Rand Robinson KR-2 opinions...

Old November 14th 03, 02:16 PM
Ralph Snart

Default Rand Robinson KR-2 opinions...

I'm a student pilot who is always looking to the next project. I am
finishing the resotoration of a 1967 Ford Mustang this winter, so next
spring, I will need a new project (money pit). The Rand Robinson KR-2 has
caught my eye - inexpensive, moderately simple design (as compared to other
kits, like the RV-6), good speed.

Are there any opinions/experiences about this kit?

Thanks

Old November 14th 03, 02:41 PM
Ray

I haven't had any experience with the KR-2, but have you considered the
Sonex? It can be plans or kit built. All aluminum, cruise 130 stall 40.
Conventional or tri-gear. I'm in the process of building one now. You can
check out their web site at:

http://www.sonex-ltd.com

I am not associated with Sonex Ltd in anyway, just my .02

Ray Kurian
Old November 14th 03, 04:15 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article t,
"Ray" wrote:

I haven't had any experience with the KR-2, but have you considered the
Sonex? It can be plans or kit built. All aluminum, cruise 130 stall 40.
Conventional or tri-gear. I'm in the process of building one now. You can
check out their web site at:

http://www.sonex-ltd.com

I am not associated with Sonex Ltd in anyway, just my .02

Ray Kurian

IMHO, the KR-2 is a marginal airplane, with an engine of marginal
reliability. I don't know what your flying experience is, but, being a
very small plane, the KR-2 will have a rather high sink rate and low
_penetration," where it will shed velocity rather quickly with power
loss.

I have seen a few of them, although I have never flown one, but I
believe that they have some landing gear problems. I have never seen one
that looked good (smooth surfaces, good workmanship, etc.).
Old November 14th 03, 04:41 PM
RobertR237

In article Fs5tb.148809$275.452007@attbi_s53, "Ralph Snart"
writes:

I'm a student pilot who is always looking to the next project. I am
finishing the resotoration of a 1967 Ford Mustang this winter, so next
spring, I will need a new project (money pit). The Rand Robinson KR-2 has
caught my eye - inexpensive, moderately simple design (as compared to other
kits, like the RV-6), good speed.

Are there any opinions/experiences about this kit?

Thanks

Take a look at the Vision instead. I think you will be much happier with the
results and the whole experience of building if you do.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old November 14th 03, 07:40 PM
Lpmcatee356

Are there any opinions/experiences about this kit?

Good choice if you like to work with wood. A good, simple, basic plane, but
most end up a bit overweight. Lots of unfinished projects out there to make
the initial investment low. Just keep an eye out for one with few
'enhancements' and good workmanship.

As for speed - the claims are about as accurate as fish stories. Same as with
most home builts.

No matter what brand you decide on join the corresponding Yahoo group and do a
bit of research.

My opinion - it can still be a good plane and was in it's day - but I'd look
for something that has taken advantage of newer methods and materials. And
don't overlook ultralights or a rebuild of an old T-cart or Knocker.
Old November 14th 03, 08:37 PM
Jay

Was talking to a guy at the EAA meeting last night who was saying that
its more of a scratch built than a kit. He also commented that there
were a lot of places in the plans that said "Improvise as necessary".
He's builing the stretch version (KR-2S) because of its greater
stability.

Regards

Old November 15th 03, 12:19 AM
Peter Dohm

First, I have no idea of the difficulty of the KR-2 to fly.

I know two owners currently, and both profess to really like the aircraft;
with an engine other than VW. Presently, I believe that one is in the final
testing stages with a Corvair conversion. The other had a Subaru conversion
for quite a while, and I believe that he has also changed to Corvair power.
According to all the rules of thumb that I have heard, a VW engine is small
for the airplane at a typical finished weight; and I suspect that most
owners operate the engines with two high a torque load and that some of the
older conversions may have had torsional resonance.

In any case, if you much are taller than about 5'7", the standard KR-2 just
isn't big enough!

Try on the KR-2S for size before you make up your mind; as it supposedly is
faster with the fixed gear than the original was with the wheels retracted.
In addition to being slightly longer, it is supposed to be wider and or
higher.

I am 6'1" and not especially broad shouldered (or anywhere else) and would
want the cabin at least 4" wider and 3" wigher, in addition to having the
turtledeck squared up to improve the headroom. So, it you are my size,
you will need to enlarge the cabin; and a lot of the engineering that went
into the wings and tail may be invalidated as the gross weight increased.

Remember, that the original usefull load was small. With a larger engine
and occupants weighing 175# to 200#, instead of 125# to 130#, the stresses
will be greater...

Peter

P.S.: I still think it is a really neat little plane, and even have a set
of plans. But by the time I could make it fit me, I would probably have to
call it somethng else--like the "Pete's Special".

Old November 15th 03, 12:47 AM
Dan Thomas

Seems to me the KR-2 has no mass balancing on control surfaces. At the
speeds it's capable of, mass balancing should be part of the design,
or flutter becomes a possibility.
Ken Rand died in the crash of the original KR-2. Does anyone know
what caused that?

Dan
Old November 15th 03, 01:35 AM
Bill Higdon

Dan Thomas wrote:
Seems to me the KR-2 has no mass balancing on control surfaces. At the
speeds it's capable of, mass balancing should be part of the design,
or flutter becomes a possibility.
Ken Rand died in the crash of the original KR-2. Does anyone know
what caused that?

Dan

Seems to me he ran out of fuel on top of the clouds. The plans say to
Balance the Ailerons.
Bill Higdon

Old November 15th 03, 11:31 PM
sidk

Do a search on "kr2" in rec.aviation.homebuilt and you will get more
hits than you will probably have time to read.

Sid Knox
Velocity N199RS
Starduster N666SK
KR2 N24TC
W7QJQ

I'm a student pilot who is always looking to the next project. I am
finishing the resotoration of a 1967 Ford Mustang this winter, so next
spring, I will need a new project (money pit). The Rand Robinson KR-2 has
caught my eye - inexpensive, moderately simple design (as compared to other
kits, like the RV-6), good speed.

Are there any opinions/experiences about this kit?

Thanks

Opinions on ICAS membership? Wright1902Glider Aerobatics 0 January 3rd 04 03:31 PM
Opinions? Chris Aerobatics 2 November 2nd 03 09:42 PM
Opinions on Azusa aluminum wheels/brakes/axles? RTW Home Built 2 July 17th 03 04:19 PM