Land Rover in C-130 commercial

Old May 19th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Land Rover in C-130 commercial

After seeing this commercial and viewing the documentary on the Land
Rover website, I still can't figure out how they got the GPS unit in
the truck to work while inside the plane. The doc. showed a guy
sticking something to the plane's windows that might be an antenna, but
I doubt a dash-mounted GPS in a car would have an external antenna
input? Also they said the speed of the plane might be an issue for the
GPS. Can't figure that part out either.

Old May 19th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The media's lack of knowledge in anything aviation has been evident for
quite some time now with examples propagating themselves on a daily
basis. What irks me most about that commercial is that any $150
handheld can do the same thing. Considering Rover's target market is
probably a bit more intelligent than most, I wonder if the success of
this ad campaign will suffer from this obvious faux pas.

Marco

Old May 19th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is simulated, phony, but the speed issue can happen with
old GPS units. My recent hand held non-aviation GPS has a
limit of 951 mph.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old May 19th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
The media's lack of knowledge in anything aviation has been evident for
quite some time now with examples propagating themselves on a daily
basis.

Gee, guys...how did they get that meteor to crash right in front of those
four-wheelers in that one commercial?!

;

Old May 19th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kingfish wrote:
After seeing this commercial and viewing the documentary on the Land
Rover website, I still can't figure out how they got the GPS unit in
the truck to work while inside the plane. The doc. showed a guy
sticking something to the plane's windows that might be an antenna, but
I doubt a dash-mounted GPS in a car would have an external antenna
input? Also they said the speed of the plane might be an issue for the
GPS. Can't figure that part out either.

Several thoughts:

1 - The display was probably simulated.

2 - HOWEVER! One doesn't need an antenna jack with a re-radiating antenna:

http://safetracgps.com/Vortech.htm

I have one, and it works great. If the display wasn't simulated, the
Vortech could have been re-radiated the GPS signal inside the airplane,
making the car's GPS work correctly.

3 - But then again, EVERY dash mounted OEM auto navigation system
actually does have an antenna jack, it's wired to the _vehicle's_
external GPS antenna. G
Old May 19th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is simulated, phony, ...

I dunno, the documentary of the filming of the commercial seemed legit.

My recent hand held non-aviation GPS has a limit of 951 mph.

What is the limit due to? Is there a refresh rate for a GPS receiver?
Is it a RAIM thing?

Old May 19th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
oups.com...
What irks me most about that commercial is that any $150
handheld can do the same thing.

Absolutely. Or a compass and a stopwatch.

Considering Rover's target market is
probably a bit more intelligent than most, snip

Wealthier, yes. More intelligent? HHmmmm.

Old May 19th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have no doubt that they did drive a car into a C130. I
just question whether they went to the trouble to have the
GPS in the car actually work while in the cargo bay.

As for the speed limit on the GPS, I presume it is the rate
at which the computer can identify new positions and the CPU
can calculate, it is just a cheap $125 hand held.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old May 20th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
As for the speed limit on the GPS, I presume it is the rate
at which the computer can identify new positions and the CPU
can calculate, it is just a cheap $125 hand held.

That doesn't make any sense. You can measure your position every 30 seconds
and still get an accurate speed measurement.

Whatever the reason for an upper bound on the displayed speed, it has
nothing to do with the rate at which the computer in the GPS can do
anything, whether identifying new positions, calculating, etc.

Pete

Old May 20th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

At one time . . . and perhaps still . . . many GPSs for the civilian
market had a firmware limit on velocity . . . supposedly to prevent the
use of such a unit in a weapons system. I recall a number of around
900 knots . . . but do not hold me to that. My old Garmin 45 and 48
had it. Not sure about my newer ones.