A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Lowest power tow

Old January 19th 20, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

What's the lowest power tow plane you've ever seen or towed by? An Examiner of mine said his was a C150 with 100hp. I also once saw paperwork for an 85hp Luscombe to tow.
Old January 19th 20, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

Garland Pack’s J-3’s. 85 hp?

180 hp beater Super Cub in Aspen CO on a hot day towing a loaded 2-32 or Janus with the spoilers out?
Old January 19th 20, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

I saw someone go behind a 65 hp J-3 once. They said they would never do it again!
Old January 19th 20, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 11:30:51 PM UTC-6, wrote:
What's the lowest power tow plane you've ever seen or towed by? An Examiner of mine said his was a C150 with 100hp. I also once saw paperwork for an 85hp Luscombe to tow.

I wonder how much Aerotowing in the U.S. was influenced by post war economies, the U.S. had almost all the money, airplanes and resources following WWII. additionally, you could probably aerotow any early (read light, low wing loaded and slow) glider with a J3.
History is so funny, unless it's happening to you.
Scott
Old January 19th 20, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

I wonder how much Aerotowing in the U.S. was influenced by post war economies, the U.S. had almost all the money, airplanes and resources following WWII. additionally, you could probably aerotow any early (read light, low wing loaded and slow) glider with a J3.
History is so funny, unless it's happening to you.
Scott

Pretty much right on the money, Scott. The opposite situation existed in post-war Europe, which resulted in winch-launching becoming the main way to get gliders airborne over there.

Uli
'AS'
Old January 19th 20, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

On Saturday, 18 January 2020 22:30:51 UTC-7, wrote:

Dragonfly Ultralight used to tow hang gliders, equipped with Rotax 914S. Towed my DG303 at Big SPring TX during the 2008 HG worlds so we could assist the organizers with spotting 'cloud flyers' amongst the competitors.

Many gliders have been towed out of Sheets airport, north of Seminole, when they landed short getting back to Seminole.
Old January 20th 20, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 9:20:04 AM UTC-5, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Saturday, 18 January 2020 22:30:51 UTC-7, wrote:

Dragonfly Ultralight used to tow hang gliders, equipped with Rotax 914S. Towed my DG303 at Big SPring TX during the 2008 HG worlds so we could assist the organizers with spotting 'cloud flyers' amongst the competitors.

Many gliders have been towed out of Sheets airport, north of Seminole, when they landed short getting back to Seminole.

We have a turbo Dragonfly at our place. Lots of power but a slow airplane. How fast was your tow speed behind the Dragonfly?
UH
Old January 20th 20, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

Is it time to design the sailplane towing version of the Dragonfly for when we run out of Pawnees? Be interesting to see what the soaring brain trust could come up with.
Old January 20th 20, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

"Is it time to design the sailplane towing version of the Dragonfly for when we run out of Pawnees? Be interesting to see what the soaring brain trust could come up with."

If only there was a way to get gliders in the air that didn't require dangerous and expensive rare airplanes... if only there was a "brain trust" elsewhere in the world we could look to for answers. Sigh... well it looks like we're alone with this mystery.
Old January 20th 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Lowest power tow

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 9:34:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
"Is it time to design the sailplane towing version of the Dragonfly for when we run out of Pawnees? Be interesting to see what the soaring brain trust could come up with."

If only there was a way to get gliders in the air that didn't require dangerous and expensive rare airplanes... if only there was a "brain trust" elsewhere in the world we could look to for answers. Sigh... well it looks like we're alone with this mystery.

Giant rubber bands? Better yet a giant rubber band powered towplane.