Accident Statistics: Certified vs. Non-Certified Engines

Old January 15th 04, 02:50 AM
andy asberry

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:46:42 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:05:24 GMT, andy asberry
wrote:

I'm a freelancer, so I never can count on an article getting printed. I
submitted the accident series to KITPLANES, but haven't heard whether
they're going to take it, yet.

I curious, Ron. How long after submission do you wait for
acceptance/rejection before submitting to another publication?
Is there an industry standard?

In the pre-email age, it used to take three months to find out whether an
editor was going to take an article or not. Actually, it generally took
three months or more to find that the editor was NOT going to take
it...they'd usually get hold of you fairly fast if they decided to go for
it.

For individual authors, it's considered bad form to send a piece to more
than one publication at a time. For some weird reason, it's perfectly OK
for an author's *agent* to do that. So I'd never send an article to a
second magazine until I got a definite "no" from the first one. In the
past, I've waited three months before politely "pinging" the editor.

It's best to be sure before sending the article on to another editor...if
the editor of the first magazine thought he'd told you and put the article
in the production cycle, the SECOND editor will be very miffed if he or she
sees the article they bought appear somewhere else, first.

Now that email is so prevalent, notification comes a lot quicker. The
accident series is the first non-solicited article I've sent the new editor
at KITPLANES. While I've done several articles for him on assignment, one
doesn't really need confirmation of acceptance on those, since one already
knew the editor wanted an article on a particular subject. But in this
case, it came "out of the blue" for him...and since the editorial office
just moved to the opposite coast, things are still shaking down.

If he decides it isn't right for him, there are other outlets (Like CBS or
ABC's "20-20" :-). If all else fails, I just post it.

The wait for notification could be worse. My wife (a romance novelist) has
had editors take ten months or more to get back to her about novels she's
submitted.

Ron "It's fun helping with research" Wanttaja

I can see why freelancers would shy away from time sensitive subjects.
The article could be near stale before the first editor rejected it.

Thanks.

Old January 15th 04, 05:03 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:50:04 GMT, andy asberry
wrote:

The wait for notification could be worse. My wife (a romance novelist) has
had editors take ten months or more to get back to her about novels she's
submitted.

I can see why freelancers would shy away from time sensitive subjects.
The article could be near stale before the first editor rejected it.

Well, it's not *quite* so bad if the freelancer in question has an
established relationship with the editor. If I had a truly time-sensitive
article idea, I could just email or phone the editor at KITPLANES and say,
"Hey, Brian, what about...."

If he gives me the go-ahead, I'm then on assignment, generally with a
deadline. So things happen quite a bit quicker. Being on assignment is
handy for a freelancer; it does get you a little better attention. If I
call a company and say, "I'm Ron Wanttaja, a freelancer, working on an
article about...." I may or may not get much help. But if I can say, "I'm
Ron Wanttaja, on assignment for KITPLANES..." it opens doors quite nicely.

That's one of the fun bits with my name...it sounds a lot different from
what people think it does. Usually, once they see my name written, they
realize they've seen my stuff in print. But when they hear "Ron
Wahn-Tie-Ah" over the phone, they figure it's just some dumb hick trying to
break into the business. :-)

BTW, for those who didn't see my "Avwriter's Primer" posted here a while
back, I stuck it up on my web page.

http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/avwriter.htm

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 18th 04, 05:09 AM
StellaStar

Ron Wanttaja sez:

My wife (a romance novelist) has
had editors take ten months or more to get back to her about novels she's
submitted.

Ron "It's fun helping with research" Wanttaja

Ooh, ooh, I feel a muse coming on!

His strong hands preflighted her thoroughly as her pulse quickened. Had she
ever doubted that this ruddy-cheeked, leather-helmeted kitplane pilot was the
one for her?

The muscles of his mighty arms rippled as he tore off his shirt (tail). As he
plucked at her bodice strings they sang like the flying wires on an
overstressed FlyBaby. "Oh, not here in the open cockipit," she moaned.

I think I've got this. Who's your wife's editor?
Old January 18th 04, 05:36 PM
jls

"StellaStar" wrote in message
Ron Wanttaja sez:

My wife (a romance novelist) has
had editors take ten months or more to get back to her about novels she's
submitted.

Ron "It's fun helping with research" Wanttaja

Ooh, ooh, I feel a muse coming on!

His strong hands preflighted her thoroughly as her pulse quickened. Had

she
ever doubted that this ruddy-cheeked, leather-helmeted kitplane pilot was

the
one for her?

The muscles of his mighty arms rippled as he tore off his shirt (tail). As

he
plucked at her bodice strings they sang like the flying wires on an
overstressed FlyBaby. "Oh, not here in the open cockipit," she moaned.

I think I've got this. Who's your wife's editor?

Um, Stella, I had just started to hyperventilate and the ticker sped up when
you abandoned this titillation.