Part Time Aviation Jobs

Old April 21st 04, 09:06 PM
Curt Fennell

Default Part Time Aviation Jobs

What kinds of part time jobs are available for pilots besides CFI/II?
Is charter and or ferrying something one can do part time?

Also, I know you don't get paid to join the CAP, but do you have to
pay to fly with them once you join?

TIA,
Curt
--
Curt Fennell - curt at phins dot com
Old April 21st 04, 09:21 PM
Seagram

What kinds of part time jobs are available for pilots besides CFI/II?
Is charter and or ferrying something one can do part time?

Also, I know you don't get paid to join the CAP, but do you have to
pay to fly with them once you join?

TIA,
Curt
--
Curt Fennell - curt at phins dot com

Don't you know what CAP stands for ? Come And Pay.

Seriously though folks, yes assuming you have the patience to get qualified
to be a mission pilot, you can fly funded missions and exercises for which
CAP pays for the aircraft operation. If you fly the airplane for
proficiency, then you have to rent the plane, but the rate is usually below
market. Other stuff like uniform, annual dues, monthly squadron dues, food
& overnight while out on a mission is out of pocket for you. If you live in
a state where CAP is responsible for fire patrol during the summer it can be
some good flight time. Plus you're helping people with your flying which of
itself is a noble cause. Where else can you be a civilian and strut around
in a flight suit ?

Old April 22nd 04, 02:49 AM
Richard Hertz

"Seagram" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure I would want to be caught in a CAP "flight suit."

Old April 22nd 04, 07:51 AM
C J Campbell

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
. net...
Where else can you be a civilian and strut
around
in a flight suit ?

Not sure I would want to be caught in a CAP "flight suit."

Makes you look a Smurf. Get the green one instead.

Old April 22nd 04, 02:21 PM
Otis Winslow

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
. net...

Not sure I would want to be caught in a CAP "flight suit."

People I talk to tell me CAP is loaded with military rejects and wannabes
and
former military with large egos. While the flying part would be fun if you
actually got to do it, the environment doesn't sound too appealling. Having
played that game once in the early 70s, I wouldn't want to go there again.

Old April 22nd 04, 02:49 PM
Jay Honeck

People I talk to tell me CAP is loaded with military rejects and wannabes
and
former military with large egos. While the flying part would be fun if you
actually got to do it, the environment doesn't sound too appealling.

Having
played that game once in the early 70s, I wouldn't want to go there again.

I've heard these same stories. Nonetheless, my son is planning to join CAP
this summer.

I'll report back here from time to time on the environment they provide.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 04, 03:26 PM
Chuck Gerlach

Ok folks. There are green flight suits and there are several different
shades of blue flight suits. If you met the national grooming standards
(which aren't all the difficult except you can't have a beard which I do)
you wear the green one. Otherwise you wear the blue ones. No big deal.

Like any organization you have people with egos and people without. Egos
aren't limited just to the military. I don't know about the military
rejects and wannabees. In the 2 1/2 years I've been in CAP I've worked with
all sorts of people. A regular cross section of all the pilots I've know.

The single thread that ties all the volunteers together is volunteering time
(and money) to what they consider a good cause. It's hooky but that's the
way it is.

I'm not going to kid anyone. There is a lot of paperwork and regulations.
There are checkrides and practice missions. There are calls in the middle
of the night to find an ELT satelite hit. There is working your way up
through the specialities to become a mission pilot. (That in itself takes
several years.) That's just the way it is.

Now where do the stories come from? Someone joins a local CAP squadron and
it doesn't work out. Personalities, egoes, time, expectations, whatever. It
doesn't have to be bad, it just didn't work. They leave and spread the
word on how crappy CAP is.

I've said enough. I've got flying to do.

Chuck Gerlach

Old April 22nd 04, 03:54 PM

I was a cadet in CAP while I was in high school. I was an interesting and
educational time. One of the best times was a two week encampment at the
Air Force academy. I got a ride in a two seat F-16 that I still remember 24
years later like it was yesterday. There are also a lot of benefits to the
kid that is looking at going into the Air Force after graduation. I think
they go in as an Airman First class.

Paul Davis

Old April 22nd 04, 04:51 PM
Curt Fennell

Thanks for all the info about CAP. It's very interesting.

But what about the other part-time aviation jobs? Any thoughts...?

Curt
--
Curt Fennell - curt at phins dot com
Old April 22nd 04, 08:46 PM
gatt

Not sure I would want to be caught in a CAP "flight suit."

I had a very bad experience with a Texas branch of the CAP in 1995 in Baton
Rouge.

The kids were great. At least a couple pilots got bitched out by tower and
ground on freq 'cause they were so friggin' arrogant.

-c