Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Old March 11th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article
,
BobR wrote:

On Mar 9, 3:36 pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
This got me thinking, a rudderless Ercoupe in a multi-directional wind
landing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2NJFrvYls

Do you (I) really want a home that close to a GA landing strip? Yet I see
megabuck homes in my neck of the woods

Do I want a home that close to a GA Landing Strip? DAMN Right I Do!
I would take one in a heartbeat and love it.

I DO live on a residential airpark (We have about 600 planes) and it is
GREAT! The most noise comes from the yard maintenance people.

Today we had our annual Wings and Wheels event, with many formation
flybys, including 2 P-51 Mustangs, 3 SX-300s and many others.

See:
eaa288.org
http://www.sprucecreekowners.com/
http://www.scpoa.com/
http://fly-in.com/

It is the largest (and, IMHO the best) residential airpark in the world.
We also have more based aircraft than any other airport in Florida.

I moved here 9 years ago and am having a BLAST!

Nice!!!

Old March 11th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Blueskies" wrote in
et:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Blueskies" wrote in
:

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message
This got me thinking, a rudderless Ercoupe in a multi-directional
wind landing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2NJFrvYls

Do you (I) really want a home that close to a GA landing strip? Yet
I see megabuck homes in my neck of the woods

http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?prt=85&t=1217861

http://preview.tinyurl.com/39avgz Use satellite mode

Am I missing something? Isn't this a bit off the safety charts?
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

Cake with a 'coupe. Faster than any other equal powered production
plane...

No, it wasn't. not by a long shot.

Luscombe, Rearwin, T cart. All faster on the same horsepower.

Bertie

Ercoupe 415, 85 hp, cruise ~110 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...ercoupe/1949-e
rcoupe-415-g.html) Luscombe 8F, 90 hp, cruise ~95 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...luscombe/1946-
luscombe-8a.html) Rearwin Sportster '8500', 85 hp, cruise ~103 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...n/Rearwin%20Sp
ortster.htm) Rearwin Speedster '6000C', 95 hp, cruise ~120 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...n/Rearwin%20Sp
eedster.htm) Taylorcraft BC-12D, 65 hp, 90-100 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...aylorcraft.htm)

That was fun. T cart is T-craft?

I've flown all of these airplanes except the Speedster, though I did talk
to one of the Rearwin Family about buying the first production airplane at
one time. I think it might still be for sale, but the price is big and it
needs complete restoration. It's Cirrus powered one. Th eMenasco powered
airplane cruised at 140 plus IIRC.

Those figures are rubbish for the Luscombe and the Ercoupe in particular.
All the foloowing figures are in MPH.
The Ercoupe will do about 95 to 100 on an 85 and the Luscombe will cruise
an honest 100 on a 65 and over 110 with an 85. The T-cart will do 95mph
with an A -65 ( My first airplane was a T-cart) The Sporster came with a
large variety of HPs depending and even the 60 HP one wil cruise at over 90
on a good day. a 90 HP Sporster is a fine airplane, BTW.
BTW, the luscombe still holds the closed course record for a production
airplane in it's class 69 years after it set the record. 129 mph, IIRC.
That was an A-65 posered one BTW.

Then there are airplanes like the Jodel 1040. with an O-200 it will lift
three 200 lb guys out of an 1100 foot strip with six hours endurance and
cruise at 120 mph. A Jodel D-12 will do over 100 with an A-65 and get out
of a 600 foot long strip with two guys on board.
The Ercoupe was a good performer, but it wasn't the best at anything.

Bertie
Old March 12th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

"Bill Watson" wrote in message ...
Blueskies wrote:
Home sweet home: http://www.airnav.com/airport/4N0

Very Sweet! Here's my little piece of heaven:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/8nc8

Living with it changes everything. Wish we had an approach but RDU
serves nicely when needed. A private fuel farm, 3.5 acres to romp on
and few restrictions is nice. The Maule makes any operation very
comfortable. Building an RV10 in the backyar hangar, double sweet.

Nigh time tailwheeling on grass after a weekend at the beach, priceless.

Got to get back to building...

Yes, working on a BD-4 in my 'barn'...

;-)

Old March 12th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

wrote in message ...
On Mar 10, 6:05 pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:31:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
If that bothers you don't think of landing at some of our back country
strips out here in the west. You would have a heart attack at most of
them trying to thread the needle of trees, cliffs, creeks, stumps,
critters, etc.......

