Are OLC and Contest Soaring really that different?

Old March 2nd 12, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Are OLC and Contest Soaring really that different?

On Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:43:38 PM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
On Thursday, March 1, 2012 9:28:46 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
And just in case anyone needed further proof that OLC Pilots and Racing Pilots are different: http://tinyurl.com/7j6b7mq

Exactly my point...

Why are OLC pilots somehow targets? Wow....

Hey Sean,

Having some good fun at your expense. You have to know the characters involved to understand the pictures and especially the comments. Bobby Templin and I have spent literally 100 hours together over the last few months working on a refinish project for our club Grob. I have the utmost respect for him, his flying, his intellect, and his contributions to our club and the sport (okay, maybe not for his choice of beer). The idea for this picture came up after a long afternoon of wet sanding while sitting around the wood stove yesterday with a group of the guys from Aero Club Albatross.

Picking on you was just keeping the gag going.

I thought the humor was self-evident. Sometimes, humor doesn't parse well over the Web I guess...

Sincerely,
P3
Old March 2nd 12, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Mar 2, 8:34*am, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

I wondered about all that dust around his face...............now I
know!

Are you sure he flies the rattiest LS-3 around? My buddy Ron Clark
flies an LS-3 that might give Bob some competition, Ron's LS-3, while
not even a 6 footer, regularly kicks our butt on the OLC up here in
Washington.

Brad
Old March 2nd 12, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Friday, March 2, 2012 11:48:54 AM UTC-5, Brad wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:34*am, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

I'd be willing to bet a 30 pack of Bush Beer on it! (think aluminum gear doors pounded out a few dozen times after landouts, black duct-tape, surface finish approximating a dry lake bed - you get the picture). Maybe the secret to being at the top of the OLC is to fly a ratty LS3?

Old March 2nd 12, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Mar 2, 8:34*am, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

Make it Busch Ice beer and you're on!

Hey, we are thinking about hosting a mountain soaring expedition
towards end of summer up here in Washington..........have Bob bring
that bird up here and we'll see!

Oh, and the locals love Busch beer too!

Brad
Old March 2nd 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

oh great beer snobbery has reached RAS Michelob Golden Light for
me!
Old March 2nd 12, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Friday, March 2, 2012 1:43:50 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
oh great beer snobbery has reached RAS Michelob Golden Light for
me!

We'll go as low as Iron City Light. Not a single rung lower...
Old March 2nd 12, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

On Friday, March 2, 2012 5:43:48 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
We'll go as low as Iron City Light. Not a single rung lower...

And there is a rung lower - Tech Beer. IC was nectar compared to Tech...

-John
Old March 2nd 12, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:48:23 -0600, John Carlyle
wrote:

According to Beer Advocate, Iron City Beer scored a 2.56 (out of 5). My
personal favorite is Olympia Gold, which scored a 1.28, with such glowing
reviews as:

" Pours clear yellow, kind of a bubbly head that collapses in the middle..
Smells like leaves floating in a stagnant pond. Sour, bitter, funky flavor
that is dominated by corn and ass. I won't even boil my brats in this
swill."

and

"In my junior year of high school, my friend stole one of his mother’s
beers from the fridge when we dropped by his house on lunch break. This
was one of the biggest adolescent mistakes we ever made (and we made a
lot). Oly Gold is about as bad as it gets. I can’t believe it’s still out
there."

Last time I bought a case, it was less that $10 for 24 cans. And worth
every penny.

--Stefan