Registration question

Old January 24th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Registration question

I'm reading the FAA CD for a Tcraft.
I see in '90 that it sustained substantial damage, was deregistered as
'totally distroyed', then sold.
Apparently someone resurrected it, because it was sold several years
later using the same N number and it's currently flying in Florida.
The CD (BTW) doesn't show any of what must have been major major work
performing this resurrection (my only reference is the CD; I haven't
seen the logs yet)

There doesn't seem to be the audit trail I'd like; I see a stream of
ownership, but although there is a document saying 'please deregister
this aircraft' there is nothing saying 'pick me back up'.

Should I be concerned? - Mike

Old January 25th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I would be very concerned... it appears as if the aircraft may be flying
with an expired / unregistered n-number. Also, if someone put it back
together, they did not re-register or realize it was deregistered.

BT

Old January 25th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I'm reading the FAA CD for a Tcraft.
I see in '90 that it sustained substantial damage, was deregistered as
'totally distroyed', then sold.
Apparently someone resurrected it, because it was sold several years
later using the same N number and it's currently flying in Florida.
The CD (BTW) doesn't show any of what must have been major major work
performing this resurrection (my only reference is the CD; I haven't
seen the logs yet)

There doesn't seem to be the audit trail I'd like; I see a stream of
ownership, but although there is a document saying 'please deregister
this aircraft' there is nothing saying 'pick me back up'.

Should I be concerned? - Mike

Check the FAA registration database at:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/defimg.asp

If it shows up there, it is registered. It is not uncommon for an
aircraft to be declared destroyed, "unregistered", and then reregistered
to "clean the slate" as it were after banks fail to clear liens and the
like. In many cases, the aircraft was not even damaged; it's just a
paperwork shortcut around bureacracy.

Good luck,
Rip
Old January 25th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

It's a Taylorcraft. It was wrecked and somebody built a new one. With
a tube and fabric airplane this is normal. All you need out of the
wreck is the data plate. Everything else can be bought new.

Old January 25th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

true... but the documentation needs to keep up with the airframe..
same SerNum, Same N# and FAA records said it was a total
nothing in his "CD" that shows any work done to resurrect the aircraft.

There was the same problem with a CAP L-23.
Damaged in a wind storm in Texas, taken to a military Depot in Amarillo and
left there.
Registration turned in to FAA as "damaged beyond repair".

Then it gets resurrected, parts rebuilt, and starts flying, without a valid
certificate of airworthiness, it was recorded in the FAA records as
destroyed aircraft, and the N number was "cancelled", luckily it was not
reissued to another aircraft. It took nearly a year for the CAP lawyers to
figure it out and get everything back in proper record with the FAA before
the CAP could legally fly it again.

BT

. ..

Old January 25th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Do I understand you correctly that if he has a valid airwortiness
certificate we're good to go?
What makes it a valid certification? He could be waving the old one
(pre reserection) for all I know - Mike

Old January 25th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

You think the Feds records are in order? What planet are you on?
Send a letter to FAA Oklahoma and ask some direct questions.