Happy Winter Solstice Day!

Old December 22nd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default Happy Winter Solstice Day!

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message
But celebrating it at 0022 UTC you have to celebrate it a UTC -4,-5,-6...

No. You only celebrate it at 0022 UTC. It's the same time for every single
person on the planet.

Old December 22nd 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rick[_1_]

Danny Deger wrote in message ...

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Yesterday the Weather Channel went on and on and on for at least 15
minutes
about when winter would officially begin in EACH time zone! It was an
amazing display of stupidity.

They had a map showing each time zone's official start of winter,
including
the time down to the second. Yep, each time zone was only different

from
the next by, you guessed it.... EXACTLY one hour! [...]

Of course, the dumbest thing about that is that there's only ONE actual
time at which winter starts. This year, it's at 12:22am on Dec 22nd,

UTC.

In other words, celebrating the "start of winter" in each time zone, one
hour apart is incorrect, as is celebrating it at all yet. The start of
winter hasn't happened yet. As I write this post, it's still nearly six
hours away.

Pete

I must admit I am very happy rounding off the start of winter to the

nearest
day.

Heh. The fact that the days will start to get longer means nothing when
you've got another couple months of Upper Midwest Winter ahead. And as far
as it being "Winter" solstice, if you're in Australia or somewhere else
south of the equator...well, I'm just sayin'.

- Rick

Old December 22nd 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
I was told this by my college German professor, so I cannot vouch for its
accuracy as I don't speak all the languages.

Can you at least vouch for its making any sense semantically?

Winter solstice (Dec 21 or 22) is the shortest day of the year. At least
it is in English, German, and Russian.

In French, Spanish, and Italian it is the longest night of the year.

What does that mean? "in English, German, and Russian". In what
English-language-specific way is the Winter solstice the shortest day of the
year and at the same time *not* also the longest night of the year?

(Ignoring, of course, that the solstice is not a date, but a particular
moment in time...I'll take as granted that people often talk of the specific
date as the solstice even though technically that's not what it is).

Pete

Old December 22nd 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

Winter solstice (Dec 21 or 22) is the shortest day of the year. At least
it is in English, German, and Russian.

In French, Spanish, and Italian it is the longest night of the year.

What does that mean? "in English, German, and Russian". In what
English-language-specific way is the Winter solstice the shortest day of the
year and at the same time *not* also the longest night of the year?

Glass half-full, glass half-empty?

At least that's how I looked at it.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old December 22nd 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message
But celebrating it at 0022 UTC you have to celebrate it a UTC -4,-5,-6...

No. You only celebrate it at 0022 UTC. It's the same time for every
single person on the planet.

Which is exactly what I wrote.

Old December 22nd 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

From an engineer's point of view, the glass is WAY over-designed.

{;-)

Jim

Old December 22nd 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message
But celebrating it at 0022 UTC you have to celebrate it a
UTC -4,-5,-6...

No. You only celebrate it at 0022 UTC. It's the same time for every
single person on the planet.

Which is exactly what I wrote.

You wrote (see quoted text above): "you have to celebrate it a
UTC -4,-5,-6..."

That's quite a bit different. Your statement isn't even semantically
meaningful, never mind is it equivalent to what I wrote.

Old December 22nd 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
Winter solstice (Dec 21 or 22) is the shortest day of the year. At
least
it is in English, German, and Russian.

In French, Spanish, and Italian it is the longest night of the year.

What does that mean? "in English, German, and Russian". In what
English-language-specific way is the Winter solstice the shortest day of
the
year and at the same time *not* also the longest night of the year?

Glass half-full, glass half-empty?

At least that's how I looked at it.

That's not the question I'm asking. I understand the difference between
looking at the solstice as the longest day or night versus the shortest
night or day, respectively.

The question is, what is it that Jim claims causes the Winter solstice to be
"the shortest day of the year" in English? It's just as much the longest
night of the year in English as it is the shortest day.

His post implies there's some optimism in English, German, and Russian and
some pessimism in French, Spanish, and Italian, but completely fails to
explain where or how this optimism or pessimism is represented. Personally,
I doubt there's any basis to his claim at all, but since his post isn't even
clear about what his claim is it's kind of hard to say.

Pete

Old December 22nd 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

From an engineer's point of view, the glass is WAY over-designed.

{;-)

Jim

Or simply too large; but either way, a waste of resources.

;-)

Peter

Old December 22nd 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

The question is, what is it that Jim claims causes the Winter solstice to be
"the shortest day of the year" in English? It's just as much the longest
night of the year in English as it is the shortest day.

so what? it's redundant to say it's the longest night after saying it's the
shortest day.

His post implies there's some optimism in English, German, and Russian and
some pessimism in French, Spanish, and Italian, but completely fails to
explain where or how this optimism or pessimism is represented. Personally,
I doubt there's any basis to his claim at all, but since his post isn't even
clear about what his claim is it's kind of hard to say.

Shortest day, longest night, doesn't imply anything wrt optimism to me.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Happy Hollidays folks, Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Flyingmonk Home Built 1 December 14th 06 04:19 PM
Tie-down winter hazards [email protected] Owning 6 January 12th 05 10:23 PM
Winter Flying [email protected] Piloting 36 January 3rd 05 03:19 AM
Winter flying ops Viperdoc Owning 4 December 24th 04 01:29 AM
Survey - 3 blade prop conversion- Cockpit vibration, happy or not Fly Owning 20 June 30th 04 05:32 PM