Time to earn license for professionals

Old September 19th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Time to earn license for professionals (Apologies, Mea Culpa, and adios)

God bless you and the best of luck.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

Those meds, BTW, are a second run at fixing the tumor that I had removed a
bit over a year ago. Evidently, the docs didn't get everything, so they
have to go in again. If that doesn't get it, I'm really in deep doodoo.

Old September 19th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Matt Barrow" wrote

Again, my apologies to Dud' and Jim [even the poophead he can be :~), ]
and we'll see you when recovery is complete.

Apologies accepted.

My best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 19th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Time to earn license for professionals

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:35:10 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

The Luscombe 8A (I don't believe the 8 ) had a letter of limited
aerobatic capability from the CAA dated 1947 included in the aircraft's
operating manual. This letter listed specific aerobatic maneuvers
approved for the 8A after joint tests between Luscombe and the CAA were
performed.

Do you recall if snap rolls were among those maneuvers listed in that
letter?

Old September 19th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:35:10 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

The Luscombe 8A (I don't believe the 8 ) had a letter of limited
aerobatic capability from the CAA dated 1947 included in the

aircraft's
operating manual. This letter listed specific aerobatic maneuvers
approved for the 8A after joint tests between Luscombe and the CAA

were
performed.

Do you recall if snap rolls were among those maneuvers listed in that
letter?

They were. I still have it.

It's irrelevant in any case. Then an airplane was an airplane. Part of
what an airplane did was go upside down. They thought better of that
policy eventually and an aerobatic category was established, but
airplanes certified before whatever date that was, (about 1950, maybe a
bit earlier) were, for better or worse, exempt from any such
restriction.
Luscombes are tough, but not as tough as legend would have one believe.
A couple have been lost over the years, but fewer than many of it's
certified aerobatic brethren. It's not a particularly good aerobatic
airplane. The roll rate is very slow, almost glider like. Barrel rolls
are fine and it loops OK but snaps are not great especially at the
relatively low entry speed of 70 mph that's recommended.
Add in the multiple structural ADs the airplane has and it's not what
you could call a first class aerobatic mount. I'd still loop, barrel
roll and wingover a good one, but that's all.
A new one would be another story..

The Taylorcraft was well able for aerobatics in stock form. Same sort fo
stuff It does aileron rolls quite a lot better than the Luscombe (though
it;s been many years since I've flown one, wheras I've had a Luscombe
upside down recently)

Modded for aerbatics with clipped wings and only a few more ponies, it's
one of the best aerobatic airplanes ever made.

Bertie
Old September 20th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:35:10 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

The Luscombe 8A (I don't believe the 8 ) had a letter of limited
aerobatic capability from the CAA dated 1947 included in the aircraft's
operating manual. This letter listed specific aerobatic maneuvers
approved for the 8A after joint tests between Luscombe and the CAA were
performed.

Yep. Here it is:

http://www.popularaviation.com/docs/...Aerobatics.pdf

Article about Luscombe aerobatic "certification":
http://www.popularaviation.com/Lusco...leDtl.asp?id=7
Is the Luscombe Aerobatic?
Disclaimer: PopularAviation.com makes no claim or warranty as to
accuracy of these articles. You and your mechanic are responsible
for your aircraft.

By: Bill Dickey

Updated February 17, 2004

Question: My Instructor is a great aerobatic pilot and says the
Luscombe is a full acrobatic airplane. How aerobatic is the
Luscombe really?.

Answer: The Luscombe is an FAA standard category aircraft. It is
not certified nor built for aerobatics. During World War II a list
of entry speeds for various aerobatic maneuvers was published in
1947 for the Luscombe Airplane Corporation. Its purpose was to aid
sale of Luscombes to schools teaching flying to WW II veterans
learning to fly under Public Law 346. This was the much praised GI
Bill of Rights that paid educational expenses for returning
veterans. The letter from the CAA included both 8A and 8E
airplanes but did not include fabric wing airplanes. The speeds
were the result of an evaluation by a US CAA test pilot who deemed
that the aircraft could safely perform correctly executed mild
aerobatics. This document spawned the myth that the Luscombe 8
series are aerobatic airplanes. (See a PDF version of that
document by clicking here.)

Like a number of people, I misunderstood that the Luscombe was
aerobatic and, twenty five years ago, performed a number of loops,
Immelmans, wingovers, hammerheads and various rolls including snap
rolls. When the airplane was disassembled for restoration three
years ago we discovered that the number 8 fuselage bulkhead
(vertical fin rear spar attach point) was deformed and torn. The
damage may have been due to overstress during the snap rolls.

Can correctly performed 1G aerobatics be safely performed in a
Standard Category airplane? Of course, if you don't make a mistake
that could result in overstress. Is it a good idea to perform
aerobatics in a 50 year old airplane that wasn't designed for
them? Perhaps not.

