S80 issues

Old June 24th 16, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

Default S80 issues

I tried posting this before but it disappeared into the unknown so if it shows up twice I apologize.

Here's a short video of the Nearest feature on my S80. I had just updated to the latest firmware yesterday but it has had the nearest feature for a few firmware versions back. "Select Near" should be right under "Select"

https://youtu.be/qu80UoTaUqI

If Select Near is not there, are you sure you are following the complete firmware update procedure? The display and vario firmware update automatically when you insert an SD card with them on it. However you must update the "computer" portion of the unit using the password menu and a password of 89891. There will be several steps to follow to select the firmware update you want to install and then it will confirm if you have successfully updated the "computer" I hope this helps. If not let us know and maybe we can figure it out.

I'd like to have the list sorted by arrival altitude as well as distance. I'd also like the landable way points change colors red yellow or green on the map if you can glide to them or not.

Old June 24th 16, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

Select Nearest Feature

https://youtu.be/qu80UoTaUqI
Old June 26th 16, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

SO another issue:

I have the S80- almost where I really like everything. But when I got a warning yesterday while in a pretty tight gaggle the PCAS came back on, even though I have it disabled????? so I had to turn the S80 off and back on to get the PCAS to go away.

ps. Does anyone find the Thermal helper useful - A few people I talked to do not.

WH1
Old June 26th 16, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

I updated to the latest firmware and am very happy to see the nearest feature now! Excellent!

FYI, the gear warning alarm can no longer be tested on the ground. I'm guessing it requires the airspeed to be non-zero. Before, I used a small momentary switch that simulates gear up while on the ground and it allowed me to test the gear alarm prior to flight. Not a big deal really. Air brake warning can be tested however.
Old June 27th 16, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

If you really need to test it you can run the airspeed up carefully with a large syringe and appropriate tubing. Be careful you don;t pump in too much pressure.

A safer method is to just go to the menu under Hardware and Digital Inputs and check that the boxes for input 1 and 2 are green when the selected statements are true and red when they aren't. This checks your switches and as long as the firmware hasn't been updated if the warnings worked before they should work again.
Old June 27th 16, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 7:04:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
SO another issue:

I have the S80- almost where I really like everything. But when I got a warning yesterday while in a pretty tight gaggle the PCAS came back on, even though I have it disabled????? so I had to turn the S80 off and back on to get the PCAS to go away.

ps. Does anyone find the Thermal helper useful - A few people I talked to do not.

WH1

Bill,

I find the assistant distracting especially if it is set to automatically pop up when circling. I'm usually looking at either the Way point or Task page to better keep track of my exit or arrival altitude. The beep for alerting the strongest part of the thermal I find even more annoying so it's turned off.
Old June 28th 16, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My personal issue is with getting two superimposed aircraft symbols (usually pointing in different directions) on the Flarm screen. I suspect it is because the S80 is displaying both a Flarm input and a transponder signal, although I was led to believe that XPDR signals were merely distance and altitude.

Any hints?

Also, I really hope that LX will find a way to save and reincorporate user settings when upgrading firmware as opposed to resetting everything to factory defaults. There are a LOT of fields to reset!
Old June 29th 16, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

Greg, I too don't like the thermal helper. I turned it off.

The next minor nit I'd like to see changed is to get temperature displayed on the INFO page. There are very few times I'd like to know the outside temp, but when I do, I have to use a field on one of the major pages to display it which I don't want to do. Right now the INFO page displays flight level AND altitude which is totally redundant and available on other instruments, so those fields would be a prime candidate to use as temperature. I'd much prefer to use INFO page for less needed information that I can't get somewhere else like temperature when I want to see it. Of course, a configurable INFO page would answer everyone's needs.
Old June 30th 16, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

Outside Air Temp is on the info page for me. Not sure what firmware version that became available.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66126228@N08/c5za78
Old June 30th 16, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

awesome! how did i miss that? thanks greg. and thanks to lx nav for a great vario. it is amazing how much functionality is packed into that thing.

OLC issues Ramy Soaring 4 June 10th 09 07:55 AM
OLC issues Ramy Soaring 9 March 5th 09 04:58 AM
OLC Issues Union Thug Soaring 3 July 15th 07 08:14 PM
Issues around de-ice on a 182 Andrew Gideon Piloting 87 September 27th 05 11:46 PM
Issues around de-ice on a 182 Andrew Gideon Owning 35 July 18th 04 06:42 PM