Encouraging participation in Handicap Competition

Old January 17th 14, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default Encouraging participation in Handicap Competition

In the UK a small team has been developing a new task type for club and
competition use.

We call it a Handicap Distance Task and its purpose is to overcome the
problems associated with setting tasks suitable for a wide range of
handicaps whereby high handicap gliders finish early and low handicap
gliders land out! We believe this discourages pilots to enter.

We apply handicaps to the task, not the results, resulting in a fairer
competition where the quickest round the task is the winner.

We have developed some software to facilitate the setting of Handicap Tasks
and the scoring of them in See You and I invite you to take a look. It is
free to use and we are keen to help clubs adopt the idea worldwide.

Please go to www.boffins.co.uk/gliding and take a look at the videos,
software, and documentation that we have produced.

Jim

Old January 19th 14, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Jim,

May I suggest posting your video's to YouTube or Vimeo?

I went to watch your videos and was required to install a DIVX or other similar CODEC software for my browser to view them. This was a 350 MB install and pages of legal agreements, etc. It tried to change my default search to BING and was full of advertisements and other attempt to sell me products and services.

After 3 minutes of dealing with that, I decided I had other things to do and cancelled the process. I was therefore unable to watch your video's.

Let me know if you post to an easy to consume video website as I would love to see what you have been up to.

Sincerely,

Sean

Old January 19th 14, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 12:15:44 -0800, Sean F (F2) wrote:

I went to watch your videos and was required to install a DIVX or other
similar CODEC software for my browser to view them. This was a 350 MB
install and pages of legal agreements, etc. It tried to change my
default search to BING and was full of advertisements and other attempt
to sell me products and services.

Sean,

VLC plays these videos without any fuss or any need for codec downloads,
etc. I run it under under Linux, but VLC is also available for most
operating systems, including iOS and Windows XP thru 8. IME its one of
the most capable video players around.

Its available he http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 19th 14, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gosh sorry Sean. A bit new to this but they are just avi files which I assumed would run in any windows os. I will look into it. How about mpegs?

Jim
Old January 20th 14, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 14:28:02 -0800, jimboffin62 wrote:

Gosh sorry Sean. A bit new to this but they are just avi files which I
assumed would run in any windows os. I will look into it. How about
mpegs?

AVI files are a bit of a rag-bag. The AVI specification merely defines
the format of a containing structure that holds the audio stream and
video frames and (hopefully) keeps the two synchronised. The formats used
for the audio stream and video frames can and do vary wildly. The codecs
used to decode and display the video are specific to the audio and video
formats, and are just as much of a grab bag as the choice of audio and
video formats made by the camera's manufacturer.

Using something more thoroughly standardised like a MPEG-1/2, MP4, WMV or
MOV may be a good idea.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 20th 14, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi All

I have put up wmv and mp4 versions of the videos for those of you that were having trouble with the avi format. They are bigger put perhaps better?

Jim

Participation John Cochrane[_2_] Soaring 21 June 17th 12 07:47 PM
handicap 5 ugly Soaring 1 November 26th 11 01:57 AM
Participation in contest Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 0 October 4th 08 02:52 AM
Increase competition participation by increasing the fun! Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 4 September 25th 08 03:40 PM
How is handicap weight determined for the SSA handicap list? AK Soaring 1 September 25th 07 01:43 PM