Manufacturing Quality

Old August 5th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

Default Manufacturing Quality

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message ...
: On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:27:12 GMT, john smith wrote in
: :
:
: With the news that Piper will produce the Hondajet,
:
: Where did you get the idea that Piper will be doing production work
: for Honda?
:
: From Honda's statement below, it appears Piper will be doing only
: sales and service, and perhaps some engineering.
:

That was exactly my understanding, and that Piper and Honda may do some other ventures also. But Honda will build the
jet in the new plant location tbd...

Old August 5th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jon Kraus wrote:
Heck, I see that Honda is now making a
better full-size pickup truck than Ford's F-150.

Please. I like Honda cars but that thing they build is not a full size
truck.

Old August 5th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

The Japanese have not figured out why we Americans want full size
trucks. They keep nibbling around the edges. We want big and powerful.
If Honda builds a truck that looks like my F250 crew cab and gives me
a motor with 600 pounds of torque I'll look at it. Until then they're
just toys for the girlie man.

Old August 6th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Newps wrote:

The Japanese have not figured out why we Americans want full size
trucks. They keep nibbling around the edges. We want big and powerful.
If Honda builds a truck that looks like my F250 crew cab and gives me
a motor with 600 pounds of torque I'll look at it. Until then they're
just toys for the girlie man.

Exactly. I recently witnessed a Toyota Tundra trying to pull a 2-horse
trailer. Not sure if there were any horses in it (I assume there
were... but remember that we're talking about a small trailer), and the
rear bumper was nearly dragging on the ground, with the front end up in
the air. Would be a piece of cake for even an F-150 properly equipped.

The Japanese trucks are appealing (though I think Ford has figured out
how to build a quality truck), they are nothing by very light duty
trucks--even the big ones.

JKG
Old August 6th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
That's a rare case. What was the failure? I know of plenty of people who put
many, many miles on 80's vintage Accords with excellent reliability.

My current Accord has 217k miles and has had zero powertrain issues. No
engine work other than replacing the timing belt every 105k miles. No CV
work. No tranny work, and it even has the original clutch.

My wife had a 1994 Accord (purchased new), always properly maintained,
but the thing was a pain in the neck to work on. It was affected by an
oil seal recall; I forget where the seal was, but when (not if) it blew,
all of the oil got pumped out of the engine. It happened to my wife
shortly after she received the recall notice. Thankfully, she was close
to home. Honda did pick up the tab for tearing the car apart to replace
the seal (not for the towing), but at around 115k she starting having
transmission and/or torque converter issues (auto transmission). It was
also rusting in quite a few places, including FROM THE INSIDE OUT. Due
to the compounding small problems and the fact that it was useless in
the snow (even with top-shelf tires), we ditched it and bought a Subaru.

We've had good luck with the Subaru, except for some small annoyances
which the Honda may or may not have had, such as inaccurate speedometer
(errors high), etc. I know others folks who just love their Hondas, but
who have had some fairly major failures while their cars were still
young.

Driving the Honda Accord was decent but rather uninspiring--a boring
car. I didn't see anything spectacular about Honda compared with other
Japanese brands, but it's clear that Honda has greater brand loyalty.

On another note, I have a Honda engine on my $700 lawnmower, and it's
already having problems after only 1.5 years since new. It runs great,
but if small things keep breaking it's going to nickel and dime me to
death.

JKG
Old August 6th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
In article ,
Newps wrote:

The Japanese have not figured out why we Americans want full size
trucks. They keep nibbling around the edges. We want big and powerful.
If Honda builds a truck that looks like my F250 crew cab and gives me
a motor with 600 pounds of torque I'll look at it. Until then they're
just toys for the girlie man.

Exactly. I recently witnessed a Toyota Tundra trying to pull a 2-horse
trailer. Not sure if there were any horses in it (I assume there
were... but remember that we're talking about a small trailer), and the
rear bumper was nearly dragging on the ground, with the front end up in
the air. Would be a piece of cake for even an F-150 properly equipped.

Even the standard F-150 is now pretty wimpy. When I called to inquire
about a snowplow for my K1500 a few years ago, the first question they
asked me when I asked for a price was if I had an F-150. The reason is
that the standard 150 doesn't have adequate front springs to handle a
snow plow. I don't know if I have these numbers exactly right, but
Western requires a truck to have something like 3800 lb front springs,
which Chevy and Dodge have standard, but Ford uses something like 3100
lb as standard and they have to be beefed up for plow duty and this
added a fair chunk of change to the price of the plow installation.

Matt
Old August 6th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

(though I think Ford has figured out
how to build a quality truck)

Think? The F150 has been the best selling truck in this country for the
last 30 years running.
Old August 6th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Newps wrote:

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

(though I think Ford has figured out how to build a quality truck)

Think? The F150 has been the best selling truck in this country for the
last 30 years running.

And Microsoft is the best selling OS. What has that to do with quality?

Matt
Old August 6th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

That's because Ford doesn't force everybody to buy a truck that rides
worse because one twentieth of one percent of the trucks will have a
snowplow hung on the front. If you want the snowplow package you order it.

Matt Whiting wrote: