TSA has a fan

Old October 26th 04, 01:01 PM
Gary Drescher

"Marco Grubert" wrote in message
om...
Nevertheless I think stealing GA aircrafts and using them for either
fly-by shootings or in combination with explosives is a real threat

Why steal an airplane? Isn't it easier just to rent one?

(and even harder to counter than your Oklahoma-bombing truck).

It's true that you can protect a specific target from a truck-bombing by
erecting barricades to prevent traffic from approaching. In that limited
respect, plane-bombings are harder to counter.

However, it's of no use to protect a specific target as long as many other
equally attractive targets remain accessible. Protecting all such targets
would require permanently shutting down traffic in entire cities, which is
impossible. Additionally, you can carry a much greater explosive payload in
a truck (or even a car) than in a typical GA plane. So on the whole, car-
and truck-bombings are the greater threat.

Making
sure that airports are properly fenced in and have a metal
detector/x-ray machine could be a reasonable deterrent.

Since car- or truck-bombings are a greater threat on the whole, should we
also have to fence in all parking lots and garages, and screen everyone
there with metal detectors and x-ray machines?

--Gary

Old October 26th 04, 02:04 PM
Dave Stadt

"Marco Grubert" wrote in message
om...
There was no security lapse in that incident. A student was allowed to
pre-flight an airplane unescorted, shortly before the student was to be
signed off to solo anyway. Preventing such access would have been

completely
pointless. Even under some of the more draconian new restrictions (at

BED
now, we need to undergo a fingerprint background check in order to have
unescorted access to the ramp), that student would still have had the

same
access privileges!

Of course TSA's alien training rule would not have had anything to say
about
that moron, Charles J. Bishop, who was a US citizen...
Speaking of morons, AOPA has some statements on its website about
TSA's chief who seems to be rather clueless about his department; or
maybe he was still recovering from TSA's $500,000 2-year-anniversary
party.

Nevertheless I think stealing GA aircrafts and using them for either
fly-by shootings or in combination with explosives is a real threat
(and even harder to counter than your Oklahoma-bombing truck). Making
sure that airports are properly fenced in and have a metal
detector/x-ray machine could be a reasonable deterrent.

- Marco

Your thought process is terribly flawed. Fences, metal detectors or any
other technology will stop absolutely nothing. Do you honestly think
stealing is the only way to get a plane? Renting or buying are much more
viable options. You cannot stop a determined terrorist. That has been a
fact since forever and is simply something we will live with.

Old October 27th 04, 02:37 AM
G.R. Patterson III

David Brooks wrote:

I've heard the "small plane carrying big bomb" argument before, and heard
that it would be difficult to arrrange for it to detonate at the right
moment. Are there any explosives experts out there can comment?

From what I've read, the problem is to build a detonator that's delicate enough to
trigger the device while still being tough enough to take the impact and being stable
enough to avoid a premature explosion. The U.S. had tremendous problems with this
sort of thing in their torpedo designs early in WW II, and those things only traveled
about 40 knots. As an accidental aviation link, the Navy began replacing certain
parts in the detonators with similar parts machined out of old aircraft propellors.
The metal from the props was tough enough to do the job without deforming.

Of course, if you go back to the old-fashioned stuff like mercury-fulminate
detonators, the shock will set them off.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 27th 04, 03:11 AM
Peter Duniho

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
From what I've read, the problem is to build a detonator that's delicate
enough to
trigger the device while still being tough enough to take the impact and
being stable
enough to avoid a premature explosion.

For the purpose of terrorism, I would think a timer system would work fine.
I'm no explosives expert, but I'm sure there are a variety of electronic or
fuse solutions that would survive an airplane crash well enough to set off
some explosives.

The terrorist would use a short timer, 3 or 5 seconds or so, and then start
it just before impact. Assuming the airplane didn't bounce off the target,
that would be sufficient.

Anyway, I don't guess there's much point in turning this into a "how do you
build an airplane bomb" thread. I just think that a sufficiently motivated
person can probably figure out a way to solve whatever minor technical
problems might come along.

That's assuming you need a bomb and you need it to explode. Fact is, you
could yield about as many fatalities as one gets with your average car bomb
simply by flying a Cessna at high speed into a crowd. Dive for speed,
strike in a near level attitude to cut a swath through the crowd, done.

Airplanes are certainly useful for killing people. The problem with the
attitudes of the general public and the TSA is that they aren't any more
useful than any number of other unregulated methods, and it would be
impossible to prevent most of the methods anyway. If the regulations did
something to make the world safer, that would be one thing; but they don't,
and are thus just stupid.

Pete

Old October 27th 04, 02:42 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:11:31 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote in
::

The problem with the
attitudes of the general public and the TSA is that they [aircraft used as bombs]
aren't any more
useful than any number of other unregulated methods, and it would be
impossible to prevent most of the methods anyway.

The difference between an aircraft used as a delivery method and an
automobile is the aircraft's ability to easily circumvent the traffic
barricades that have been erected since the Oklahoma bombing.

Old October 27th 04, 03:47 PM
Jose

The difference between an aircraft used as a delivery method and an
automobile is the aircraft's ability to easily circumvent the traffic
barricades that have been erected since the Oklahoma bombing.

.... but its payload carrying capacity is quite limited. Little good to circumbent the traffic barricades to deliver a firecracker.

OTOH, a truck and a catapult could do the trick just as well. Why not be proactive and ban catapults. (and dogapults too while we're at it.

Jose
--
for Email, make the obvious change in the address
Old October 27th 04, 07:00 PM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
The difference between an aircraft used as a delivery method and an
automobile is the aircraft's ability to easily circumvent the traffic
barricades that have been erected since the Oklahoma bombing.

That may be a perceived difference, but logically it makes no sense
whatsoever. As someone else already pointed out, only a tiny fraction of
all possible targets can be hardened against ground-based delivery, and of
course there's also the problem that delivering an ineffective weapon to a
target is no better than not delivering an effective weapon.

For a terrorist's purpose, what I said is still true: aircraft aren't any
more useful than any number of other unregulated methods available.

Pete