First glider Nimbus 2 ?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 20th 18, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:00:25 AM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:

At the pre-SSA Convention safety talk, one phrase really hit home. Burt Compton said his Dad told him "In aviation, anything you do for convenience jacks up the risk." (I think I wrote it down correctly).

Yes that's what I said however my next sentence was
"If you are aware of the extra risk and can handle it, then proceed."

Typical "convenience" scenarios may include downwind takeoffs, intersection takeoffs, landing behind the grid of sailplanes lined up to launch on the runway, downwind landings, rolling out very close to your hangar/car/trailer (what if the wheel brake fails?)

Ask me how I know! (51 years in soaring, so I may have successfully accomplished all of the above however downwind takeoffs with a CG tow hook have resulted in a couple of very early releases on the initial roll due to loss of directional control.)

If you can handle the extra risk . . . well, that's your decision.
And just because you did it 99 times before . . .

Burt
Marfa, Texas

First glider Nimbus 2 ? Surge Soaring 118 January 23rd 21 11:14 PM
Nimbus 2/2B thermalrider Soaring 1 August 23rd 09 02:12 AM
FS: Nimbus 3-25.5 JS Soaring 0 February 19th 08 07:49 PM
Nimbus down? [email protected] Soaring 2 November 21st 06 02:10 PM
F.S. Nimbus 3 [email protected] Soaring 2 July 12th 06 02:35 PM