Ohio midair crash kills 3

Old May 17th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Ohio midair crash kills 3

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
It is not difficult to set this up if you have a linux system. It is
an ordinary scanner, and the audio is fed into the soundcard and
captured using the 'sox' software.

There are also several free or very cheap Windows apps that do the same
thing. For years, I recorded scanner audio of the local PD / FD.
Old May 17th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 17 May 2007 12:02:34 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote in :

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
It is not difficult to set this up if you have a linux system. It is
an ordinary scanner, and the audio is fed into the soundcard and
captured using the 'sox' software.

There are also several free or very cheap Windows apps that do the same
thing. For years, I recorded scanner audio of the local PD / FD.

Will the software you mention not only create the audio files, but FTP
them to a server also?
Old May 17th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

wrote in :

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
It is not difficult to set this up if you have a linux system. It is
an ordinary scanner, and the audio is fed into the soundcard and
captured using the 'sox' software.

There are also several free or very cheap Windows apps that do the same
thing. For years, I recorded scanner audio of the local PD / FD.

Will the software you mention not only create the audio files, but FTP
them to a server also?

The software resides on my server, so uploading is not an issue for
me.
If you doing it on windows, it may need extra setup. I will write up
something about the setup and post it to my website in the next few
days.

Old May 18th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

Will the software you mention not only create the audio files, but FTP
them to a server also?

Probably not, you'd need to script that, or actually save them to the
server.
Old May 18th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On May 18, 6:58 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:

Will the software you mention not only create the audio files, but FTP
them to a server also?

Probably not, you'd need to script that, or actually save them to the
server.

In my case, I create the mp3 files directly in the public_html
directory on the server, so there is no ftp or scripting involved.
Linux makes this all very easy. I don't know how one would do this on
Windows.

Old May 18th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

In my case, I create the mp3 files directly in the public_html
directory on the server, so there is no ftp or scripting involved.
Linux makes this all very easy. I don't know how one would do this on
Windows.

Set the application to save the mp3 file to the public directory? G

I don't think that's all that difficult to do in any operating system.
Old May 18th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On May 18, 12:16 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

In my case, I create the mp3 files directly in the public_html
directory on the server, so there is no ftp or scripting involved.
Linux makes this all very easy. I don't know how one would do this on
Windows.

Set the application to save the mp3 file to the public directory? G

I don't think that's all that difficult to do in any operating system.

Can you schedule tasks on Windows like crontab, and set priorities
with nice? May be it is possible, but my linux machine runs unattended
for years without any trouble. My windows machine needs to be rebooted
every few days because it gets slower and slower the longer it stays
on, and something always crashes requiring a reboot.

Old May 18th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Can you schedule tasks on Windows like crontab, and set priorities
with nice?

Sorry!

The only reason I mentioned that you don't NEED Linux to record scanner
audio was simply to point out that it's _possible_ to do so with
Windows, for others who might want to try it.

I have lots of professional experience with lots of operating systems,
including SCO, SunOS, and System V Unix, along with Linux, and really
don't wish to play OS ****ing contests.

Thanks!
Old May 19th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
CinciGreg

On May 16, 5:28 pm, john smith wrote:
Listening to the preceeding/succeeding recordings, all other traffic at
Blue Ash was using R24.

I heard the following...

8:50... unintelligible for Blue Ash

10:15... Blue Ash traffic Bonanza 1835L is five miles north of the field
will be entering left downwind runway six full stop.

10:22...Blue Ash traffic Cessna 6614D has just departed runway six now
departing on a heading 360, climbing through two thousand one hundred
will be looking for the Bonanza on ?.

10:41... Blue Ash traffic Bonanza 35L four miles from the field at 3000
feet will be entering left downwind for runway six.

10:55... a mic is keyed and an unintelligeble, excited voice and audio
squeal can be heard. The transmission last one second.

11:14... Cherokee 3874W calls midfield for right downwind 24.

That file is only 10:13 duration, I've searched the ones before and
after... I downloaded it again to be sure, and still get a file that
ends before either of these planes make a call. The one after it,
nothing but mention of the aftermath. I've tried a bunch of them
now... where'd I take the wrong turn?

Old May 19th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On May 19, 2:10 pm, CinciGreg wrote:
[...]

now... where'd I take the wrong turn?- Hide quoted text -

The file for 1400-1500 is 12mins 3 secs
The file for 1500-1600 is 10mins 13secs

So you might be looking at the wrong file.