Mxsmanic , IFR sensations, and some other stuff

Old May 19th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gezellig[_2_]

Default Mxsmanic , IFR sensations, and some other stuff

Dudley Henriques formulated the question :
I for one don't want to see this forum die out from becoming nothing more
than an exchange of venom from angry people.
What I'm saying here gang is that I for one have decided that unless someone
posts something disrespectful to me personally, I intend to give people a
decent shot...and yes, that goes for Mxsmanic and any other simulator pilot
who shows up here with a respectful on topic post.

tThat pretty well sums it all. No one can keep adults from acting like
children but why not do that some place else? There is important things
to do here and people's lives are at stake. just my 2cents. :-(

Old May 19th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

A Lieberman wrote:
On May 18, 10:13 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

I know a little :-) Studied Kodokan Judo at the Kodokan. Rose to Nidan.
Favorite throw was Uchimata both sides. Lousy on the mat. I was fast as
hell in standing Randori an managed not to end up down there very often.
Sensi was Takihito Ishikawa.

Dabbled in Tai Chai Chuan and Kung Fu. Just enough to get me out of
street trouble growing up in inner city is all I wanted :-)

What impressed me about those skills is not the physical part but the
mental part and carrying them over to our everyday living part of this
being acutely what you sense or feel..

So, I try to carry the mental skills to my flying and be acutely aware
of my senses which based on yours and Roberts responses may be my
downfall :-)

I didn't mean to sound overly critical. It would be my wish that you
would possibly consider some residual reading on the extremely important
issue of physical sensation and IFR flight.
It's never too late to alter one's approach on something this critical.
Believe me, the best thing you'll ever do as a pilot is seek out and
actively encourage unmercifully truthful opinion on your performance.
I've been involved at times professionally and always as a friend with
the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels for decades. I have many
friends who flew on various teams. I've sat in on their post flight
debriefs where they openly review each show. At these sessions the rank
comes off and nothing exists but what was right and what was wrong.
I've based my own aviation career on this same philosophy. I've sought
out and considered the opinions of my peers and discussed openly with
them what they have observed of my performance.
It's just too important for anything else. I learn every day. You will
as well. We're both better pilots for this.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old May 19th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gezellig[_2_]

A Lieberman brought next idea :
I absolutely agree based on time and time again history, that any
feelings in the head absolutely has to be ignored, instruments are
there for that, but for verification of power adjustments, I see no
reason why AS A TOOL, the feeling in your rear end cannot be used as a
verification of the reaction of your actioin (adding or reducing
power).

The problem with feelings is that no two sets of feelers feel with the
same feeling. lol Then there are the sets of feelings that are felt
that are not consciously felt in terms of being able to explain them.

The discussion can be both descriptive and indescriptive unless it is
abouit what actions can or cannot be applied to your sets of feelings.

Why do I feel like singing out loud with Barbra Streisand?

Old May 19th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gezellig[_2_]

Dudley Henriques brought next idea :
I just want to make it absolutely clear that in my opinion, the ONLY
relationship between physical sensation and IFR is in understanding how
physical sensations can harm you and how to deal with them by instrument
referencing all the way through the scan down to primary panel.
I would NEVER attempt to verify an instrument reading by referencing a
physical sensation. In ANY situation where an instrument reading was suspect,
I would immediately extend my primary scan to include peripheral instruments
to verify the quality of the data that was suspect. Under NO circumstance,
would I EVER allow the time line necessary to include a physical sensation in
this equation. To do so in my opinion is dangerous not only in a possible
erroneous attitude input, but as well extends the time line to a recovery
input.

Being primarily creatures earthbound (land underfoot), where feelings
are our primary sources of instrument accuracy (speed in a car, wind in
our hair), its kewl to trust those sensory inputs. A lot of
day-in/day-out experiences too.

Old May 19th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gezellig[_2_]

Buster Hymen submitted this idea :
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:e1a5b2c5-9592-4e83-
:

When I was a kid, I was spun to dizzy, and
then staggered when I tried to walk.

You still haven't recovered.

In the spirit of this thread, adios asshole.

PLONKIE :-@

Old May 19th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike Isaksen

"Gezellig" wrote ...
Why do I feel like singing out loud with Barbra Streisand?

That could be considered Medically disqualifying !!!
;-)

Old May 19th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberman[_2_]

On May 18, 10:40*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

I didn't mean to sound overly critical. It would be my wish that you
would possibly consider some residual reading on the extremely important
issue of physical sensation and IFR flight.
It's never too late to alter one's approach on something this critical.

You are right, and I fully understand you and Robert about ignoring
leans and other erroneous UNSOLICITED feelings incurred in flight and
one MUST TRUST THE INSTRUMENTS when that happens. I am more talking
about expected feelings resulting from my input of power ONLY.

Yanks and banks as stated earlier as one cannot do this without
instruments in IMC and every text book covers this well...

I am the first one to acknowledge the problem is there with the inner
ear stuff, and have actively taking up VFR and instrument students
inside IMC so they can see it will kill them if they don't respect
it. Their reactions have been priceless and equally the same, they
(VFR pilots) won't touch a cloud.

Drifting a little here, the biggest flaw which fortunately did not
happen to me is that I am seeing way too many instrument pilots
getting their IA rating without touching a cloud in conducting
approaches. That bothers me the most. My instructor had me go down
to ILS minimums so when I did my first solo instrument flight with
1000 foot ceilings, it really was a non event. EXCITING yes!

It's just too important for anything else. I learn every day. You will
as well. We're both better pilots for this.

And it's exchanges like this that we learn from each other :-) I been
away from the student group for some time (first post I believe was in
1991 for me) because of the noise level and just thought I would pop
in to see if it was reduced and it hasn't changed I see.

And most importantly to me, is EVERYTIME I walk on the ramp to my
plane, I am in learning / student mode. NOTHING is taken for granted
by this pilot from preflight to tie down. It's only AFTER I put the
plane to bed by tying it down have I stopped flying the plane. I
believe most people believe they stopped flyiing the plane when they
shut down the master..

I go further......
Old May 19th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberman[_2_]

On May 18, 10:42*pm, Gezellig wrote:
A Lieberman brought next idea :

The problem with feelings is that no two sets of feelers feel with the
same feeling. lol Then there are the sets of feelings that are felt
that are not consciously felt in terms of being able to explain them.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE. And when that happens, instruments MUST be
trusted.

It's the absence of an EXPECTED feeling that should question the
validity of instrumentation.

In my case, and SUDDEN extreme pitch up displayed on my AI, I should
have expected positive G's in the seat of my pants. I did not get
that, therefore me flagging the AI and starting my cross check to my
secondary instruments for troubleshooting.
Old May 19th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I would NEVER attempt to verify an instrument reading by referencing a
physical sensation.

Thank you, Dudley, for weighing in on this all-important topic.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Apology re mxsmanic terry Piloting 96 February 16th 08 05:17 PM
I saw Mxsmanic on TV Clear Prop Piloting 8 February 14th 07 01:18 AM
Mxsmanic gwengler Piloting 30 January 11th 07 03:42 AM
Getting rid of MXSMANIC [email protected] Piloting 33 December 8th 06 11:26 PM
Feeling aircraft sensations Ramapriya Piloting 17 January 12th 06 10:15 AM