing?
Thx,
VL
Old January 23rd 05, 04:57 AM
Robert M. Gary

MLenoch wrote:
Add to that the price of the 430 has dropped a LOT since
the 480 was introduced, and it seems to make sense.

What retail price are you seeing?

For 100% new, aircraftspruce is showing $8695.00. Refurb ones are going
on ebay for around $5500. I figure about $3000 for install on top of
that.

-Robert

Old January 23rd 05, 01:27 PM
Maik

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Maik wrote:

[...]

430 will fit, but because all avionic in a Mooney is fixed with rivets
it ends mostly with a new handmade frame. So if you have any other think
that you want to change... do it at the same time.
I installed the 430 but only because it was about 3000 USD cheaper than
the 480...

If you do not really need an IFR GPS ... just buy a 170b and you will
have a lot less hassle... :-)

BTW: I just got two 170b out of a Piper Aztec in servicable condition.

For more questions about Mooneys try the mailings lists. About 1000
Pilots, Mooney dealers and mechanics
http://www.aviating.com/mooney/

Maik
80j D-ECPH

-Robert

Garmin 430 Reception Jon Kraus Owning 16 November 7th 04 03:17 AM
Garmin 430 Reception Jon Kraus Piloting 16 November 7th 04 03:17 AM
Accident report on the midair at Tenino C J Campbell Piloting 73 June 16th 04 09:03 PM
KX 170B Replacement Jay Somerset Owning 6 October 8th 03 10:09 PM