How many monitor 121.5?

Old November 8th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

Default How many monitor 121.5?

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Brad wrote:
.Blueskies. wrote:
The Maydays post got me wondering. I don't monitor except during the long
flights, maybe ~2 hours or longer...

Flying traffic reporters deep in the FRZ around the DC Beltway, I'm
always on an ATC frequency and monitoring air-to-air on the #2. If I
had a third comm...

Actually the SL30 (and the GNS480 which uses the same comm section)
can monitor the standby frequency. I can listen to 4 frequencies.
Even when I'm picking up the ATIS or something on #2, I've got 121.5
in the M channel.

It's mind boggling that it took avionics companies so long to add this
feature to their products. Dual watch was a standard feature in marine VHF
radios 15 or 20 years ago. I used to have an ICOM marine handheld that had
tri-watch. You could monitor two random channels, *plus* channel 16 (the
marine version of 121.5).
Old November 8th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

The one chilling MAYDAY I did here was on the Gary tower
frequency.

What was it about?

Old November 8th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
Ron Natalie writes:

The one chilling MAYDAY I did here was on the Gary tower
frequency.

What was it about?

It was a Piper cub that ran out of fuel over the lake.
One occupant dead, one recovered.
Old November 8th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jackson

On 2006-11-07, .Blueskies. wrote:
The Maydays post got me wondering.

I don't, because my backup radio is a Narco MK12D, and it's wired so
that 121.5 is always open squelch. My habit is to use the KX155 for
all my "people talking" because it remembers frequencies across power
cycling. The MK12D listens to ATIS and talks to ground.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 10th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

..Blueskies. wrote:
The Maydays post got me wondering. I don't monitor except
during the long flights, maybe ~2 hours or longer...

There is a NOTAM that REQUIRES us to monitor 121.5 "when capable".
If I am not actively using the second radio for ATIS or FSS, I have
it on 121.5 and I am monitoring. The NOTAM is plain, and I am a
simple person. I merely comply.

I am AMAZED at all the calls to airliners to "come up on
frequency XXX.XX and contact Center". :-)

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jeratfrii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old November 13th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

then going off to (get this) fingers.

What is "going off to fingers"?

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 13th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:
then going off to (get this) fingers.

What is "going off to fingers"?

Yet another inappropriate use of an aviation frequency.

Count on your fingers... 1 2 3 4 5, now use it as a
frequency... 123.45 MHz. It the assigned frequency for the
baggage handlers at Chicago O'Hare. The aim tells us to
use 122.75 and 122.85 for air-to-air (Mx, may I suggest that
you look it up in the AIM?). I also hear FAR too much chatter
from "Radio Free Boulder" on our Unicom frequency 123.3...
we need to be on that frequency... we have a license
for that frequency. The AIM describes uses of the frequency...
and it is not position and chit-chat. The Boulder group
could easily pirate onto 123.5 if they want to use an inappropriate
frequency (again, read the AIM and quote it before responding).
Or, the could use 122.75 or 122.85. Yes, I know "everybody
does it" and "we've done it for a long time and not gotten
in trouble" and "my instructor taught me this". That does not
make it right, nor current information.

Our ham club in Fort Collins, Colorado just toured the FCC
Monitoring Van (they paid a courtesy visit to Fort Fun). They are
currently interested in finding and fine-ing violators. It will
be interesting how many people find out the hard way that the
rules really are the rules. :-)

Old November 13th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bela P. Havasreti

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:25:24 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Fingers = 123.45