Speed Astir

Old March 24th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Speed Astir

Hi All,

Anyone here whos flown a Grob Speed Astir mind telling
me what its like to fly/rig/performance/price, etc.

Still trying to find something within budget.

Thanks in advance,

JR

Old March 25th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

where are you?? oh.. UK.. ok
in the USA,
to fly? got any glass time?
Rig? easy and as quick as any other single seat Grob?
Performance?? A kickass ride..
Price.. about $20K US with trailer, very nice entry level airplane.
BT

"Jono Richards" wrote in
message ...

Old March 25th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I owned N162SS for many years. It was my first privately
owned sailplane. I flew it at Minden so I had the
opportunity to fly with many other glass ships. I
also flew at a couple Air Sailing cross country and
racing camps. To tell the truth, the reason I originally
purchased the plane was because of the trailer. I
have no crew. The trailer was a Minden Fab set up
for one man rigging. I really enjoyed that plane.
It assembled very easily providing you keep the fuselage
upright while mating the wings. It was very comfortable
to fly and has super visability with a full length
canopy. If you trimmed it for 60 knots at zero degree
flaps, you could make all of your speed changes by
just changing the flap position and the plane would
be properly trimmed for that speed. The problems I
had were the stick forces for ailerons were a bit high
if you were going to fly for more than four or five
hours. The cockpit is long enough for a tall person
but it is narrow and my 5'10', 175 pound body had both
hips snug against the sides of the seat pan. The plane
saved my bacon two times when I was drawn into clouds
by super lift because it truely has a benign spiral
mode to get you down. The finish was just like new
when I sold it and there is a Speed Astir for sale
at Minden now that has a very good finish. It out
flew two different Standar Cirrus on glides on speed
above 70 knots. It seemed to be dead even with Discus
to 80 knots. I sold mine because I wanted more span.
Guy Acheson

Old March 25th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My syndicate partner and I have just sold our Speed Astir. It was our
first glass aircraft, and served us very well.
I agree with all Guy had to say except for the bit out aileron
pressures. But......we had winglets and that may have made a big
diference. Ours was beautiful on aileron.
It climbed well, ran well, and as far as I am concerned NOTHING comes
close bang for buck .
No silly hotelliers, simplrerigging, but make sure the fuse is square
in it's dolly or it will fight you.
The Speed Astir has received lots of bad press, and I guess if you can
ignore this and understand it normally comes from someone who never
flew one, just make the most of the low resale values and buy one. You
won't be sorry.
Airbrakes are fantastic and with 10 degrees plus flap it lands like a
baby.

Go for it!!

Cheers
MArk

FS - Grob Speed Astir IIB Fred Soaring 3 February 18th 06 03:22 PM
What glider if not a Speed Astir? Flyhighdave Soaring 28 December 22nd 03 04:42 PM
Speed Astir II B Flyhighdave Soaring 8 December 13th 03 01:08 PM
Speed Astir Guy Acheson Soaring 0 December 11th 03 02:24 AM