building an aviation directory

Old February 18th 04, 01:50 PM
Larry Dighera

Default building an aviation directory

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:15:07 +0100, Martin Hotze
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Hello,

I have a rather good aviation related domain available and as there are a couple
of hundred visits a month to it I want to rebuild the site (the script is
available and webspace is no problem *hehe*).

the site will be an aviation only directory (mainly for airports) - the yahoo
style (yeah, just what we needed, another directory ...).

my question is:
what is the best way to build the structure? sorted by state/country? by type?

examples:
- Americas - United States - Arizona - $airport1|2|3
- Americas - United States - Arizona - Phoenix - $airport1|2|3

- Business - Flight Training - Advanced Training - $CFII1|2|3
- Business - Online Shop - $shop1|2|3

For sure you don't care where the online shop is located, but you might not be
very interested in a CFII from Florida when you live in California.

how do you search? by region or by type?
any other input?

martin

Why limit your users to a preset format? A form containing write-in
or pull-down boxes for each field of the search (a la Landings airmans
database) would let the user decide for himself what search criteria
he wants.

x-post, f-up set

Oops
Old February 18th 04, 03:09 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Martin Hotze wrote:

how do you search?

When I'm researching for a trip I intend to make, I usually search by city. I
frequently use Kyler's "nearest airport" link for that. I also search by airport
name and/or identifier. I generally find it a pain to have to include the State
in my search parameters, since sometimes I'm not sure what the State is.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 18th 04, 03:54 PM
Teacherjh

I generally find it a pain to have to include the State
in my search parameters, since sometimes I'm not sure what the State is.

And sometimes the city is on the border of several states.

Jose

Old February 19th 04, 07:04 AM
Jack Allison

Martin,

but look he
http://dir.yahoo.com/Recreation/Trav...tion/Aircraft/
this is as an example. I mean: how does one like to have the structure of

the
site?

Thanks for the example. What about having the following choices:
- Americas - United States - By state-Arizona - $airport1|2|3
- Americas - United States - By region-Northwest-$airport1|2|3

Regions for the US could be some something like Northwest, Southwest,
Northcentral, Southcentral, Northeast, Southeast (whatever makes the most
sense or is a generally accepted standard...just can't think of the right
ones right now...it's late...I'm tired). Something other than the three
"flight guide" regions of western, central, and eastern. For me, being able
to search by region would be handy when I know generally the route I'd be
going but may be passing through several states. On other flights where I
know the states I'd be passing through, state granularity would work great.

Just my two cents worth. Would be interested to see the site when it comes
together.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

how do you search?

When I'm researching for a trip I intend to make, I usually search by

city. I
frequently use Kyler's "nearest airport" link for that. I also search by
airport
name and/or identifier. I generally find it a pain to have to include

the
State
in my search parameters, since sometimes I'm not sure what the State is.

true.

but look he
http://dir.yahoo.com/Recreation/Trav...tion/Aircraft/
this is as an example. I mean: how does one like to have the structure of

the
site?

#m
--
http://www.MoveOn.org/

Old February 19th 04, 01:57 PM
Teacherjh

Whatever geographic boundaries you choose, let them overlap to avoid the issue
of every point of ineterst being at the intersection of two or more areas.

Jose