Flight download

Old June 19th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Freeman

Default Flight download

Recently purchased a glider with an LNAV/GPSNAV Model 20 system. Does
anyone know of a simple and easy way to download the flight data
after a flight. I was hoping there might be something on the market
that would let you use a flash card or SD card etc. without having to
drag the laptop out to the field each time I fly. Any suggestions?

Old June 19th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

Steve Freeman wrote:
Recently purchased a glider with an LNAV/GPSNAV Model 20 system. Does
anyone know of a simple and easy way to download the flight data
after a flight. I was hoping there might be something on the market
that would let you use a flash card or SD card etc. without having to
drag the laptop out to the field each time I fly. Any suggestions?

Any of the older iPaqs will do the job using a Cambridge-supplied
utility, I'm partial to the 38xx models, myself (if you get one of the
earlier models, make sure you get a flash card sleeve with it). You can
get them for around $100 on eBay. Get a mount, cable, 12V to 5V
converter, plus one of the free glide/navigation programs (GPS_LOG or
XCSoar), and you'll have a 21st Century cockpit for about $250 total 8^)

Marc
Old June 19th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Freeman

On Jun 18, 8:41 pm, Marc Ramsey wrote:
Steve Freeman wrote:
Recently purchased a glider with an LNAV/GPSNAV Model 20 system. Does
anyone know of a simple and easy way to download the flight data
after a flight. I was hoping there might be something on the market
that would let you use a flash card or SD card etc. without having to
drag the laptop out to the field each time I fly. Any suggestions?

Any of the older iPaqs will do the job using a Cambridge-supplied
utility, I'm partial to the 38xx models, myself (if you get one of the
earlier models, make sure you get a flash card sleeve with it). You can
get them for around $100 on eBay. Get a mount, cable, 12V to 5V
converter, plus one of the free glide/navigation programs (GPS_LOG or
XCSoar), and you'll have a 21st Century cockpit for about $250 total 8^)

Marc

I realize that is a workaround option but I am looking for a solution
using the in cockpit equipment I currently have. I am happy with the
info while flying just looking for an easier way to get the data out
at the end of the day.

Old June 19th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

Steve Freeman wrote:
I realize that is a workaround option but I am looking for a solution
using the in cockpit equipment I currently have. I am happy with the
info while flying just looking for an easier way to get the data out
at the end of the day.

The GPS-NAV uses a proprietary serial protocol for download, so you're
stuck with using a laptop, desktop, or PDA running suitable software...

Marc
Old June 19th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell

Steve Freeman wrote:
[...]

Is it easy to remove the recorder? I unscrew one thumbscrew, disconnect
a couple of cables, and take the thing home at the end of the day to
download there. Just takes a 12-14 volt supply or battery.

-Dave

Old June 19th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My glider also has the GPS-NAV 20. Works well. At first, I used to
take it home at the end of each flight. That was not a big deal. The
unit is attached with velcro.

Later, I bought an iPAQ. Now, I download to the iPAQ, and then take
the iPAQ home.

Either way, you'll be taking something home.

Raul Boerner
LS6B - DM

Old June 19th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Freeman

A PDA sounds like a reasonable solution. Do you know if a Palm will
work. I have gone through all of the Cambridge Aero pages on their
website and cannot find any links to software to use to download the
data. Any suggestions?

Old June 19th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rromanATfrontiernetDOTnet

On Jun 19, 9:30 am, Steve Freeman wrote:
A PDA sounds like a reasonable solution. Do you know if a Palm will
work. I have gone through all of the Cambridge Aero pages on their
website and cannot find any links to software to use to download the
data. Any suggestions?

You can use "SoarPilot" with a Palm, it's free and available at:
http://www.soaringpilot.org/. I use it with a Cambridge 302A and a
Palm Tungsten T. I have not used it with a GPSNAV but according to the
Soar Pilot documents it will do what you want and more.

Old June 19th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Philip Plane

Steve Freeman wrote:
A PDA sounds like a reasonable solution. Do you know if a Palm will
work. I have gone through all of the Cambridge Aero pages on their
website and cannot find any links to software to use to download the
data. Any suggestions?

You can use soaringpilot with a Palm. http://www.soaringpilot.org/

For the built in option, check out what the Ozflarm guys are building:
http://www.rf-developments.com/index.php

Look for the Flarm-Nav. It supports connecting to a Cambridge 20 and
has a USB port for offloading the logs.

--
Philip Plane _____

Glider pilots have no visible means of support

AA77 9/11 Pentagon - Flight Data DOWNLOAD link [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 June 5th 07 08:10 AM
Using a Pocket PC to download Themi flight logs Paul Remde Soaring 5 September 14th 04 07:29 AM
Download Thijs Wolters Simulators 26 June 24th 04 03:36 PM
Lazair in flight movies to download web Home Built 0 March 11th 04 02:36 AM
Cambridge 302 problem: "Could not get FAT.(A)" while trying to download flight logs Jason Armistead Soaring 5 July 13th 03 02:36 PM