Bounced Landing

Old September 30th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default Bounced Landing

Phil wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:53 am, (Scott) wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 05:18:49 -0700, in rec.aviation.piloting, buttman

wrote:
On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, Phil wrote:
Is this for real, or has this video been manipulated??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkUt9CzRpg
I've seen that before. Its from a commercial. You can hear the
announcer at the end start to say something. I'm pretty sure it's been
doctored at least somewhat.

I remember seeing somewhere that it was a (large) RC model airplane. IMO
that would seem to account for the apparent physics of the bounces.

-Scott

That seems like the best explanation. I noticed it says T & W Air on
the fuselage. I can't find any trace of that as a Chinese airline on
the web. But if it's an RC plane, the video must have been doctored
to add the smoke from the tires. I don't think you would get that
much smoke from an RC size plane.

Yes, a large model would be believable.

Matt
Old September 30th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:36:47 -0700, Phil wrote in
. com:

wrote:
On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, Phil wrote:
Is this for real, or has this video been manipulated??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkUt9CzRpg

I've seen that before. Its from a commercial. You can hear the
announcer at the end start to say something. I'm pretty sure it's been
doctored at least somewhat.

I remember seeing somewhere that it was a (large) RC model airplane. IMO
that would seem to account for the apparent physics of the bounces.

-Scott

That seems like the best explanation. I noticed it says T & W Air on
the fuselage. I can't find any trace of that as a Chinese airline on
the web. But if it's an RC plane, the video must have been doctored
to add the smoke from the tires. I don't think you would get that
much smoke from an RC size plane.

Agreed.

It looks totally photoshopped to me (or CGI).

I doubt that an RC plane--or any full scale!--could plant the mains
like that and get that much of a bounce out of the nose wheel.

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old September 30th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

wrote:
On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, Phil wrote:
[...]

If the pilot was on the brakes hard and the airspeed was low enough so the
horizontal tail didn't dampen some of the motion, I think it would be
possible to generate one of these pogo like cycles.

Then the nose gear would fail...

KB

Old September 30th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
wolfgang k.

i guess it's that one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQF72UtxhOA

regards
wolfgang, vie, loww

Old September 30th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in
:

wrote:
On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, Phil wrote:
[...]

Wel,it would almost certainly have sustained some damage. but it's
pretty hard to get it to fail.

Though this guy did..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfW5...elated&search=

Bertie

Old October 1st 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Sep 30, 12:00 pm, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote:

It looks totally photoshopped to me (or CGI).

I doubt that an RC plane--or any full scale!--could plant the mains
like that and get that much of a bounce out of the nose wheel.

We've seen this one before in this forum. I think the consensus was an
R/C jet that had some CGI enhancements for the commercial. A real jet
wouldn't oscillate that fast and make those booms every time the nose
gear touched down. Plus, there are no brakes on the nose gear, so
where does the tire smoke come from after the intial touchdown?

Old October 1st 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Kingfish wrote in news:1191202200.446411.200800
@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

wrote:

It looks totally photoshopped to me (or CGI).

I doubt that an RC plane--or any full scale!--could plant the mains
like that and get that much of a bounce out of the nose wheel.

We've seen this one before in this forum. I think the consensus was an
R/C jet that had some CGI enhancements for the commercial. A real jet
wouldn't oscillate that fast and make those booms every time the nose
gear touched down.

Actually, it probably would.

Plus, there are no brakes on the nose gear, so
where does the tire smoke come from after the intial touchdown?

It's plausible that they'd smoke like that with that kind of impact. Large
tires like that take a moment or two to spin up and they get scuffed just
from normal touchdowns.

Some jets do have nosewheel, brakes, BTW, though. don't think the 320 does,
though.

Bertie
Old October 1st 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, Phil wrote:
Is this for real, or has this video been manipulated??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkUt9CzRpg

This was from a beer commercial. Norway I believe.

Old October 1st 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

wrote:

[...]

If you look at the full clip at the :16 mark the nosewheel locks up
and smokes. Impossible, seeing as the A320 doesn't have nose wheel
brakes like you'd agreed. I'm curious to know what large jets do have
nose wheel brakes? The speed of the plane's bouncing just doesn't look
right.

Bounced landing recovery? [email protected] Piloting 33 June 13th 12 02:29 PM
Landing Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 August 3rd 07 05:01 AM
Mig-15 landing Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 April 12th 07 01:50 PM
A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Lufthansi Piloting 18 July 19th 06 05:13 AM
A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Hansi Instrument Flight Rules 1 July 17th 06 04:01 AM