High Altitude operations (Turbo charge???)

Old July 9th 03, 05:40 PM
RobertR237

In article , Barnyard BOb --
writes:

No, but I am willing...are there any jobs for greabearded IT people there?

Bob Reed

Dunno, but....
What about becoming a Flying Saucer tour guide?
I hear the benefits are 'out of this world'.

Barnyard BOb -- groan

Sounds like some damn good benefits to me, where do I space-mail my resume?

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old July 9th 03, 05:58 PM
Richard Isakson

"RobertR237" wrote ...
Barnyard BOb writes:
Dunno, but....
What about becoming a Flying Saucer tour guide?
I hear the benefits are 'out of this world'.

Sounds like some damn good benefits to me, where do I space-mail my

resume?

You have to carve it into a wheat field.

Rich

Old July 10th 03, 10:48 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
RobertR237 wrote:
In article , clare @ snyder.on .ca
writes:

You want to try 115F and 105% humidity. Threat of rain for about 3
weeks before it finally comes, then 114 inches in 12 weeks. Rain comes
down in bucketfuls for about 15 minutes, then the sun comes out and
the puddles boil away in less than an hour. Mushrooms between your
toes and in your armpits!!
That was Livingstone Zambia October - November 1973/74!!!

Next 9 months you could guarantee rainless days and nights.

The 115 with 100% is close but how the hell do you get 105% humidity?

"super-saturated solution". Really.

Old July 10th 03, 03:17 PM
Bushy

The 115 with 100% is close but how the hell do you get 105% humidity?

"super-saturated solution". Really.

In other words, it's raining. There is more moisture than the 100% that the
air can support and so it falls.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old July 11th 03, 12:20 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Bushy wrote:
The 115 with 100% is close but how the hell do you get 105% humidity?

"super-saturated solution". Really.

In other words, it's raining.

*WRONG*. If it _is_ raining, the humidity is somewhat -less- than 100%

There is more moisture than the 100% that the
air can support and so it falls.

Hope this helps,

A super-saturated solution is one of those strange "special cases", where
'common sense' is *not* accurate.

A simple description is that it _is_ holding more than it theoretically _can_,
contradictory as that sounds.

It comes about when you have a near-saturation condition, and the temperature
drops significantly.

*USUALLY*, when the concentration hits 100%, the 'excess' will start to pre-
cipitate out as the temperature continues to fall.

In rare instances, however, the precipitation does _not_ start as you reach,
*and*cross*, the 100% level.

This is, obviously, a "highly unstable", situation. Any sort of 'disturbance',
and the _entire_ "excess' will 'fall out', essentially 'in an instant'.

There's a fairly standard college physics experiment, where you make a pan-ful
of a near-saturated solution, using _warm_ water, and place it in a freezer.
You then run the temperaturd down, _below_ the freezing point of a saturated
(cold water) solution. The super-saturated solution does *not* freeze solid.
Then you reach in, and touch the pan. "Clunk" -- a whole sh*tload of stuff
precipitates out of solution, and the entire pan freezes solid. *INSTANTLY*.
_AND_ the pan gets too hot to touch.

The assignment is to list all the energy reactions involved. Essentially
explain "exactly what happened, in what sequence, and _why_".