A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

US Rules Committee to ban XC Soar in US soaring competitioneffective immediately? - Ahh the "genius!"

Old February 27th 12, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default US Rules Committee to ban XC Soar in US soaring competitioneffective immediately? - Ahh the "genius!"

As much as I hope that folks won’t cheat in soaring, I’m not optimistic.. I’ve seen WAY too much in my younger years in competitive golf (the gentleman’s sport cough). It still continues today. I play very little golf these days and one of the main reasons is the cheating. One of the most effective ways I saw of stopping it was to publically humiliate the offender in front of a large crowd of his/her peers. That works on many levels to bring an end to it. Let’s hope we don’t have to go to go down this road in soaring.
Craig
Old February 27th 12, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V
external usenet poster

Default US Rules Committee to ban XC Soar in US soaring competition effectiveimmediately? - Ahh the "genius!"

Let me give some advice. Don't try to talk to the software guys about
this. They have taken this as a personal insult against their
beautiful work!

As a professional software engineer (MS Computer Science) and over 30
years of real world software development experience, let me make these
two observations:

1. Some actual or potential customers can be a royal pain (in your
view). If you get personally insulted, grow thicker skin. You will need it.

2. Recognize bloatware when you see it. If a feature has no practical
application, leave it out.

just my 2 cents

Tony "6N"
Old February 27th 12, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie
external usenet poster

Default US Rules Committee to ban XC Soar in US soaring competitioneffective immediately? - Ahh the "genius!"

On Feb 26, 9:53*pm, Tony V wrote:
Let me give some advice. *Don't try to talk to the software guys about
this. *They have taken this as a personal insult against their
beautiful work!

As a professional software engineer (MS Computer Science) and over 30
years of real world software development experience, let me make these
two observations:

1. Some actual or potential customers can be a royal pain (in your
view). If you get personally insulted, grow thicker skin. You will need it.

Old February 27th 12, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have to wonder at what point if folks (like me)....when looking at the confusing compliance and scoring issues (to say nothing of leaving smartphones behind or disabling equipment) associated with contest flying...just decide "to heck with trying to figure it all out, plus the expenses/hassles of a road trip, etc...I'll just submit it to OLC and be done with it.".

I know that's the thought process I'm going through with all this. My day job has compliance issues enough for me...I'm not wanting to voluntarily bring that same type of pressure into something I'm ostensibly doing to enjoy on my time off.

RAS
Old February 27th 12, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8
external usenet poster

On Feb 26, 11:17*pm, wrote:
I have to wonder at what point if folks (like me)....when looking at the confusing compliance and scoring issues (to say nothing of leaving smartphones behind or disabling equipment) associated with contest flying...just decide "to heck with trying to figure it all out, plus the expenses/hassles of a road trip, etc...I'll just submit it to OLC and be done with it.".

I know that's the thought process I'm going through with all this. My day job has compliance issues enough for me...I'm not wanting to voluntarily bring that same type of pressure into something I'm ostensibly doing to enjoy on my time off.

RAS

OLC isn't racing.

T8
Old February 27th 12, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie
external usenet poster

On Feb 27, 7:45*am, T8 wrote:

RAS

OLC isn't racing.

T8

And glider racing is for the money and chicks. Oh wait - we do it for
FUN. And if it stops being fun...

TT
Old February 27th 12, 02:38 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8 View Post

RAS

OLC isn't racing.

T8
True enough.

No fatalities in OLC.

ZAP
Old February 27th 12, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Feb 27, 4:45*am, T8 wrote:

RAS

OLC isn't racing.

T8

The number of participants in the OLC, and the number of participants
in sanctioned racing events tells me OLC has more appeal.

Brad

Brad
Old February 27th 12, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8
external usenet poster

On Feb 27, 10:00*am, Brad wrote:
On Feb 27, 4:45*am, T8 wrote:

RAS

OLC isn't racing.

T8

The number of participants in the OLC, and the number of participants
in sanctioned racing events tells me OLC has more appeal.

Brad

Difference between house cats and tigers. Saying "house cats have
more appeal" may be demonstrably true. That doesn't make them
equivalent to tigers.

Racing is two orders of magnitude more intense than OLC. If OLC
scratches your itch, good for you. It doesn't even come close to
scratching mine.

T8
Old February 27th 12, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The RC had better start getting ready to inspect sunglasses worn at a competition:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/...into-searching