Accelerated Glider Add-On

Old May 20th 13, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rtr

Default Accelerated Glider Add-On

I'm a PP-ASEL. I've been wanting to get into soaring for some time now. It appears that it will take quite a while with the local club to get an add-on complete, likely the rest of the summer. They only have one two-place glider and it's quite popular on the weekends.

I'm considering doing a quick add-on at a commercial place. Meet the PTS minimums, take the checkride, and have the formal stuff taken care of. That way I could come back and focus on learning art of the sport from the experienced guys in the club, most of which aren't CFI's.

So, any recommendations for places? Preferably some place with a DPE on staff or on call, I'd like to get it done in two or three days.
Old May 20th 13, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

On Monday, May 20, 2013 1:33:20 AM UTC-4, Rtr wrote:

So, any recommendations for places? Preferably some place with a DPE on staff or on call, I'd like to get it done in two or three days.

I did my Private add-on and commercial initial at Bermuda High, near Charlotte, SC. My CFI training I did at Turf Soaring, Phoenix, AZ, though I ended up taking the checkride in Florida.

Where are you located? The SSA website has a "where to fly" link on the home page that lets you look around.

Terry
Old May 20th 13, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Rtr - Where in the USA are you? Several Commercial Operations around
the country can likely help; but giving us your location will assist
in making a good recommendation. I was in a very similar situation
(see the end of this email) when I decided to go to Sky Sailing in
Warner Springs, CA (east of San Diego) to finish off my glider
ticket.

Also note that if you want to do an accelerated license you need to do
a bunch of the studying on your own (before you go to a commercial
operator) and if you're a simulator-kinda-person, perhaps look into
practicing with "Condor", the soaring simulator software (for Windows
PCs).

--Noel
....Who had ~55 hours in power (PPL +10 hours), and ~20 glider flights
with my local group, when I came to the same conclusion about taking
all season with club instruction.

Old May 20th 13, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Moriarty, NM. The owner is a DPE. The operation has two tow planes and two
Grob-103 gliders for training plus an LS-4 for rent.

But you didn't say where you are.

Old May 20th 13, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rtr

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the Pacific Northwest. I expect to have to travel, so location isn't a major factor. My primary concern is how fast I can get it done. (So some place with consistently good weather gets bonus points.) Secondary concern is what the total cost (including airfare and hotel) will be.

I don't mind studying up before I go. Anything that can make the trip shorter.

I've been looking into Condor. I'm a long time flight simmer and what I've read about Condor makes it sound great.
Old May 21st 13, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Monday, May 20, 2013 9:18:39 AM UTC-7, Rtr wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm in the Pacific Northwest.

Minden, Nevada (just east of Lake Tahoe) has spectacular soaring and amenities. Call SoaringNV at 775-782-9595 and see what their schedule looks like.

bumper
Old May 21st 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Moriarty has 6 or 8 motels and about 15 restaurants, none of them 5 star.
Fly into Albuquerque, rent a car, and drive about 40-45 miles east on I-40.

You should be able to solo in a day or two and fly your 10 solos (for a
private add-on, 20 for a commercial) in a day or two. We're into high
spring winds now so, if you consider Moriarty, call and ask the owner, Rick,
for advice on when to come.

Most of us here are blase about flying in 15-20 kt winds with gusts to 30,
but I think those are beginning to die out now (the winds, not the pilots!).

Old May 21st 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, May 20, 2013 9:18:39 AM UTC-7, Rtr wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm in the Pacific Northwest. I expect to have to travel, so location isn't a major factor. My primary concern is how fast I can get it done. (So some place with consistently good weather gets bonus points.) Secondary concern is what the total cost (including airfare and hotel) will be.

I don't mind studying up before I go. Anything that can make the trip shorter.

I've been looking into Condor. I'm a long time flight simmer and what I've read about Condor makes it sound great.

I agree with bumper; NV Soaring's gliders, people and facilities are first rate. You could easily drive there from where you live. You might even get some outstanding soaring in while you are there.

Tom
Old May 21st 13, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'd call Burt Compton http://www.flygliders.com/menu_of_services.html at Marfa Gliders in Marfa,TX. Marfa is a legendary soaring site and Burt is a master instructor. Subject to Burt's travel schedule, my guess you could arrange a one-on-one in his nice and fancy twin DG1001. He even has rooms attached to his facility.
Old May 21st 13, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Quick follow-up - here are a few to consider (some of which have
already been mentioned). I'm ordering them in terms of Distance from
the PNW (I'm in Seattle):
-----
Sky Sailing (Warner Springs, CA)
Williams Soaring (Williams or Montague, CA)
Arizona Soaring / Estrella Gliderport (Estrella, AZ)
Moriarty - Sundance? (Moriarty, NM)
Burt Compton (Marfa, TX)

Pretty much all of these have CFIGs and DPEs available to finish up
your rating and give you a checkride. Call around, check prices and
your travel costs, chat and see which outfits seem to jive with your
personality. And lastly: Study and prepare BEFORE you go. You're going
to have your hands full learning to handle their operations and their
gliders, so make sure you know the rules & regs stuff (as much as you
can) so you can concentrate on flying while you're there.

Good luck!

--Noel