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
N801BH

It's a little different when you miss a landing a kill a few pines v.s. the
neighbor's kids.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

The trick is to not "miss a landing"... Can you say,, Go
Around ??????????

I think I figured it out the other day. The trick to flying is controlling how quickly you stop....
Old March 12th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message ...

Ercoupe 415, 85 hp, cruise ~110 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...upe-415-g.html)
Luscombe 8F, 90 hp, cruise ~95 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...scombe-8a.html)
Rearwin Sportster '8500', 85 hp, cruise ~103 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...0Sportster.htm)
Rearwin Speedster '6000C', 95 hp, cruise ~120 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...0Speedster.htm)
[...]

We've got an old guy (as if I'm not) here who has 3 1/2 coupes, and he does like them. I was quoting him on the
performance numbers, so I can't say from personal experience. He also has a twister (raced it at Cleveland and Reno!) in
his hanger alongside the meyers 200. He likes flying circles around the cessners tho'...

So many airplanes, so little time...what is a T-cart? Your numbers seem to match up on that line...

Old March 12th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Blueskies" wrote in
. net:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Ercoupe 415, 85 hp, cruise ~110 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...s/ercoupe/1949
-ercoupe-415-g.html) Luscombe 8F, 90 hp, cruise ~95 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...s/luscombe/194
6-luscombe-8a.html) Rearwin Sportster '8500', 85 hp, cruise ~103 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...win/Rearwin%20
Sportster.htm) Rearwin Speedster '6000C', 95 hp, cruise ~120 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...win/Rearwin%20
Speedster.htm) Taylorcraft BC-12D, 65 hp, 90-100 mph
[...]

Oh sorry, nickname for a Taylorcraft. Mine was a BF 65 but had a
continental in it. Lovely little airplane. It's just been restored by the
present owner and is still flying at the age of 69.

I have factory figures for the airplane ( Original press publications from
the thirties for each)
Ercoupe 415-C A-65 powered:
cruise @ 80% 95, initial ROC 600fpm stall 37
And the postwar airplane with the 85
cruise @75% 100 mph stall 48 (?!!) initial ROC 750 FPM.

I have no idea why the stal speed jumped so much, bu tI suspect they didn't
correct indicated on the earlier airplane. 48 sounds high for a wing
Good thing they're more honest these days, eh?

The 415-E with the C-85 and an uppped gross weight they say will do 110 at
80%, which is definitely not true of any I know of, but it's climb has gone
down to 550 FPM. Mostly due to the increased gross of 1400 over the earlier
machine's gross of 1180. Electrics and all that..
I forgot about the Culver Cadet, of course, which is published at 120
cruise with an A-75. AFAIK, this was an honest figure for the airplane, but
I've never flown one. And the figures for the aforementioned Bellanca
Junior with just about any of the available 90 horse engines was from 120
to 126 mph. An that was a three seater.
Most of the 90 horse monocoupes would have eaten it for breakfast as well.

Some Ercoupe trivia has to include the twin fuselage someone made in the
fifties as an airshow curiosity and it holds a place in history as the
first aircraft to have a JATO bottle installed. There's a famous pic of
that flight with the airplane taking off at an absolutely insane angle of
climb.I'm sure it's on the net somewhere.

Bertie

Old March 12th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

[...]

I ran into that while looikng for info on the undercarriage, here's one of
the links:
http://www.geocities.com/~planes/cfacts/jato.htm

Peter

Old March 12th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Do you idiots NOT understand that if you do NOT snip that we will NOT go
down to see what you have to say?

Jim

Old March 12th 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 11, 9:59*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in .com...

"Blueskies" wrote in
.net:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Peter- Hide quoted text -

That angle of climb doesn't look insane to me. hell, my Zenith 801
looks like that on an off day...There must be another pic showing it
performing at alot higher climb angle.
Old March 12th 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-12, RST Engineering wrote:
Do you idiots NOT understand that if you do NOT snip that we will NOT go
down to see what you have to say?

Amen. If all I see on the first page is quoted text, I just hit N.

(No, the answer is not top-posting, either; that's just as evil.)
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? WJRFlyBoy Piloting 257 March 28th 08 01:26 PM
Airparks... .Blueskies. Owning 9 May 8th 06 04:14 PM
Airparks and clubs around Phoenix AZ ? gilan Home Built 3 March 9th 06 01:07 PM
Airparks near Austin TX TIm Gilbert Owning 14 October 3rd 05 03:18 PM
A New, New Direction for a Beaten Dead Horse Shawn Soaring 0 February 25th 05 01:57 PM