Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day

Old June 27th 05, 06:09 PM
Deborah McFarland

Default Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day

July 4, 2005. Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day and Fly-In, Jasper,
Ga. (JZP) Vintage Flights and Alpha Helicopter will hop rides. Static
Displays. Children's Tent. Fly-in and have lots of fun in conjunction with
the city of Jasper's Fourth of July festivities. Contact: Pickens County
Airport at 706/253-8830 or event organizer, Deborah McFarland at
.

The first 100 kids will receive a free "Front Porch Gang" t-shirt (
http://home.alltel.net/damcfarland/ ) and a bag of aviation-related goodies.
There will be concessions on the field (Bubba's BBQ as well as hot dogs and
hamburgers).

All local pilots are invited to attend! Most of the crowd arrives after the
parade at 10:30 am.

Deb

--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)

Old June 27th 05, 06:53 PM
W P Dixon

Hi Deborah,
Do yall happen to have a CFI down there with a Luscombe? I really really
really want to try one out! Flying another Champ in Southwest Ohio this
coming weekend, wish I could make it down to see the McFarland
Squadron!!!!!!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 27th 05, 07:47 PM
Deborah McFarland

In the north metro Atlanta area:

Tom Shaw instructs out of Winder flight school at WDR. His home telephone.
706-654-2011; cell 706-658-7135. He has a Luscombe and has done many
Luscombe checkouts and zillions of tailwheel endorsements.

James Tatum at Habersham County (AJR) is 706-778-9978. Very nice gentleman
and a great airport! He has a Champ and Luscombe time.

James Collins at Calhoun (CZL) can be reached at Home: 706-232-1865.
Airport: 706-602-8000. No airplane, but this was/is my instructor, and he
can fly anything without training wheels including Luscombes of various
models.

Jimmy Garland is at S&S Aviation at Cherokee County (47A). He can be reached
at 770-479-6389. Again, no tailwheel airplane to rent, but he can give you
an endorsement in a Luscombe.

Try http://www.popav.com/Luscombe/ for more Luscombe information. A word of
caution: if you purchase a Luscombe, don't let a CFI in it unless he or she
has Luscombe time. More of our airplanes are groundlooped by inept CFIs than
any other cause. Luscombes are a dream to fly, but they are not Citabrias.

Come by when ya can, I'll give you a ride in each. They handle differently.

Deb

Old June 27th 05, 08:24 PM
W P Dixon

Thanks,
I will have to give those fellows a ring! I had checked around up here
and online and had come up with the big zero! But of course you can't even
find a Champ to rent up here. 7 hour drive Friday night to fly Saturday
morning!

Old June 27th 05, 09:24 PM
kontiki

Great little airport! I practiced many a touch and go up there.
Wish I could fly up for the get-together but I'll be working. :^(

Here's a link to pic I took on final approach to runway 34 one time
a few years ago... http://www.frontiernet.net/~kontiki/pickens.jpg

Good luck with the fly in!

Old June 27th 05, 11:42 PM
larsen-tools

I jumped at Pickens County airport in 1962, but I thought I was in South
Carolina.
Am I loosing my mind or did they move it ?? ...... it was a dirt strip at
the time.

Old June 28th 05, 01:19 AM
Deborah McFarland

You have not lost your mind. Pickens, South Carolina is almost 100 miles due
east of us. There's Pickens County, Ala. and a Jasper, TN, too. The unicom
frequency can get confusing sometimes on clear days!

Deb

Old June 28th 05, 02:04 AM
Kyle Boatright

Is the Red Barn up and running again?

For those of you unfamiliar with the area, the Red Barn is/was a very large
store just off the Pickens County airport that specialized in outdoor
stuff - hunting, camping, fishing, etc. A great Saturday destination if
you'd already eaten your $100 hamburger and had another $500 or $1,000
burning a hole in your pocket. Once you'd spent that money, you could just
fly to Falcon Field, which is 60 or so miles South, and spend the rest of
your inheritance at Aircraft Spruce East...

Unfortunately, the Red Barn burned a year or so ago, and I'm not sure if it
has been rebuilt/reopened...

KB

Old June 28th 05, 02:50 AM
Deborah McFarland

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Is the Red Barn up and running again?

They put up a yellow tent immediately to sell seasonal stuff and opened a
small store for clothing. The new building is coming along, and the style is
more southern in design. The big red barn helps us find the airport ;-).

Deb

Old June 28th 05, 04:03 AM
Mike Gaskins

That had me a bit confused too. I went to college at Clemson (which is
in Pickens County SC) and though it was close to the border, I didn't
think it was THAT close .

As to the event, maybe next year. Still working on my PPL and it's
further than I'd like to drive (I'm down near Charleston, SC). Sounds
like great fun though!!

Mike Gaskins

Deborah McFarland wrote:
You have not lost your mind. Pickens, South Carolina is almost 100 miles due
east of us. There's Pickens County, Ala. and a Jasper, TN, too. The unicom
frequency can get confusing sometimes on clear days!

Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day Deborah McFarland Home Built 16 July 1st 05 02:54 AM
Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM