Elder Statesman/Most Senior Glider Pilot? - Otto Zauner

Old October 3rd 04, 05:25 AM
Shawn

B Lacovara wrote:
We do indeed have the winch Otto built at PGC. It is an ingenious piece of
equipment that has served well for many years - thanks Otto. On the topic of
oldest glider pilot… we have maybe the oldest student? Joe Beyer, who is 83,
just soloed after *beginning* flight training last year. Joe, who flew as a
crewman during WWII, is sharp as a tack and full of energy. I want to be just
like him when I grow up ;-)

Bob Lacovara
PGC

Sounds like Joe didn't bother to grow up either. Good roll model. :-)

Shawn
Old October 3rd 04, 01:59 PM
CV

NigelPocock wrote:

Derek Piggot turned 80 last year and celebrated it by flying a 500km in an ME7
- in england!

Nice to hear, and congratulations to Derek !

I had a memorable flight in a Janus with him out of Lasham,
uh some 15 years ago now iirc, just before he retired as CFI,
including cloud flying and close encounters with the smoke
pillar of one of those stubble fires, common towards the
end of summer: Smoke stinging in your eyes and lungs, rough
as hell, narrow and irregular core, but extremely rewarding
with strong lift when you manage to center it - not an
easy task in those rough conditions and on instruments.

Finally broke out on top of the broken cloud layer and
had one of my most enjoyable flights ever, once the smoke
had cleared from the cockpit and you could see and breathe
again.

But what's an ME7 ?

Cheers CV

Old October 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
Renny Rozzoni

In New Mexico our nominee is Al Santilli! Al still flies his Libelle
on a regular basis, is the local designated examiner, and he was born
May 28, 1914....which makes him our senior statesman at 90! I've seen
his license and it is signed by Orville Wright....RRR
Old October 3rd 04, 07:14 PM
Larry Johnson

CV wrote in message ...
NigelPocock wrote:

[...]

I believe it's the BGA? designation for a Russia AC-4.

Larry
Old October 5th 04, 05:38 AM
John H. Campbell

My guesses,
Ed Seymour (NY). First flew w/ Lewin Barringer's club, late '20s
Philadelphia
Al Santilli (NM). Whitewashed protruding rocks at 1st Natl'. Glider
Contest
Rudi Opitz (CT). Test flew all kinds of motorless wonders in the '30s

Old October 5th 04, 04:25 PM
Fred Voltz

In Wisconsin Gunter Voltz is still instructing power and sailplanes at
88. First soloed gliders in 1929, flew Luftwaffe WWII, just completed
FAA wings number 17.