Suction mounts for Garmin 296

Old June 24th 05, 01:56 PM
Ekim

Default Suction mounts for Garmin 296

Looking to get a suction mount for my 296. Is there a better one out
there, other than the RAM Mounts?

RAM has a couple to choose from. One is longer than the other.

The shorter one only seems to have a ball on one side - does that
hinder the ability to angle the display to exactly where you need it?

The longer one seems to jet out about 4 inches. Seems to me to be too
long. But it has a ball on both sides, allowing more flxibility in
moving it around..

It's hard to make a decision based on a website. Has anyone used both
of these and willing to share their thoughts?

Old June 24th 05, 04:37 PM
RNR

On 24 Jun 2005 05:56:59 -0700, "Ekim" wrote:

Looking to get a suction mount for my 296. Is there a better one out
there, other than the RAM Mounts?

RAM has a couple to choose from. One is longer than the other.

The shorter one only seems to have a ball on one side - does that
hinder the ability to angle the display to exactly where you need it?

The longer one seems to jet out about 4 inches. Seems to me to be too
long. But it has a ball on both sides, allowing more flxibility in
moving it around..

It's hard to make a decision based on a website. Has anyone used both
of these and willing to share their thoughts?

About six months ago I bought a mount form these guys:
http://www.propellerheadpilotessentials.com/G-Force.htm

I'm very happy with it, both in my car and a variety of planes.
Rich Russell
Old June 24th 05, 05:35 PM
Wiz

I've used various RAM mounts. Currently, I'm using the large leveer
suction cup with a ball on it, a short arm, and a Garmin cradle with a
ball. Positioning is pretty flexible, and the stuff is solid.

Mark

--snip--

Old June 24th 05, 06:01 PM
Mark R.

I've used various RAM mounts. Currently, I'm using the large leveer
suction cup with a ball on it and a Garmin cradle with a ball,
connected by a short arm. Positioning is pretty flexible, and the
stuff is solid. I don't have it projecting straight out; the way the
arm is adjusted the Garmin is about 2 1/4 inches from the suction cup.
Works great in the plane and car.

Basically, you can assemble different RAM components to come up with
many different configurations.

Good luck,
Mark

--snip--

Old June 25th 05, 10:54 AM
Cub Driver

I bought one on the internet from an outfit called Force Ten. Works
great. Cost about fifty bucks.

I mount it just beside the front seat on the Cub, low on on the side
window so as to get the minimum vibration. (I'll get around to posting
a photo one of these days.) As you may know, the window glazing in the
Cub is not what you could call rigid.

I would rather have the GPS directly in front of me, but I tried all
sorts of tricks (I even removed the cushion from the front seat and
used the Garmin yoke mount on the seat frame) but the 296 is just too
hefty for that location to work. The suction mount on the side window
is the next-best thing.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old June 25th 05, 10:55 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:37:48 -0400, RNR
wrote:

About six months ago I bought a mount form these guys:
http://www.propellerheadpilotessentials.com/G-Force.htm

Oops! That's the one I got also (not Force Ten as I posted).