A&P Revocations!

Old October 16th 04, 01:06 PM
Barnyard BOb -

I try very hard not to
project the "know it all" attitude which is sometimes a fine line to
walk because I do know a *few* things about airplanes and I need to be
able to get that across too. And the same can be said for a lot of
industries but in aviation it is more like a religious principle.

Del Rawlins--

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Aviation hardly stands alone as a religious parallel.
POLITICS, as a religion, beats aviation hands down.

Look no further than right here in r.a.h. to
observe the god fearing? "know it alls"in action....
especially, the pontifications of the Radical Right.

Barnyard BOb --
The more people I meet,
the more I love my dog
and George Carlin humor.
Old October 16th 04, 04:22 PM
Leon McAtee

"W P Dixon" wrote in message ...
Alot of those guys and girls had been working on planes for 15 or 20 years
and took their A&P at the Sanford location because he was cheaper than
anyone else. If you think you know more than a mech that has worked on the
line for 15 or 20 years who doesn't yet have his A&P just because you went
to school....you have alot to learn.
At one time I even thought about trying to make it to that guys place
and taking it...because it was cheap. I have 20 plus years experience on
numerous types of aircraft ( fixed and rotor) and I have never needed an A&P
license to work. But always having a family to support it is difficult to
take off for a week of work and spend 1000 bucks doing it as well. So money
is a key factor to most people in the real world.

I'm in kind of the situation described. I've been at this off and on
for 20 or so years but always earned my living doing something else.
Time has now come where I think I need the piece of paper that says I
am an A+P so I don't have to keep getting friendly I/A's to sign off
my work. I'll be getting a couple of weeks off this winter and had
planned to go to one of these quick A+P schools. Now this pops up so
my question:

Can/would anyone make a few suggestions about which one of the "one
week wonder schools" actually does a proper job of testing? Any
places like the one described to avoid?

If I'm not up to the task I need to know that, so I don't want a
rubber stamp operation, and I also don't want to have to go through
the whole thing again a few years down the line. After all finding
the time is the hard part to begin with.......
===========================
Leon McAtee
Checking all the web sites from TAP for A+P testing
Old October 17th 04, 05:39 AM
Capt.Doug

"Del Rawlins" wrote in message as a recent licensee
it is kind of frustrating to have people just assume that because you
haven't had your certificate long that you are automatically a
dumbass.

It goes both ways, and not just with new A&Ps. I get indignant when an A&P,
new or old, casually dismisses my findings because I'm in a pilot uniform.

D.

Old October 18th 04, 04:17 PM
Frank Hitlaw

(Del Rawlins) wrote in message ...
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:28:41 GMT, "Capt.Doug"
wrote:

It isn't just Miami- I had a newly licensed A&P wipe his thumb in an unknown
liquid on the asphalt ramp under an MD-80 and tell me it wasn't Skydrol
because it didn't burn his skin. I insisted it was. He insisted I didn't
know s**T because I wasn't an A&P. I grounded the airplane anyway. Then his
boss told him to replace a punctured hydraulic line in the horizontal stab.

D. (A&P)

That's an interesting topic to bring up because it seems like
everybody in aviation has a story about a new, know-it-all A&P who
turned out to not know ****. And while I have no doubt that the
reputation has been justly earned over the years, as a recent licensee
it is kind of frustrating to have people just assume that because you
haven't had your certificate long that you are automatically a
dumbass. It isn't a huge problem for me because I have about 10 years
on most of the guys finishing school but it is an attitude that is
definitely out there. Being aware of this, I try very hard not to
project the "know it all" attitude which is sometimes a fine line to
walk because I do know a *few* things about airplanes and I need to be
able to get that across too. And the same can be said for a lot of
industries but in aviation it is more like a religious principle.

Del Rawlins--

Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply

Del;

Two things first, treat the pilots as your customers and act like a
professional.You probably wouldn't call a paying customer that comes
into your shop a moron (even if he is). You will be surprised how it
works, generally you will be treated the same. Occaisionally you will
run into a crewmember that is a complete butthole but I found that to
be rare.I think for every stupid pilot trick I have seen an equally
stupid mechanic trick.Second,a long resume is not an antidote for
stupidity or plain incompetence.I have worked with some really good
guys from airlines such as Eastern or PAA. On the other hand there
were some that I had working for me that I couldn't get rid of fast
enough.

Frank M Hitlaw
Jakarta