The Luscombe was marketed as a strong airplane, thus the many
factory photos of two dozen pretty girls perched on the wing.
These images were specifically created to counter the concerns at
the time that a metal airplane was not as strong as airplanes that
had welded steel tube fuselages and laminated wood wing spars.
True, Luscombes are pretty tough, but there are several
Airworthiness Directives on the airframe that were the result of
structural failures or persistent corrosion damage.

As far as aerobatic performance and handling are concerned, the
Luscombe is OK for a low powered airplane. Smooth manuevers are
the result of good technique and careful energy management. Those
heavy ailerons make rolls a bit of work, but it sure does snap
well due to that powerful rudder. Ditto for hammerheads. The
airplane spins well and recoveries are very conventional. Spins,
by the way, are legal in standard category aiplanes (unless
prohibited by placard) for training purposes.

My source of historical data on this topic was a series of
conversations with Mr. Doug Combs, the founder of DLAHF. His
knowledge of the Luscombe type is well known. He also has some
personal experience with in flight structural failures in
Luscombes.

If you decide to perform areobatics in your Luscombe, good
luck--you may need it.

Bill Dickey
Kirkland, WA

Type certificate:
http://www.popularaviation.com/docs/LuscombeTC.pdf

Pilot Operation Handbooks, Service Bulletions and other manuals:
http://www.popularaviation.com/Lusco...mbeManuals.asp

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/8d006abbddeb78428525673c004dd3f3/$FILE/a-694.pdf
Old September 20th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:
Sorry, Dudley, I got my CFI (airplane) 37 years ago and my CFI (glider)
30 years ago. I have roughly 500 primary students under my belt, so
no, I know for a fact that the classroom on the ground and the
classroom in the air are two totally different things. My point was
that I've learned to adapt to many different learning capabilities in
both environments.

Jim

I can see there is absolutely nothing you can learn from me so I'll be
moving along :-))
Or anybody else, apparently.

Too quick on the SEND button!

My apologies to all (especially Dude) for my too quick read of Dudley's
remarks!

My wife heard me grumbling in the den and told me to "knock it off".

As a partial explanation, my meds are making me grumpy, crabby, lightheaded
(more so than normal according to many) and my attention span is greatly
reduced.

Those meds, BTW, are a second run at fixing the tumor that I had removed a
bit over a year ago. Evidently, the docs didn't get everything, so they have
to go in again. If that doesn't get it, I'm really in deep doodoo.

So, I either have to knock of the groups where attention span is critical,
or knock off the meds. Unfortunately, that latter isn't an option.

Again, my apologies to Dud' and Jim [even the poophead he can be :~), ] and
we'll see you when recovery is complete.

Thanks for some very interesting conversation and information.

Hi Matt;
I'm really sorry you are having so many health problems. I sincerely
hope things improve for you soon.
My wife and I are as well deeply into health issues so I know full well
how it can get sometimes.
Don't sweat the small stuff and by all means keep posting here with your
friends.
Dudley

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 20th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:35:10 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

The Luscombe 8A (I don't believe the 8 ) had a letter of limited
aerobatic capability from the CAA dated 1947 included in the
aircraft's operating manual. This letter listed specific aerobatic
maneuvers approved for the 8A after joint tests between Luscombe and
the CAA were performed.

Yep. Here it is:

Yes, i've seen it. It's all correct except that there was no "standard"
category back in 1947.

What's your point?

Bertie

Old September 20th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Bertie the Bunyip" wrote)
Ever heard the one about the three blind men examining an elephant?

Don't you think alluding to Three Blind Mice, however indirectly or
unintentionally, was just a little bit cruel and insensitive to all
elephants, everywhere?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Men_and_an_Elephant
It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind

(More from Wiki...)
Three blind elephants argue what a man looks like. The first one feels the
man with his leg, and says that the man is flat. The other elephants touch
the man as well, and agree.

Montblack

I know what you're going to say - why then is it ok to have "three blind
elephants"? g

Old September 20th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Montblack" wrote in
:

That's just the kind of ******* I am.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Men_and_an_Elephant
It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind

(More from Wiki...)
Three blind elephants argue what a man looks like. The first one feels
the man with his leg, and says that the man is flat. The other
elephants touch the man as well, and agree.

Bawhahwhahhahhwhahwhahw!

Very good.

Montblack

I know what you're going to say - why then is it ok to have "three
blind elephants"? g

I wasn't. I'm actually OK with that concept.

Bertie

Old September 20th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Matt Barrow" wrote)
When someone points it out, he runs home to mommy.

I do believe 'Morgans' can give you the actual time & date that he last
"ran" anywhere.

Montblack