AVIATIONTOOLBOX: Christmas sectionals are here and rsync-able.

Old December 23rd 03, 03:12 PM
Kyler Laird

Default AVIATIONTOOLBOX: Christmas sectionals are here and rsync-able.

Somehow the FAA forgot to send me the last batch of sectional DVDs
and by the time I finally called about it they didn't have any
remaining. I was told to wait for the next batch. It's here.

This batch doesn't become effective until December 25, 2003, but
because the previous batch has expired, I've changed the "current"
link to point to the new batch.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/...onals/current/

I've gotten rid of the zip files. I didn't like having multiple
versions of the data. I considered making a simple way to compress
the files on the fly for HTTP transport, but I decided to try
providing the files over a dedicated rsync server instead.

So...if you're in a directory that has the last batch of sectionals
and you want to update it, try something like this.
rsync -Prvz --size-only rsync://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/current/ .
The "z" specifies compression and I found that it does a fairly
good job with the TIFF files. If you trust me to get things right
and you want to get rid of files that don't exist in the new batch
you might want to use "--delete" also.

Note that I have not yet created "chunks" using these new sectionals.
I am still mulling over the most efficient way to do this. There are
not a lot of new images, so I think I can make updates *much* quicker
if I just re-crop and warp the new ones.

I've also created a simple command line tool to generate an image of
any region by stitching together the chunks. I want to make it
available through HTTP and XML-RPC so I've switched to working on
the Zope infrastructure for awhile. More on that soon.

Enjoy.

--kyler
Old December 25th 03, 01:12 AM
Kyler Laird

Note that I have not yet created "chunks" using these new sectionals.
I am still mulling over the most efficient way to do this. There are
not a lot of new images, so I think I can make updates *much* quicker
if I just re-crop and warp the new ones.

I ended up masking and warping all of the images again.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/masked/
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/warped/
This time I kept the version numbers intact.

In order to better handle incremental updates, I'm running the
"chunking" process after all of the warped images have been created.
It is running now. (Watch it grow! It's almost as much fun as a
Chia-Pet.)
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/mosaic?dir=new
Tomorrow I'll move "chunked-new" to "chunked".
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/chunked/

....and then I'll make the "rechunking" code available.

--kyler
Old December 25th 03, 02:03 AM
John Clonts

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
[snip]

I've also created a simple command line tool to generate an image of
any region by stitching together the chunks. I want to make it
available through HTTP and XML-RPC so I've switched to working on

Kyler,

This will be a GREAT feature from my point of view. I fly mostly the "edges
and corners" of three different sectionals. Thanks!!

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old December 25th 03, 10:12 PM
Kyler Laird

"John Clonts" writes:

I've also created a simple command line tool to generate an image of
any region by stitching together the chunks. I want to make it
available through HTTP and XML-RPC so I've switched to working on

This will be a GREAT feature from my point of view. I fly mostly the "edges
and corners" of three different sectionals. Thanks!!

I know what you mean. A common flight for me is to Indy International,
just southeast of here (Lafayette), but on the St. Louis sectional.

Merry Christmas.
https://aviationtoolbox.org/Members/...2&lr_lat=39.65
This is a "batteries not included" version. I don't have a signed SSL
certificate for this server yet and the return image is an uncompressed
GeoTIFF. It does work though. It'll be the basis for a bunch of other
tools to come soon.

I'm going to have to buy a color laser printer soon.

Enjoy.

--kyler